The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Krisso NA-T Polish project

krisso_pl

Hi guys! Im going to finally start my project and go turbo on my NA.

Ive already planned what work will need to be done and already bought some stuff.

First of all, couple of words about the car. Ive bought her and imported from the US almost 2 years ago. It was black on tan 95" Targa NA 5spd.

When she arrived:

IMAGE_197.jpg

IMAGE_155.jpg

IMAGE_157.jpg

First work was done inside the car.

Leds all around,new 98+ dash panels, chrome rings on the gauges, new AC buttons, Pioneer Avic D3 headunit with iPod adapter in glove box, Sinuslive front speakers with HF ones in custom made A-pillar covers, Dynamats allmost everywhere, Thump Amp under the seat, new gold accu terminals, carpet dyed black. Now im going to order new leather seat covers.

audio.jpg

IMAGE_227.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Sorry for crap pictures:

IMG_0174.jpg

Outside:

TT calipers all around, powder coated red, with Supra badges. Sorry, dont have photos at the moment so will post some later.

TT suspenssion all around with TT stabilizer bars and Cusco front strut bar.

Because of that...:

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

...Refurbed headlights with US safety covers on them, 4500 Xenon low beam and yellow halogens.

Facelift black front indicators and side markers.

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Rota GTR wheels (will be painted bronze )

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

Now some stuff waiting in my room...

Holset HX35 Twin Scroll, A/R 83

IMG_0360.jpg

GTR Fmic I think in good condition ( should be ok for the begining and my power range):

mod6.jpg

mod14.jpg

Stri EGT and Oil press 60mm gauges:

mod7.jpg

mod3.jpg

HKS SSQV:

mod4.jpg

JDM modifications inlet manifold :

mod13.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

OEM Denso 550 injectors:

mod10.jpg

TT Headgasket:

mod9.jpg

XS Power wastegate:

mod12.jpg

Greddy oil catch can:

mod11.jpg

Bosh 040 internal fuel pump:

mod.jpg

Also new timing belt and oil filter:)

mod2.jpg

Im still looking for Q45 Throttle, waiting for stubby aerial and also need to buy new sparks.

Im taking the car to my mechanic at the end of the month. All pipings as well as the exhaust manifold will be custom made. Electronics - Ecu Master DETIII piggyback or Ecu Master Standalone (manufacturer is testing it right now so we will see)

Tranny is W58 and it will stay for now. Dont know how well will the clutch handle but I dont think about it for now.

Couple questions - what spark plugs do you suggest? Do I need fuel pressure regulator?

Help me with your advice and wisdom mates hehe and please remember this is gonna be a low budget project :)

Edited by krisso_pl
Move to project cars section (see edit history)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive looked into going NA-T myself. different people use different set ups. i know the whifbitz setup uses AEM but i think Greddy Emanage Ultimate is a cheaper option (from what ive seen or unless you get 2nd hand unit). its not on ebay.uk at the moment but ive seen emanage ultimate going for 350GBP with harness (listed as new).

why are you upgrading the fuel pump? the injectors wont run much higher than 330cc, most starter set ups run the standard fuel pump and dont have any problems, over 350bhp your need injectors, on which case you have a variety of sources. but def do your research, cheap injectors arent worth the hassle. 550cc is the best start upgrade unless you want 500bhp. 2jzge injectors are TOP FEED u cant use 2jzgte ones. they are listed as high resistance, 12.5ohms should be fine. you can get rx7 turbo II injectors, they are 550cc high impedance and drop right in. if you do upgrade injectors, u can use a stock TT denso pump instead.

the intercooler from the GTR shud be a treat but you can get some amazingly cheap intercool kits for the 2jzge if you look hard enough.

why do you want to swap the head? what is the reason for making extra work for yourself? if its a project then fair enough but for power gains you'd be better spending money on boost. you cant just put a gte head on a ge. theres a things you need to do, check this thread on SF: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?225971-NA-to-TT-Conversion-TT-head-swap-info

what are your power aims? its best to try and use power targets or finance options to make your build around.

its common to see 2jzge-t running 300bhp to 350bhp with a standard headgaskett. i spoke to a tuning garage and they said its best to go with one anyway. 1.3mm on the 2jzge will lower compression down to 9.2:1 allowing 350bhp+.

most medium sized turbo's should run without hitting the distributor but the main reason for using coils when going na-t is because it sometimes gets in the way, this isnt the only reason people swap to coils but a main reason its so often talked about when putting a turbo on these sexy engines.

