The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boostlogic t61 kit any good ?

TRD DAN

if i can get them to co-operate there are ways around import duties lol ;), i might send them an email, how much does the whifbitz kit work out at ?

dan

I was just looking in his turbokit thread, works out about £4075 with the 62mm turbo, but his is a twin WG, divided turbo setup.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?236548-Garage-Whifbitz-Twin-Wastegate-Turbo-kit

prices ?

dan

It'll probably work out more expensive but the kit includes every last nut, bolt, gasket, heat wrapping, heat shield, etc. a lot more than most other kits include. In terms of quality the HKS kit is also one of the best available.

HKS Setup Kit

Both these are both double ball bearing turbos so are expensive, a journal bearing turbo would be a cheaper option, but would be slower spooling.

Garrett GTX35R

Garret GT35R

It'll probably work out more expensive but the kit includes every last nut, bolt, gasket, heat wrapping, heat shield, etc. a lot more than most other kits include. In terms of quality the HKS kit is also one of the best available.

HKS Setup Kit

Both these are both double ball bearing turbos so are expensive, a journal bearing turbo would be a cheaper option, but would be slower spooling.

Garrett GTX35R

Garret GT35R

The GTX35r would surely be overkill to compete with a T61? The GTX30r is said to produce over 600HP :D

Nothing wrong with the boostlogic kit, personally i would go with one of the whifbitz turbo kits though, best turbokit out there imo, superb quality and nice to buy UK.

buying UK would be an advantage for sure.

I have had my T61DBB for the past 30K miles and it hasn't missed a beat, responsive, impressive torque and great power for a street car (

If I were to do it again, I might consider a more modern design, nevertheless the T61 has been tried and tested to death - you know exactly what you are getting.

imi

I agree. when the time comes im definetly going for the Whiffbitz kit.

If there is any problems at all you know for sure Paul will go out of his way to help.

And as everyone is saying its one of the best most complete kits on the market at the moment

• 6 months later...
Even in Japan the HKS kits are very expensive..

The HKS kits maybe a bit more but they include absolutely everything needed (gaskets, nuts, bots, fasteners, heat proof material, turbo shield, etc. etc.), more than other similar off the shelf kits, when you add on the cost of these extras there's probably not a lot in it price wise.

If I was doing a build now I'd buy a 14020-AT002 HKS Turbo Setup Kit, this is the full HKS kit minus the turbo (HKS turbos are made by Garrett), I would then spec my own turbo (a Garrett GTX35R would be my choice), this should work out quite a bit cheaper.

The HKS kits maybe a bit more but they include absolutely everything needed (gaskets, nuts, bots, fasteners, heat proof material, turbo shield, etc. etc.), more than other similar off the shelf kits, when you add on the cost of these extras there's probably not a lot in it price wise.

If I was doing a build now I'd buy a 14020-AT002 HKS Turbo Setup Kit, this is the full HKS kit minus the turbo (HKS turbos are made by Garrett), I would then spec my own turbo (a Garrett GTX35R would be my choice), this should work out quite a bit cheap.

Thanks Nic.. Good advice as usual..

I checked out the GTX35R in SA, its not too badly priced, works out to around R13500 (GBP1200) from the Garrett agent...No downpipe however, but fabricating one to fit should be relatively cheaper.. Total Cost for Turbo and kit is around - R38500.

The Boostlogic with a DBB is a little cheaper, and it couples to my existing Blitz Midpipe..Cost with DBB T61 - R30000

The other option is Whiftbitz "setup kit" with a GTX35R at a cost of R45000..

I would be looking to stay around 600hp so I can keep my Greddy Spec LS FMIC, and keep my TRD single plate clutch (Mkiv.com says its rated at 550rwhp)...

I have the Walboro pump, SARD 650cc, HKS f-con Vpro, should be a fast road car I reckon..

I checked out the GTX35R in SA, its not too badly priced, works out to around R13500 (GBP1200) from the Garrett agent...No downpipe however, but fabricating one to fit should be relatively cheaper.. Total Cost for Turbo and kit is around - R38500.

The HKS Turbo Setup Kit includes the downpipe, it basically includes everything for the turbo install except the turbo.

The kit also plumbs the wastegate back into the downpipe, unlike most other kits that exhaust the wastegate out of a screamer pipe, which is a lot cheaper/easier to fabricate. Some prefer the sound of the screamer pipe - imagine a 3L engine with an exhaust pipe 6" long at 6K+ rpm - they can sound good but are extremely noisy and can attract a lot of unwanted attention. If I was doing a build now I'd personally prefer the wastegate plumbed into the downpipe.

Pic of the HKS T04Z Kit

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7352/11003at001qq9.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)