The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra friendly alarm installer in Northants area?

Shane

Just changed insurers and need to provide proof of a Thatcham Cat1 alarm installed. I didnt get one with the car which is fitted with a Autowatch system. Tried calling Autowatch but didnt really get very far and the nice lady said she would check her database and call me back, but still waiting. Didn't bode well when I explained the situation and that I didnt have any paperwork relating to the alarm and she asked what model of alarm was fitted. Asked her how I could determine this and she said have a look at your installation certificate :search:

I have saved enough cash on the insurance to pretty much pay for a new alarm, but seems a shame when this one works well and the insurers just want proof that it exists and is fitted and working correctly.

Edited by Shane
typo (see edit history)

i've just had the same issue mate.. mine has a toad which is approved.. guys at ice were pretty sound, and checked it out.. to get the certificate they have to actually find the alarm (behind dash somewhere) and check wiring etc which will be £30.

one guy i rang told me because my car was a 93* i would need to buy a new alarm which he would fit (mobile) for £350.. i just laughed and hung up!

Thought I would write a follow up to this just in case any other members had similar problems in the future.

My new insurance company asked for proof of Cat1 security fitted properly fitted and working by a VSIB installer. It seems that they dont really know what they are talking about as VSIB went down the pan a couple of years ago. Since October 2010 a new register has been set up run by Thatcham. Installers should be a TRI (Thatcham Registered Installer) and all TRI's are encouraged by Thatcham to be in a postion to give systems a health check and providing that confirms the system is working ok and installed in accordance with the Thatcham spec then the TRI is permitted to issue a certificate and register the system on the new database, that will in time be available to all insurance companies. Seems not all the insurance companys are aware of this yet or had their forms and paperwork changed accordingly but it is only a matter of time and their is a campaign ongoing to get the mess left over from the VSIB collapse sorted out. Thatcham consider £20 -£40 to be a reasonable cost for this service but it this at the discretion of the TRI. A second call to someone sensible at Autowatch got me this information and was given a number of a TRI co-ordinator for the East Midlands who was really helpful and put me onto a TRI very local to me who has said if I take my car to him he will do it for free. Surprised, but pleased at this I asked how he could afford to do it for free? He said it was all part of the service and they are keen to promote the new scheme and he personally felt if I was happy with the service he provided for this I would likely to use him in the future. How cool but unusual today is that?

I did call NAP where Steve recomended and they too were helpful, although they wanted around £70+ VAT and although I was happy to pay that, the TRI guy near me is a much better deal.

I also called icedotcom, I spoke to a bloke who spoke like AliG/Fats from Enders who didnt have a clue and went away to ask his boss, he came back and said the only way they could give me any documentation was to pay them to rip out my own alarm and fit one of theirs. I asked him if he was sure about that as someone else I knew had recently been there and had his system checked, so he went away again "innit" and came back and said they didnt offer that service. So fizzle you obviously speak the lingo innit and is a chilled guy "do ya know what I's saying" and they liked you. In fact the phone call was so much fun, later in the day we called them back on speakerphone from the workshop and asked them some questions about other stuff just for a bit of a chuckle.

Edited by Shane
typo (see edit history)