The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Walbro & FSE Dyno results from today

Justin

Went to Thor to have me FSE and Walbro 342 fitted which all went fine of course.

Put her on the Dyno but had the same torque and less power than my previous dyno without the above fitted!!!!!!!:eek: Fuelling was good though :thumbs:

But even worse they found a point where the ignition was p*ssing about and she was experiencing some det!

After a bit of an um and argh about me shelling out £x just to find out if it is or isn't the plugs we decided to change from my NGK Laser Platinums to Denso Iridiums.

Put her on the Dyno again and hey presto. More power, more torque and no det :flame Dev

Have to say. I'm very annoyed/surprised at the prices I paid for my original plugs that were causing the det after they were specified to me for going BPU! Won't mention any names here.

Anyway thanks to the THOR boys for sorting it all out and thanks to Paul E for supplying the parts at very low cost .:thumbs:

THOR Figures compared to October last year without Pump and FSE and with warmer ambient temps:

Without Walbro & FSE - Torque 329.7 ft/lb @ 5055rpm

With Walbro & FSE - Torque 346.2 ft/lb @ 4603rpm

Without Walbro & FSE - AFR 12.05 @ 5970rpm

With Walbro & FSE - AFR 11.01 @ 5970rpm

Without Walbro & FSE - RHHP 357.3 @ 6240rpm

With Walbro & FSE - RHHP 364.5 @ 5680rpm

Power comes on quicker with more torque as you can see. AFR is much safer and ready for my Hybrids. Couldn't test it on the road yet as it p*ssed down on the way home. Hopefully it'll shave some time off my 1/4rs. We'll see.

Oh yeah and saw Leons beast whilst I was there roaring away on the Dyno and met Manic from this Forum getting his fog lights done, ello mate :)

Nice one Justin

Glad you got the det sorted m8 - I had the same problems with the platinums - you do need Iridiumd - how cold are the new ones?

If you can wack up the dyno plots please m8

So an extra 16.5 lbs with them on at 400 less rpms

Look like they (pump and FSE that is) work then?

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Jake

. . . and still the search goes on for someone to re-dyno their car after fitting an uprated pump but no FSE

Well, this might be answered somewhat at Billing, as I have a Walbro but no FSE and was planning on doing a dyno run at Billing. I never did one before fitting the pump though so nothing to compare with. I wanted to see what the fueling was like before deciding what to do with regards to FSEs, pressure regs, injectors etc.

Originally posted by Justin

Why don't you whack a Walbro on and get it Dynoed at Billing. Then go up to Thor in a few months with an FSE to fit and Dyno. I think personally the Pump and FSE go hand in hand nicely as a mod.

I have already got a Walbro fitted and I am going to Billing. I'm not planning on buying an FSE though, at least not until there's some evidence that they actually help at all.

AFAICT nobody actually knows whether the FSE really does any good or whether the improvement in their fuelling is solely down to the uprated fuel pump.

What makes you say they go hand in hand?

I have already got a Walbro fitted and I am going to Billing. I'm not planning on buying an FSE though, at least not until there's some evidence that they actually help at all.

AFAICT nobody actually knows whether the FSE really does any good or whether the improvement in their fuelling is solely down to the uprated fuel pump.

What makes you say they go hand in hand?

Your'e having a wind up then you naughty boy?!

How many dyno runs do you need with these in - you now have two - Pete Betts own car and Justins - both giving you an increase of 16/18 lbs of torque at 400 revs less than stock

So dont buy one whatever you do!:)

Originally posted by Paul E

Your'e having a wind up then you naughty boy?!

How many dyno runs do you need with these in - you now have two - Pete Betts own car and Justins - both giving you an increase of 16/18 lbs of torque at 400 revs less than stock

So dont buy one whatever you do!:)

Maybe I've missed all these dyno charts that show the difference between the same Supra with stock fuel pump, with Walbo pump, and finally with Walbro pump and a FSE.

So where are they, mate?

Maybe I've missed all these dyno charts that show the difference between the same Supra with stock fuel pump, with Walbo pump, and finally with Walbro pump and a FSE.

So where are they, mate?

You are very aware that there isn't one with a Stock v Walbro - but I really dont think it's that big an issue

We know the pump is better and flows more - which can only be good - any more than that is being pedantic yes...?