im not 100% sure on the wastegate, you could get a bigger wastegate, cheap XS kits use 46mm and the Whifbitz kit uses 45mm, where did u get 38mm from?

you can spend THOUSANDS on an intake manifold. i had a quick look and find some "amazing" but very expensive set ups. you can hit high power figures with the highly effective inlet your using. again, need to ask why you'd want to do this.

people on NA-T forums reckon most power running through a w58 gearbox is 450hp and if your using a stock clutch or even auto then it wouldnt be a good idea doing drag starts constantly.

you also need piping from wastegate into the manifold, but if your doing all that custom then im sure your tuner can sort it. you dont want to be venting, screamer pipes are evil :D

ive tried to use information ive read on NA-T's im not saying its 100% just trying to be helpful. :-)

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

I'd forget the GTE head, loads of forced induction motors run fine on distributors. If you're wanting to do this low budget, keep the power figure realistic (450hp?) use a cast iron manifold and stick with a completely stock NA engine, with an EMU going the fuelly bits :) IIRC injectors from a 7M are a direct fit.

Keeping the NA engine completely stock makes replacement extremely cheap if it does go (in comparison to a 2jz-gte)

I'd also want to be keeping a close eye on my AFRs and EGTs :)

Thats some really great answers! Thank you guys very much!

So, Ive talked to mu tuner and he told me to definitely stick with this GE head like all of you so no discussion about it any more:)

I think we will be hiting 400HP level and the guy told me to better change fuel pump, besides, you know how it works in this kind of projects - in a meantime I can decide to hit some higher level and then I will have fuel pump ready on board.

About the injectors - so you say to look for RX7 or 7mgte ones, right?

headgasket - 400hp level - will 1,3mm be ok? Cometic?

distributor - ok, so let it stay for a while but can I change it later if I need to? What coils do I need?

intake manifold - I was asking about it because I heard that, this Y looking thing on GE is not a good way and it is better to look for something else, but I dont know much about that and am ready to take all of your advices.

wastegate - 38mm Tials are on ebay very often. Because of the twin scroll setup friends told me to run two smaller to better control the boost at all RPM range.

gauges - I think It will work with "Stack" gauges or "Stri" - boost, EGT and Oil pressure

Electronics- I was thinking about Apexi PowerFc... ?

w41k3r - what union bolt?

Did I forget about anything?

Edited by krisso_pl (see edit history)

you switch out your oil filter housing bolt for the union bolt from a lexus me thinks is300 as its tapped and take the oil feed from there or thats what most people seem to do :) might be simpler just to do a very basic set up less things can go wrong then

Ok, youre right mate. Guess Ill start shopping:) First of all I need to check somehow the proper part numer of the HX35 with external wastegate and twin scroll.

7mgte top feed injectors will fit plug and play?

ok...I have a problem :) I want to buy hx35 twin scroll with external wastegate... and dont know what part number to look for :/ anubody with some help?

to be fair dude the common question is why the HX35 turbo? other ones are tried and tested and might be a safer route if your not 100% with ur setup.

and did you say your doing this on a budget? 7mgte injectors are TOP FEED and should go straight in. rx7 require modification to the clips so best to stay with toyota parts. im pretty sure you need the wastegate to be diameter fitment rather than getting a turbo specific. you use the size rather than the turbo your pairing it with from what ive been told,.

Guest Andy Bird

what about the oil feeds and return. feed from the sandwich plate and return to the sump? presume this needs fabricating by someone?

can this conversion be done in the car as well as the head gasket or is it a engine out job? got a crane and loads of tools but saving hassle if i could

HX35 is very good, strong, reliable and good spooling turbo.

Some lecture: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/314629-holset-turbos-part-5-a.html

I need HX35 twin scroll with external wastegate, 7 blade.

also search GTR boards for some info, there is plenty of threads about that turbo.

Edited by krisso_pl
also search GTR boards for some info, there is plenty of threads about that turbo. (see edit history)

Im going 550 or 600's. 550 are from RX7 but not sure. Someone told me they arent plug and play...?

Also I have choose a turbo - Holset HX35 twin scroll, external wastegate, A/R 83. Should boost fast and spool strong to the end of the rpm.

Also bought a fuel pump - Bosh 040.

Now looking for two wastegates 38mm BOV.

About intake manifold - not sure which way to go coz im not sure it the manifold will clear over the turbo. We'll see...

If not - is it possible to fit TT intake manifold to NA head? Maybe cutting of and swaping the flange...?