The mkiv Supra Owners Club

come on summer :)

Guest samsalter

Guest samsalter

hia guys i am new here :)

i am 20 at the minute and i will be 21 in june, i am on a traders policy that has me restricted till im 21.

so in the summer i am hoping to get my dream car SUPRA.

i was thinking that i would really get some big power if i had a supra, like 500 bhp, maybe a single turbo and so on.

but should i buy a twin turbo to do this??

or is it just as cheap to start off with basic 3l and move on from there?? :)

i would be able to afford a non turbo as the twin turbos seem to be more rare and expensive. basically one day hoping to have a supra and get as much power as i can from it :)

Hello :)

If you're wanting a turbo Supra, you're much better off starting with one. The Non turbo (NA) is quite expensive to turbocharge properly.

Depending on you budget, a twin turbo (TT) auto is often a great starting point, as good ones start from not much over £5k. Be aware however, that these are not cars that can be run on a shoestring. Parts can be expensive, and your fuel bill certainly will be :)

Don't automatically assume the manual is better than the auto, the auto gearbox in the Supra is fantastic. The manuals command much higher prices in TT models. Single turbo Supras can fantastic, but they can also be a serious drain on the wallet.

Turbo Supras can be a handful for relatively inexperienced drivers, so if you're looking for your first RWD car, you may want to go for something else first (many members on here have previously owned 200SXs or MX-5s, these are excellent cars for learning RWD control)

The search button will provide alot more information than I have given, usually anything you want to know about Supras can be found that way :)

How much experience in RWD cars do you have? More often than not, people your age (or should I say our age - since I'm also turning 21 in June), have no clue about RWD cars.

Mix inexperience with RWD and two turbos and you will have an unpleasant ending to your life (we get plenty of people coming on here, saying "I want Supra! 1000hp! I'm 17!").

I found that the non-turbo was a great introduction to RWD cars.

If your looking for something cheap, then you've come to the wrong place aswell.

Either way... welcome to the club!

Guest samsalter

i have no experience in RWD cars, that is a reason why i wanted to start without a turbo.

but i will fall in love with the first supra i own so prob will keep it for life, meaning if i want it to be a 500+ car then i should buy a TT.

i want to do this properly, i know it will be expensive and hopefully one day i will have a good enough job to cover the costs, as this year i am finishing uni :)

i aint going to chav it up lol i will do it properly over time :)

i dont really want an automatic either, so it looks like i will have to save a lot. :(

I went from a 1.9TDi Golf (which I'm selling, do you want to buy it?;)) to the TT6 Supra and tbh if you know what you're doing and keep your wits about you, you can't really mess it up. I've not lost control of it yet, the back end has come loose on one occasion going round an island but that was my fault and the road was wet and it was the middle of the night. I let off the throttle and it straightened up with no issues.

I'd probably suggest not going for a 550bhp single turbo to start with. Save up and buy a TT6 then either single it yourself or don't get too attached to it and just sell it for a single when you have experience :p

Guest samsalter

thanks guys, i think i will get a TT and wait till i have saved up rather than a NA on a limited budget.

i will stay on the forum and look at stuff and hopefully one day i will know all that i need to know when i get one :)

in the mean time, here is my MK2 MG ZR :)

Even an N/A can bite you. If you have no experience in RWD or turbo cars then an N/A just for the experience would be worthwhile.

If you save up for a big power single and subsequently bin it youl be kicking yourself.

As mentioned earlier too dont fully disregard the auto box - its not like something they drop into a peugeot - its actually a very good system. But if you do test drive an auto make sure you remember it is an auto or you may end up planting the front end into something.

Guest samsalter
If you save up for a big power single and subsequently bin it youl be kicking yourself.

very true!! dont want that :) i know the cars are described as 'bullet proof' so i pressume the auto box is too. but i dont know if i can drive an auto, i drove one the other day and bumped it into a parked car when i tried to park haha.

they were both my mates cars and he just laughed, no damage done :)

very true!! dont want that :) i know the cars are described as 'bullet proof' so i pressume the auto box is too. but i dont know if i can drive an auto, i drove one the other day and bumped it into a parked car when i tried to park haha.

I'm sure you'd get used to it. I went for the 6 speed just because I don't think I'd enjoy myself as much in an auto (however good the 'box is).

I think if you're careful then you won't have any issue driving a TT. I'm only 22 and this is the first RWD car I've driven (other than a 360, Gallardo and DB9 on an experience day) and I find the car very controllable. As long as you have good tyres fitted and aren't giving it hell all the time then it'll stick and go.

Common problem that. An automatic car parked up on a beach here tried to reverse a while back. Unaware that the car was actually set to go forward, it fell off a beach wall and killed a young child. Very unfortunate. But at the end of the day, that comes down to user error.

In all honesty, I think you should start off with an N/A. You can get an N/A as part of your saving towards a TT. That way you can drive a Supra earlier and you will become more experienced in RWD cars. You will be in preparation by the time you save up for the TT (plus the price will be minus what your N/A will be worth). You can't go wrong with that idea.

as said above, get some experice with RWD buy a cheap 180sx or something like that to start with (they are cheaper to fixthan a supe) or just go for an NA and then you can get the basic handle of it all. i went from a 350bhp 200sx and got an NA supra and it was worth it, the NA will teach you how to handle a supra with the respect it needs!

Guest samsalter
Common problem that. An automatic car parked up on a beach here tried to reverse a while back. Unaware that the car was actually set to go forward, it fell off a beach wall and killed a young child. Very unfortunate. But at the end of the day, that comes down to user error.

In all honesty, I think you should start off with an N/A. You can get an N/A as part of your saving towards a TT. That way you can drive a Supra earlier and you will become more experienced in RWD cars. You will be in preparation by the time you save up for the TT (plus the price will be minus what your N/A will be worth). You can't go wrong with that idea.

the first part is so harsh, very unfortunate :(

the second part is a great idea, i will defo think of doing that. :)

it will still be a supra, just a baby one :)

i have no experience in RWD cars, that is a reason why i wanted to start without a turbo.

but i will fall in love with the first supra i own so prob will keep it for life, meaning if i want it to be a 500+ car then i should buy a TT.

i want to do this properly, i know it will be expensive and hopefully one day i will have a good enough job to cover the costs, as this year i am finishing uni :)

i aint going to chav it up lol i will do it properly over time :)

i dont really want an automatic either, so it looks like i will have to save a lot. :(

Josh II anyone :D - have you raced any R8's ;)

Read up as much as you can about the supra before you buy one - it will reduce your chances of picking one up that has been hammered, and will give you tips on what to look for.

There is a well put together safe driving tip thread that I make a point of reading at least every couple of monthshttp://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?131040-Safer-Driving-Tips-**PLEASE-READ**

The forum and knowledge within is more than worth the subscription fee - things like this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?140112-WARNING-15-year-old-brake-line-rotted-through will give you a heads up about problems relating to the cars age.