The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Failure !!

Samsar

Evening guys and girls ,

Put my '94 NA Auto through it's yearly today and it bl**dy failed ..

Emission's !!

Yes it's been de-cat'd but wasn't expecting the emissions to be nearly double the allowed limit ..

He couldn't fault the rest of the car even though it looks a bag of crap..

Is it an easy enough fix and what kind of costs am I looking at to source what I'm needing ..

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Did he tell you what it was and what it should be ? Theres a sheet on here somewhere on the mot questions thread I think that shows that an N/A should have a non cat test.

I leave that sheet pinned to the back of the old mot cert with the yes / no route marked in highlighter, and make sure the bloke who takes it for the test after the service has some sort of relationship with the mot tester so he won't get hacked off by someone telling him how he should do an mot, I would have thought that if its a non cat test done and your double the allowed readings theres some other problem

Thats a cat test result, non cat is 3.5 % CO and 1200 ppm HC, you would have passed that easily. I have never had anything about the Lambda or the print out for the emissions on mine.

Cat test says CO = 0.3 %, HC = 200 ppm and Lambda = 0.97 - 1.03, so no wonder it failed, you need to be taking it back and getting them to do that bit again

As Keefred says get them to re-test it under non-cat. Pre '95 import vehicles are not required to have a cat. No need to cange sensors or put cats in it for the test. My fully de-cat'ed '93 TT passes fine, an advisory every time for the noise it makes though :D

The database holds the info for a 2JZ GTE which is an import, so you should have a CAT test, best keep friendly with your tester !!!!!!! When I was testing I could not even fudge my own 93 import TT aero, it came straight up on the computer.

Either way it's an NA so its not listed in the database.. So uses a default setting of CO 3.5% and HC 1200ppm...

I've got many BPU's, and big singles through!

Dude, your machine must be pretty serious then if it tells you what engine is in each car! First test is a BETS test which on our machine only asks for a reg and my name! If it fails that then its the full CAT test which goes into more depth asking for make model and engine code.. Thats where I put in 'not listed'!!

Either way it's an NA so its not listed in the database.. So uses a default setting of CO 3.5% and HC 1200ppm...

Dude, your machine must be pretty serious then if it tells you what engine is in each car! First test is a BETS test which on our machine only asks for a reg and my name! If it fails that then its the full CAT test which goes into more depth asking for make model and engine code.. Thats where I put in 'not listed'!!

correct!! even on the full specific test most tt and single's fail poorly... i like haribo

This was in 2004 dude, but the engine code is on the chassis plate and I thought any car after 93 had to have a CAT test, problem is the last thing you want to do is rub the tester up the wrong way.

Knowing how the ministry work i would not want my testers licence on the line if i was still currently testing. VOSA have been stopping cars on the road and inspecting to see if they have CATS on, if not they get a prohibition there and then, ive seen some natty fake cats recently so it passes this inspection, if it fails the roadside emission test you only get a fix it.

This was in 2004 dude, but the engine code is on the chassis plate and I thought any car after 93 had to have a CAT test, problem is the last thing you want to do is rub the tester up the wrong way.

Knowing how the ministry work i would not want my testers licence on the line if i was still currently testing. VOSA have been stopping cars on the road and inspecting to see if they have CATS on, if not they get a prohibition there and then, ive seen some natty fake cats recently so it passes this inspection, if it fails the roadside emission test you only get a fix it.

I looked into this for my last MOT and I'm sure UK cars post 93 had to be done on a cat test but pre 95 imports don't have to have them fitted regardless whether the engine etc is on the system.

Dam, not heard that one... Weird thing is, in the MOT inspection manual it doesn't actually say that the car has to have a CAT fitted.. It only states that it needs to pass a CAT test! I'm pretty sure of that but will check tomorrow just for my own piece of mind, plus i'm not trying to in any way critisize what your saying big guy!

I looked into this for my last MOT and I'm sure UK cars post 93 had to be done on a cat test but post 95 imports don't have them fitted regardless whether the engine etc is on the system.

I think to clear this once and for all I'll take a copy of the testing guide tomorrow and put up exactly what it states word for word tomorrow on my post and put a link here...

Dam, not heard that one... Weird thing is, in the MOT inspection manual it doesn't actually say that the car has to have a CAT fitted.. It only states that it needs to pass a CAT test! I'm pretty sure of that but will check tomorrow just for my own piece of mind, plus i'm not trying to in any way critisize what your saying big guy!

Ah I think i see the get out, up to a certain year it only needs to pass a CAT test I can't remember the year it needs a cat to be fitted, we didn't want to pass the aero as it was always on the garage forcourt and could have caused probs if VOSA had asked to inspect it. Never thought you were critsizing dude its been a while since I had to test a car.

Ah I think i see the get out, up to a certain year it only needs to pass a CAT test I can't remember the year it needs a cat to be fitted, we didn't want to pass the aero as it was always on the garage forcourt and could have caused probs if VOSA had asked to inspect it. Never thought you were critsizing dude its been a while since I had to test a car.

Cool...

End of the day, at worst if it ws sat on your forecourt, i'd just say it had them when tested then they were removed! We actually have people bring their car for an MOT with the cat in the boot, pay for us to fit them, test it, then take the cat off again! Bloody chavs!