The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Traction in Winter

Manic

Err, yep it is only July, but, can anyone tell me what it is like driving an NA in the snow.

I was considering putting her away for the really bad weather and using Public Transport if it was horrendous.

I know this isn't topical at mo, I was just curious for some feedback.

Matt

Yep. Last winter scared me senseless, but for some reason I got through the previous one fine. I got stuck twice and had to be helped out - once was on my own driveway.

Next year if its snowing I aint driving it - period.

Bobbeh's right - it's not the car itself, but the tyres that are important. I literally couldn't move my Supra in the snow in the winter (even with the "snow mode" enabled on the traction control), but a friend came over with his Supra with snow tyres on and could drive almost normally. Had to push it back into the garage and await the onset of spring :)

After my experience last winter which was the first where i saw snow while owning the supra, not taking the sup out in the snow again as i had problems even on small inclines with the wheels spinning and now i have wider tyres. In the rain it's just a case of getting the hang of it.

I've driven my NA in thick snow and as others have said it's quite tricky and you have to be so delicate with your right foot. I had trouble getting out of my doctors car park because of the slightest of inclines.

Worth having a play in the snow though, as long as you can get home again.

Snow is defo a no go for me. Was on a slight hill and hand to stop at the top on a junction tried gently pressing gas pedal and all a got was a flashing TC light tried it of and the wheels span up. Tried it in manual mode in 2nd and 3rd no go again so some nice fellas gave me a push on my way.

The most scariest moment was when I was crawling down a hill in traffic (about 15 degree gradiant) now I had my A/C on now I don't no if anyone else has found that it seems to be the only way to stop windscreen steaming up without boiling yourself, the A/C kick in and the revs raised just enough to kick the arse end out and I went sideways down the hill lucky for me I missed everyone and managed to grab it back half way down.

I wouldn't take anything out in the snow that was half decent-

firstly think of all the other "bad" drivers who can hit you!

secondly- snow usually = gritters, which = rock salt! Rock salt isn't the most friendly thing to have plastered all over your car!

The phrase "fair weather car" springs to mind!