The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Supra for the Toyota Sprint Series

Guest PaulT

Here's a 95 n/a auto for class C Pro.

Phase one complete: removal of interior and aircon, R888 tyres.

No parts have been replaced with lighter ones, except the seats doh, mainly removal of unnecessary stuff [GRIN][/GRIN]

Corner weights:

FL 377kg

FR 359kg

RL 300kg

RR 315kg

Total 1351kg, half tank of fuel.

Testing at Barkston Heath tomorrow, might get some times in the dry.

Paul.

Edited by PaulT (see edit history)

Guest PaulT

It is fun to drive, but could be better! You do notice the loss of 100kg or so.

I started slowly and built up to 62-second laps around the reverse course. Wasn't going completely mental as this was my first effort on the track in the Supra.

This compares to my previous best of er 62 seconds in the Aygo last year and also around 62s in my Soarer TT on the forward course back in 2007 when I started sprinting.

You have to see these times in context. The Soarer had a lot more power and torque (so would be in a higher class), TEMS dampers and also 6-pot 335mm brakes on the front. The Aygo had three years of development and me practising, so although it only had 67bhp it was quite quick.

The Supra has a lot more potential but it wallows a bit on soggy stock suspension and the jap-spec brakes started to go a bit soft and smelt of burning after three laps on the bounce. There are plans to fix both of these problems with proper pads / fluid and coilovers. Not really much point in ragging the car too much until we have done this.

The engine is a bit of a disappointment really. It is heavy and a bit slow to rev, so not that great with an auto box. I am missing the 1jz, but that would put me up a class. The 1uzfe seems like a good bet, so we will have to see what the budget allows.

Otherwise, the auto box is great! I launched consistently from a standing start every time and the response mid-corner is unexpectedly positive if you have enough revs on the engine. I'm thinking rwyb and see what the straight-line pace is like.

Alex did a 58 last year in the sprints, and Andy Barnes has a 52 recorded with a Supra running 580bhp or so, so quick times are possible even on this tight course. I think the track will be worth one second when it rubbers in after a day's sprinting, the rest we will have to get by improving the car and of course the driver :cool:

Paul.

I'm surprised it's come out heavier than mine did in 2009, which was 1394kg (+78kg for driver) with the air conditioning and stock seats - I'll see if I can find a local weighbridge to get a more up to date figure.

I am 90% on running the NA again this year, at least at the start - competition looks rather tough in class C!

As for weight saving, the only things done on craigs car are , stripped rear interior, sound deadening, light weight seats, air con has been removed as well. The only interior in the car is the door cards, dash, and centre console.

Guest PaulT
What have you done to lose all that wait?

Removal of interior, stereo, speakers, stock seats, rear wiper, motorised aerial, air-con. It all adds up. The guys reckon we could lose something from the dash as well, and then you can cut away airways to the feet, and dash, and the water spray on the rear window needs to go as well.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PaulT

Just got the car back today after some gearbox work. We have added 8mm shims to the 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd actuator springs and the gear change has become a lot quicker.

Also got a new air filter, just stock, but the old one was unbelievably clogged! Revs a lot better now :)

Haven't been able to do the brakes or cage yet, but they are in the post.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...
How's this going for price? I'd love to get involved but don't know if I can budget it...

What prices are you curious about? You can run a street car in a street class with little to no modification (presuming you would not be in Class A1), events are £120 each, you'll require a suitable helmet and gloves, and you'll have the expected petrol costs plus wear & tear.

It shouldn't be that expensive if you didn't want it to be, but it does depend on the current state of your car. :)