The mkiv Supra Owners Club

afr or egt whats best to have

mellonman

it only im going round brands hatch soon and some said about the egts, i have a afr fitted

would the afr lean out as the egts got hotter?

It's possible. Personally I'd just turn your boost right down. As it's your first track outing you won't get anywhere close to being able to use over 1 bar on a Supra. Even a stock Supra is quick enough for a novice :)

Look where you are going and let the thing look after itself is my advice. I have seen too many people have an off peering at something other than the track. A quick glance, on the straight, once per lap is what I would suggest. A rolling road or engine dyno is the place to check fuelling and EGT's ;) Given a choice I would always fit a decent AFR read out before considering an EGT guage.

They're also unreliable. I know of several members - including myself - who have bought them only to have them break.

so what happens when they brake is it the give out incorrect readings which would make you think all is good when not or was it a complete fail?

so what happens when they brake is it the give out incorrect readings which would make you think all is good when not or was it a complete fail?

Mine just stopped working completely, the screen went blank. I got an AEM AFR gauge instead and it worked perfectly.

People who have the EGT sensor fitted in the exhaust manifold and if they run big power it can melt the tip off the sender unit, and the only place it can go is into the turbo.

Thats why i have fitted mine in the Y pipe on the down section so if it was to fail and snap off it will simply come out into someones windscreen lol.

It does read alittle lower as its not that close to the engine so i just put on 100 degres then what the gauge says and i never really see more then 850 including my 100 i put on.

My last VEMS gauge broke but that was due to my crash as the wires got ripped out the AFR sender and joined together, after that the gauge would only ever read 21.8 all the time.

New gauge cost £125 and well worth everypenny IMO.

Anyone with a turbo petrol engine that is modified or being mapped should ONLY use an Inconel probe, These will still be there even when the pistons have melted :) They aren't cheap, but neither are new turbos. Caveat. I sell Inconel probes :) I strongly disagree with probes more than an inch or two from the ports of the head, in the downpipe they are next to useless. IMHO. You REALLY want a probe in the combustion chamber itself, even better, in all of them. This is possible but mega expensive. Next best option for us mortals is as near the exhaust port as you can get it / them.

Anyone with a turbo petrol engine that is modified or being mapped should ONLY use an Inconel probe, These will still be there even when the pistons have melted :) They aren't cheap, but neither are new turbos. Caveat. I sell Inconel probes :) I strongly disagree with probes more than an inch or two from the ports of the head, in the downpipe they are next to useless. IMHO. You REALLY want a probe in the combustion chamber itself, even better, in all of them. This is possible but mega expensive. Next best option for us mortals is as near the exhaust port as you can get it / them.

Whats the price on the probe Chris,many thanks Stu.