The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brands hatch 20min taster

mellonman

Hi all

just wondering is there anything that is a must for doing a 20 min taser round brands hatch? ie:

tyre pressures,coolent,boost,oil, ect

never taken my car on the track before so booked up the taster to see what its like,so if anyone has any pointers on what to and what not to do would be a great help

thanks

tyre pressures,coolent,boost,oil, ect

Make sure all of the above are perfect before going on track, and also that there's enough pad left on your brakes for a bit of a hammering.

Don't try and be the quickest out there, just find your own pace and go at that. If you go too fast the Supra will bite you. Be prepared to become seriously addicted seriously quickly :)

I did my first track day this month too at Brands. We booked up an entire day, open pit lane. Was a brilliant day.

Are you doing the GP or Indy setup?

Paddock hill bend is the bit to be careful on. The depth and bend on this corner really proves how much grip your Supra actually has, but hit the brakes too late (beyond the 50 mark) and things can go very wrong as I've yet to show when I upload pics of my track day. I probably only had the balls that day to reach the 75 mark.

At the beginning of the day, I was being overtaken by everyone, even Saxos. By the end, I wasn't overtaken at all (only the R35 swinging around every damn corner like it's no-ones business). You just need to take it one step at a time, and better yourself as you go along. It's a shame you only have 20 minutes since I found that a day wasn't even long enough!

Once you get a feel for it, I'd suggest booking up again! It's fantastic, and very addictive.

its the indy circuit im doing,i will be doing a half or full day next just want to get the feel of it first and see what i need to do.

should state that i have the auto tt,bpu with hybrids

i have 18's on the car i normally run 34 psi is that still right for track

what about engine oil any special ones halfrauds doing some track one worth putting in?

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

i must admit it would be a nice day if the club done a day there, but think it would have to be put into stages as there are some real mosters out there set for track and experianced drivers and slow novice drivers dont really mix well on a track, imo, but yet to really find out just going by what i get out on the kart track but guess if they was in there own car they may well take more care.

Use Manu mode.

Remember to take a break every so often and let things cool down. Lots of things get hot you wouldn't realise.

If you have jspec brakes and you feel the peddle going soft take it slow and come in the pits till they have cooled down. Or you will arrive to a corner with no brakes.

My legnum (big heavy estate with quite small brakes) at the club trackday after 6-7 laps of a small track and the pads were smoking. Lol

Always do a slowing down/cooling lap.

When stopped in the pits don't leave the handbrake on as I believe it causes the disks to warp?

no instructor will do that next time, wow im glad people have said about the hand brake i didnt know that,

I do have uk brakes with groved disc and chris wilsons fast road pad (best pad i have had :thumbs: ). so hopefully wont get too much faid.

As im only out for 20min and the first 3 laps are with a pace car looks like its all the time out as i wont be going mad,

i had the noise test done already i hit 101 db and the limit is 102 db so well lucky there as i have a bung in already.

im getting excited now just want to be there! please dont rain,please dont rain !

no instructor will do that next time, wow im glad people have said about the hand brake i didnt know that,

I do have uk brakes with groved disc and chris wilsons fast road pad (best pad i have had :thumbs: ). so hopefully wont get too much faid.

As im only out for 20min and the first 3 laps are with a pace car looks like its all the time out as i wont be going mad,

i had the noise test done already i hit 101 db and the limit is 102 db so well lucky there as i have a bung in already.

im getting excited now just want to be there! please dont rain,please dont rain !

I'd be very carefull about the egt's arround a track with a testriction in the exhaust

Guest PaulT
as its a auto am i best off useing it in manual mode or just leave in auto anyone raced there auto and tryed it

Probably leave it in auto as you are getting to know the circuit, but beware if you boot it mid-corner and it suddenly changes down. Could try putting it in manu mode and switching between 2nd and 3rd as needed. Leave the overdrive off.

Paul.

Probably leave it in auto as you are getting to know the circuit, but beware if you boot it mid-corner and it suddenly changes down. Could try putting it in manu mode and switching between 2nd and 3rd as needed. Leave the overdrive off.

Paul.

I would expect to do the whole lap in 3rd (apart from Druids) with an auto. You should have no problems with your brakes but expect your tyre pressures to go well up. If you have a mate in the pits, come in after a few laps and drop the pressures. Don't boot it in the middle of any corner. Learn the circuit before you push it. Remember the way to a quick lap is to come out of a corner quicker than you went in. If you go in too hot you'll lose speed onto the straight - not that there is a real straight at Brands Indy. The entrance to Paddock bend is blind so you'll need to learn it - probably they'll have cones out to show the turn-in point. Keep it smooth and you should be OK.

ps. I was an instructor there a few years ago and have done a few (thousand) laps!

I'd be very carefull about the egt's arround a track with a testriction in the exhaust

Not much i can really do about that is there?

the 2 decats are heat wrapped and i have a afr guage but thats it.

should i knock the boost down abit i run at 1.3 bar

Not much i can really do about that is there?

the 2 decats are heat wrapped and i have a afr guage but thats it.

should i knock the boost down abit i run at 1.3 bar

1.3 is ok if your not on jspecs :)

Not quite sure the point of heat wrapping decats is. That's a new one on me tbh

I did this taster day about 8 years ago. I wouldn't worry too much about the small details. Just make sure the fluids are to spec and pressures OK (as you would for the road) and you'll be fine - I personally would run low boost, as it is mastering the corners, not the blasting down the straights that is enjoyable. Like you say, you start off following the leader and then for the free lapping that follows there will be so many track numpties all driving everywhere but the racing line (including you), that you'll barely get any space to push the car too hard. The 20mins is over before you know it which is a bit frustrating, but the overall experience is good for the nervous newbie.

im gonna be dropping the boost down to 1.1 just for safety as alot have people have said. its not like i will have space or know the track well enough to even bother pushing it,

this is my first go as the supra is not used as much as i would like anymore :( and if i like it as i live 5 min from brands i feel it will spend more time there then on the road :D

i wrapped the decats just because they was off and might help drop engine bay temps at a silly cheap price why not. :innocent:

i know well cheap but you can only do it 3 times and then you have to do track day events being half/full days,

im going on the 15th march if anyone wants some of it then you can book at http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cvpw6zJJvTavuA9K4hQfxqejzD-url8cB1-KVpg_LsMvNKwgAEAFQq-mPvP7_____AWC7vq6D0AqgAZm9rP4DyAEBqQKz5hyEDUu7PqoEFk_QUNZF-xzTc9PScZtMLDfNCSnNKvA&sig=AGiWqtzGdrcgSrwkxRkd4WDdOCz1A9762Q&adurl=http://www.clubmsv.com

enjoy