The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Auto to Tiptronic conversion (finally after 2 years)

ManwithSupra

After sourcing a few final parts and after 2 years of deciding to go ahead or not after i bought the majority of the kit. I am finally getting myself sorted and installing my aftermarket Auto to Tiptronic conversion.

Hopefully Ryan will still be able to help me with the wiring :innocent:

The conversion is not using the stock ECU in any way, this setup has its own ECU to control the box where every parameter is adjustable :D (say hello to a few broken auto boxes in the future)..

My Steering setup will consist of the Momo Nero steering wheel, Tiptronic paddle shifter with integrated display which reads out the following measurements depending on selection.

* Current Gear

* Throttle Position

* Vehicle Speed

* Manifold Pressure

* Coolant Temperature

* Transmission Temperature

* TCC Lockup %

* Line Pressure %

* Engine RPM / 10

* Torque Converter Slip

* Transmission Slip

* Driveshaft RPM / 10

* Auto Turbine RPM / 10

* Lever Position

I will also be installing Sparco push buttons to switch between different Shift modes, Race (Harsh and fast) and Road (Quick but Soft), I will also be installing a Dyno mode button (a nice feature of the ECU) and converting the stock MANU button to switch between paddle shifts and Standard Automatic.

The ECU is compatible with pretty much any electronically controlled Auto box so if the A340E does not prove to be a good candidate then I am sure there is another box out there that would be (and could be made to fit)

Anyway here are some teaser pics :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=127423&d=1298501812

attachment.php?attachmentid=127424&d=1298501812

attachment.php?attachmentid=127425&d=1298501812

attachment.php?attachmentid=127426&d=1298501812

attachment.php?attachmentid=127427&d=1298501812

attachment.php?attachmentid=127428&d=1298501848

attachment.php?attachmentid=127429&d=1298501848

attachment.php?attachmentid=127430&d=1298501848

attachment.php?attachmentid=127431&d=1298501848

attachment.php?attachmentid=127432&d=1298501848

attachment.php?attachmentid=127433&d=1298501869

Some of the installed pics of the kit .... getting there..

attachment.php?attachmentid=127821&d=1299426478

attachment.php?attachmentid=127822&stc=1&d=1299426913

attachment.php?attachmentid=127823&stc=1&d=1299427447

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

that's very nice!

now you make me want to sell my manual w58.

how much aprox does the conversion cost, if you don't mind asking?

Well its still an ongoing conversion but i reckon it will total no more than £1500,

So far the parts have cost around £1k and thats everything needed to install the kit (including steering wheel, boss, airbag deactivation kit etc)

Well its still an ongoing conversion but i reckon it will total no more than £1500,

So far the parts have cost around £1k and thats everything needed to install the kit (including steering wheel, boss, airbag deactivation kit etc)

that's not a bad price, does the airbag deactivation kit comes separate, or as a complete package? i don'd have airbags.

that's not a bad price, does the airbag deactivation kit comes separate, or as a complete package? i don'd have airbags.

You know i really cannot remember for sure now :)

I am pretty sure the airbag deactivation kit didnt come with the steering boss and i got it seperate... but i cant be sure it was a while ago now lol.

You know i really cannot remember for sure now :)

I am pretty sure the airbag deactivation kit didnt come with the steering boss and i got it seperate... but i cant be sure it was a while ago now lol.

thanks anyway mate, and keep us uptadet with this. (and if possible, a how to do) :D

i have been thinking in get a auto convertion for a while.

finally a choice other than the overpriced v160 convertion . where did you buy the controller from and who programmed it ? ive been looking at these and cant find anyone in the uk using or selling them.

finally a choice other than the overpriced v160 convertion . where did you buy the controller from and who programmed it ? ive been looking at these and cant find anyone in the uk using or selling them.

Erm, Auto has always been a choice, the only difference is you can use the paddles, you'll still have just the 4 gears, so not really an alternative to a 6 speed manual box.

Really interested to see how this turns out though, will this allow you to completely overide the auto box(ie change down into high revs) and use engine braking, will it also been an instant shift?

Subscribing to this anyway:)

but this box can control lexus auto boxes as well, so 5,6 or even 7 or 8 is possible if some can program the box. ive looked at the software which is windows based but it not easy to understand

Really interested to see how this turns out though, will this allow you to completely overide the auto box(ie change down into high revs) and use engine braking, will it also been an instant shift?

Yes everything that is controlled electronicaly on an Autobox can be adjusted.

All the parameters for changing down are adjustable via speed tables and if i remember correctly you have 3 speed tables..

1st is Fully automatic, with this table you can have exactly the same shift down/up speeds as stock if you wanted or you can have a custom setting, its totally up to you. This is not for use with the paddleshifter but for normal Automatic driving.

2nd is Semi-automatic this is when you have the paddle shift in place but the ECU won’t let you shift down until you reach the speed vs. rev limit that you have set so no risk of popping the box or engine.

3rd is fully Manual and you can shift when you want to whatever gear you want at whatever speed... obviously that’s a bad idea but its nice to know you can have that if you want.

If the engine braking is either electronically controlled or is a standard automatic mechanical feature (i.e does not require a person to do something) of the Auto box then yes engine braking can be controlled by this unit...However In the A340E engine braking is not controlled electronically it requires physical movement of the shifter, and engine braking is only in 1st and 2nd.

In the shift tables you can also change the hardness and speed of the changes even to the point of popping the box.

but this box can control lexus auto boxes as well, so 5,6 or even 7 or 8 is possible if some can program the box. ive looked at the software which is windows based but it not easy to understand

The ECU can control pretty much electronically controlled Auto box.

There are base config files for certain boxes the Supra Transmission being one of them :) however if there is not a base config for the box you want to use then there are instructions on how to set up the software from scratch using pretty much whatever box you want.

The software isn’t very understandable when you first look at it, but once you have played about with it a bit done some test's it all makes utter sense :D

Did the Suprastick not interest you or is this conversion a league above?
Suprastick doesn't work with our Supras.

After sourcing a few final parts and after 2 years of deciding to go ahead or not after i bought the majority of the kit. I am finally getting myself sorted and installing my aftermarket Auto to Tiptronic conversion.
About bloody time. I'm still waiting to take you up on this offer...

...If you could get back to me asap that would be fantastic if you like as soon as the Triptronic conversion has been done i will personaly come up to see you and demonstrate this product to see what you think....

That was nearly 3 years ago! :)

Suprastick doesn't work with our Supras.

About bloody time. I'm still waiting to take you up on this offer...

That was nearly 3 years ago! :)

I know mate, terrible isn't it, so many things have gotten in the way (operations, deaths, marriages & finances) but now as things have settled a bit... promises will be kept :) be it bit late :D

Did the Suprastick not interest you or is this conversion a league above?

http://www.latentsolutions.com/products.html

The Suprastick was designed for use with the older manual line pressure controlled transmissions,

The auto transmission line pressure as well as other things on our Supra is electronically controlled therefore the Suprastick cannot be used.

Edited by ManwithSupra
spelling (see edit history)

David2009 has Supra stick working in his NA, but I know the NA box is diferent, although he is in the proccess of modifying a TTbox to work with it too.

The Suprastick was designed for use with the older manual line pressure controlled transmissions,

The auto transmission line pressure as well as other things on our Supra is electronically controlled therefore the Suprastick cannot be used.