As regards the dyno results for Pete's - here it is again

supra_fsepump.gif

Yes, but the issue isn't that there is no stock vs. Walbro comparison, it's that there is no Walbro with stock regulator vs. Walbro with FSE comparison. In other words, no comparison that is looking at the FSEs effect in isolation. Don't get me wrong - I may well buy one, I want to see what my fueling situation is first anyway, but the point is that you can't put up graphs that show several components being upgraded and then point to one of those upgraded components and say that it's the cause of the improvements IMHO.

Thanks Simon, my point exactly (put rather better than I could manage though)

Originally posted by Paul E

We know the pump is better and flows more - which can only be good - any more than that is being pedantic yes...?

OK the Walbro is an improvement over the stock pump, no arguement there. My point is : Where is the evidence that a Walbro *and* FSE perform any better than a Walbro on its own?

As regards the dyno results for Pete's - here it is again
What do these graphs show, Pump and FSE together, right? Do you see what I'm saying?

You want the pump dyno on its own - fine - in a perfect world it would be ideal - but there isn't one!

There is loads of testing done on mkiv (?) comparing these pumps - we just dont have any done in the UK

However....

The figures here show the teaming of the FSE and Walbro Pump - this 'teaming' is the real positive

In both the dynos above this has proven capability and fuelling

What more do you want?

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Its about plumbing isnt it? The pump increases the flow and the FSE regulates/ increases the pressure or am I wrong?

The pump helps give a better AFR (from 12 down to 11)

The FSE brings on the torque into a more useable (early) rev range. (from 5075 rpm down to 4603 rpm) on my dyno results.

So I could be drag racing someone and when I hit 4603 rpm before I would have 298 ft/lb of torque at my disposal and now, at the same rev range, I will have 346.2 ft/lb or torque to beat him with. Even at 5075 rpm I still have more torque than the stock setup.

I also agree about the common sense part but if you think about the cost of the FSE and the cost of the extra Dyno run needed to see what it does to your charts is it worth it?

There's only one way to settle the discussion and that is for someone to pay for that extra dyno between new pump and FSE installations :D

Common sense also says would somene bother designing, manufacturing then selling an FSE to people like THOR and Miami GT if it did sod all?

There's only one way to settle the discussion and that is for someone to pay for that extra dyno between new pump and FSE installations :D

As I said, you might well get this as I am planning on dyno ing mine at Billing (I have a Walbro but no FSE as I could fit the pump myself but haven't got a FP gauge to set an adjustable reg up). I also wanted to see what state my fueling was in before planning what upgrades to do - e.g. I might go for an adjustable reg and Emanage, or bigger injectors & Emanage, or none of the above!

If I do decide on an FSE then I'll get it dynoed again.

if you think about the cost of the FSE and the cost of the extra Dyno run needed to see what it does to your charts is it worth it?

Probably not for one person, but if somebody did get it done and released the results it would enable others to make an *informed* decision as to whether a FSE was a worthwhile investment.

It would be more in the interest of the guys selling FSEs to conduct this test than it would for any private individual. Well, it would be in their interests if the results were in the FSE's favour.

There's only one way to settle the discussion and that is for someone to pay for that extra dyno between new pump and FSE installations
Yes, that's what I've been saying.
Common sense also says would somene bother designing, manufacturing then selling an FSE to people like THOR and Miami GT if it did sod all?
frankly, Yes. There's lots of placebo products about, take 'performance' replacement air filter panels for example.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm am not saying that an FSE isn't a good thing. I am saying that so far there is no credible evidence to support the claims made about them.

Jake

There are separate two dyno runs with a Walbro Pump and an FSE fitted that show great results achieved

The FSE has been proven to work

Read

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22809&perpage=20&highlight=FSE&pagenumber=2

and

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18255&highlight=FSE

This really has been done to death before guys

I don't think it has been 'done to death'

The question is .... does the FSE give any significant gains on a car that already has an uprated pump?

Or ..... does the walbro on its own , keep EGTs and ARs at an acceptable level?

I've used an FSE on a previous car ..... and it did jack!

I may get my Walbro equipped car dyno'd at JAE ..... if some one wants to bring an FSE ,to see if it does give any gains.......

I will happily donate my car as guinea pig ..... I'll even buy the FSE if its proven to work!!!

I've got an idea that will end this once and for all.

Why don't one of you trader types, the next time someone pipes up and asks to buy a warlbro and FSE/aeromotive turn around and say "look if you pay for us to fit it, we'll dyno your car at all three stages, stock, with pump, and with pump and fse"

That way it'll put it all to bed once and for all, and plus joe public will be pleased to see you guys doing your bit for the community, and are more likely to buy from you in the future.

What do you recon? Has it got legs??

Regards

Tony