The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Optimax versus BP ultimate

Faith Adopter

BP Ultimate was designed to give cleaner performance. Its a 97ron fuel designed to run cleaner than other super unleaded fuels. Basically its really no better than Super Unleaded, its just a branding gimmick. Their real market was for BP Ultimate diesel which gives extra power.

Optimax was designed to give better performance, its a 98ron fuel with cleaning additives. To the car performs better with that fuel and has less chance of being damaged. Some have said the cleaning additives may damage the engine but theres no firm evidence of that.

So I would use Optimax if you can find it, if not then Super Unleaded from other suppliers should be okay.

JB

Originally posted by SkyJawa

Optimax is better ;) :p

And further to JB, Optimax is 98.6 ron with a guaranteed minimum rating of 98 ron :D

that totally depends on how long its been stored, the longer its stored the more the octanne rating drops afaik

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

is 99 ron possible with optimax & octane booster ?

Bottled octane boosters raise the octane by up to two points, so if Optimax is 98.6 adding a booster would bring it up to 98.8.

Its cheaper and more effective to put 10% Toluene in your tank, raising it to around 100ron :)

Originally posted by lust2luv

It does according to Millers:

Millers octane claims

Especially if you're decatted and use the CVL stuff.

:looney:

I'd like to know what they put in that tiny bottle to make it as effective as 7 litres of Toluene? Toluene still works out way cheaper if you buy it in bulk.

This thread, along with the corresponding one on the GTR board have lots of info regarding octane boosters.

Originally posted by Nick

Save your money. I bought 10 bottles of Millers and used one at every fill up, didn't notice *any* improvement at all.

Same here when I first got the car. Wouldnt mind trying a couple of bottles of CVL tho! I like the sound of 100+ ron!!!

I know its probably a bit of a stupid question but seeing as Jap imported (grey) TT's were designed to originally run on 100ron fuel, surely by using a lower grade of fuel than this would incur some form of damage/reduced life expectancy to the engine? or would a car, once imported have its timing and ignition settings altered in order to accommodate/cope with our poor grades of fuel here in the UK?