The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it worth getting a tt

formatzero

Iv'e been looking for another supra for a while and was looking at tt's but i mostly do very short trips (shops and back) even at week ends i dont go that far and was wondering if this would be detrimental to the car and if i would be better with an n/a,your thoughts please :)

Mine is my one and only car - its used for shopping, nipping to town, everything! Its a frigging car at the end of the day, admittedly a fat, thirsty bitch of a car, but keep it off boost (not hard in NCPs) and, like I've said before, its just a big lazy Toyota. My 'in between' Supras 330 Beemer was just as thirsty round town but you don't see Beemer owners advocating using a smaller car for the weekends! Buy a TT, drive it every day, the love just grows!

Currently using Audi tt which is probably all i need(was great in the snow this winter)however there is something about the supra shape,if i buy an n/a wouldn't need to sell the audi,one for summer one for winter seems a good compromise.Mind you would be good to own a car that could scare me before i retire:D

Currently using Audi tt which is probably all i need(was great in the snow this winter)however there is something about the supra shape,if i buy an n/a wouldn't need to sell the audi,one for summer one for winter seems a good compromise.Mind you would be good to own a car that could scare me before i retire:D

Get a Supra TT and as long as you go for a good blast on the weekends and don't just use it as a shopping car then it'll be worth it :D

i personley think the only question that should be asked.

is it worth buying an N/A.

I have a van for going to work in because its cheeper to run and dont want to park my supra on a building site.

But once im home i use my TT for everything would never even think about useing anything else.

even make up the most stupid of excuses just to jusify to myself for driving it. like was that a dead badger i saw on the side of the road while driving home from work or just a white line painted on a funny angle.

Buy a TT you wont regret it and i have owned both N/A and TT

It's a little pointless having a Supra if you aren't going to use it for some nice driving at some point though. If it's going to be a 2 mile journey to the shops every other day, or a jaunt to work then you won't get the essence of the car... IMO of course.

If you were planning on getting one with the aim to take it out for a country blast every now and again then it would be a totally different kettle of fish. Using the car daily for mediocre tasks is fine, but it would be a waste not to stretch its legs and enjoy some real road driving in it.

Out of the two it would have to be the TT, you have to experience the car in the way that Toyota fully intended, given the choice.

I would argue that the Na is more than enough for what you want. Although if you look at it from a cost v's performance then the TT is a no brainer. The insurance and fuel would be about the same, it's the initial outlay that is the problem.

H.

If I had the money I would take an Aston to the shops....

Basically, as others have said it is a car and doesn't need to be babied, just serviced and looked after. I enjoyed pootling around in mine, long weekend drives and everything in between. It is what you make from it. My NA was lovely and I enjoyed just sitting in that seat, with the 'cockpit' feel and the way it made me feel as a driver.

N/A's aren't cheap to run although they are cheaper than TT's. Old 3.0 litre engine doesn't exactly give 40mpg.

If you do a short run every so often then just buy a cheap 1.2 beater.

Scott M said it best, buy a TT to drive for decent runs when you can enjoy it, not for popping to the shops where it will cost you a fortune in petrol and likely get dinted by some bint with a shopping trolley.

..all driving is good driving in a supra. If you want one, just buy one...the fact you're even thinking about it means you wont really be happy with anything else...it's just a car, buy one..if you change your mind after a while..sell it.

N/A or TT..dunno.. I have N/A..but I'm with Ellis on this, if you want a little better economy or whatever..just stay off the boost. Isn't that just another advantage of the turbo...it doesn't have to be spinning flat out all the time :)

A TT and and N/A will handle infrequent short journeys the same, and the same as any other car. Wear will increase, but they are fine so long as you are aware that no engine likes constant cold starts and short journeys where water is not driven from the oil and full temperatures are never reached in the diff and gearbox.