The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers: im gonna jump!

Noz

I've had a shock absorber fail me and currently look like im limping, so instead of replacing it with KYB gas absrobers I think im gonna take the plunge and buy myself some proper corners!

im on a tight budget due to have college fee's in may and for my own needs dont think im going to need anything too super.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BC-Racing-BR-Series-Coilovers-Toyota-Supra-JZA80-93-98-/270706703406?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f07607c2e

seen this BC Racing coilovers, they state the ride height can be adjusted without changing the travel so does that mean they are dual perch?

other set ive seen where the D2 Racing, are these a better set?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D2-Racing-Coilovers-TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80L-93-98-street-/230589169631?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b02f7fdf

thanks in advance for advice :-)

I personally have found Meister R's far better than the HSD's, the quality and adjustability just seem far superior to the HSD's.

When did you get them? The older gen ones are HSD as far as I know ;)

The new HSDs are better than the old ones, but I haven't read anything on the new Meisters. Have you had both? Set up the same way?

When did you get them? The older gen ones are HSD as far as I know ;)

The new HSDs are better than the old ones, but I haven't read anything on the new Meisters. Have you had both? Set up the same way?

I got my first set about 2 years ago for the Civic, second set about 10 months ago for MX5 and 6 months ago for the Supra, MX5 and Supra ones are both new style Meisters, the 1st thing that becomes apparent is that the meisters can be set at a softer ride, which is much more comfortable, I have never had HSD's set to exactly the same setting as the Miesters as I'm no geo guy, so I've not got the equipment, so although it appeared to be a little more responsive on the Meisters, that could of been the way they were set up, but having had them set at roughly the same hight, the HSD's appeared to 'crash' on the bumpy back lanes at speed, whereas the Meister's seemed to soak up the bumps without smacking your head on the roof and needing to correct the road position.

Plus, the new Meister's just seemed better quality than everything else out there. If price is no object for a set of coilovers I would still go for the Meister's IMO.

I got my first set about 2 years ago for the Civic, second set about 10 months ago for MX5 and 6 months ago for the Supra, MX5 and Supra ones are both new style Meisters, the 1st thing that becomes apparent is that the meisters can be set at a softer ride, which is much more comfortable, I have never had HSD's set to exactly the same setting as the Miesters as I'm no geo guy, so I've not got the equipment, so although it appeared to be a little more responsive on the Meisters, that could of been the way they were set up, but having had them set at roughly the same hight, the HSD's appeared to 'crash' on the bumpy back lanes at speed, whereas the Meister's seemed to soak up the bumps without smacking your head on the roof and needing to correct the road position.

Plus, the new Meister's just seemed better quality than everything else out there. If price is no object for a set of coilovers I would still go for the Meister's IMO.

You have had HSDs though? When did you have them and on which car?

As far as I am aware the newer Meisters have much softer dampers than the other brands on the market. Making them more suitable for the UK roads. They won't be as solid as HSDs on track. All about compromise and choice, not 1 is better than the other, just one will be better than the other for a given scenario.

I don't understand why you would think the quality is lacking in the HSDs in comparison to the Meisters as they are essentially the same with a larger valve (I think its a larger valve anyway). HSD are the main supplier of the components from what I have read.The build quality of the HSDs is outstanding IMO, especially when compared to the likes of BC (nowhere near as solid) and the Megan racing coilovers I had.

Your post reeks a little of "whatever I have now is best", without any objective comparisons or basis for your points.

Money no object (within reason) I would be going with nitrons, not HSDs or Meisters as they are all very much budget suspension brands.

You have had HSDs though? When did you have them and on which car?

As far as I am aware the newer Meisters have much softer dampers than the other brands on the market. Making them more suitable for the UK roads. They won't be as solid as HSDs on track. All about compromise and choice, not 1 is better than the other, just one will be better than the other for a given scenario.

I don't understand why you would think the quality is lacking in the HSDs in comparison to the Meisters as they are essentially the same with a larger valve (I think its a larger valve anyway). HSD are the main supplier of the components from what I have read.The build quality of the HSDs is outstanding IMO, especially when compared to the likes of BC (nowhere near as solid) and the Megan racing coilovers I had.

Your post reeks a little of "whatever I have now is best", without any objective comparisons or basis for your points.

Money no object (within reason) I would be going with nitrons, not HSDs or Meisters as they are all very much budget suspension brands.

HSD's were on my old N/A, but it overlapped with the TT6 with Meister's. Don't get me wrong, I think the HSD's are superb quality but I my reasoning for the Meister R's being better quality was not the actual build of them but out of the box they just seemed to be finished better, I can be a bit of a perfectionist from time to time and the HSD's had imperfections in the paint and the twisty cap things for ride stiffness(not sure what there actual name is) had not been finished to well with the arrows and writing looking faded in parts and not printed dead centre.

I am by far not one of those 'what I have is best' people, I always just give an opinion on what I have, which usually means 'what I have is worst' as I make poor mistakes but with the Meisters, they are by far the best coilovers I've had (yet), I've had Spax, HSD's, Tein's and Cusco but I have preferred the Meisters to all of them(esp the Spax, they were a pile of cr@p).

HSD's were on my old N/A, but it overlapped with the TT6 with Meister's. Don't get me wrong, I think the HSD's are superb quality but I my reasoning for the Meister R's being better quality was not the actual build of them but out of the box they just seemed to be finished better, I can be a bit of a perfectionist from time to time and the HSD's had imperfections in the paint and the twisty cap things for ride stiffness(not sure what there actual name is) had not been finished to well with the arrows and writing looking faded in parts and not printed dead centre.

I am by far not one of those 'what I have is best' people, I always just give an opinion on what I have, which usually means 'what I have is worst' as I make poor mistakes but with the Meisters, they are by far the best coilovers I've had (yet), I've had Spax, HSD's, Tein's and Cusco but I have preferred the Meisters to all of them(esp the Spax, they were a pile of cr@p).

Fair enough then. I personally wouldn't reference the asthetics to the actual build quality of a component. Poor build quality is something to steer clear of, faded paint isn't really much of a concern in that regard... especially in a used vs new scenario.

I wouldn't touch spax with a barge pole. Even when I was looking at suspension for my little almera I decided against them lol.

• 9 months later...

I'm digging this topic up a bit as I sit with the exact same question as Noz back then.

My front right shock is worn out so I'm upgrading to some aftermarket setup so, on a budget, I'm considering bc racings, hsd's and meister r's.

The car is uk spec stock, may slide to bpu this summer but not much further.... it's my daily car and track is not my main concern :]

After reading some stuff about noisy BCRacin's I may go for the price-wise in-between Meister R though...

I have bc and the are perfect with the hight adjustment as well as dampening adjust i cant fault them 3 of my mates have them as well on other cars and cant fault them? One of my mates has an evo with tiens on and thinks the ride is better in mine than his and is even thinking of getting a set of BC's instead :)

Edited by N4FY D (see edit history)

Forgot to mention : a friend of mine has BC Racings on his Supe, gotta ask what setting he's on because yes, handling is nowhere near my stock worn out suspensions, BUT when he took me on a ride I just felt like I was sitting on a 600 hp bench haha

edit : he has them on the stiffest setting

Edited by Kaamos (see edit history)