The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti-Lag or Two-Stepping

SilentAgro

Not quite the same thing.

Antilag is where the timing is set so that the spark occurs while the exhaust valve is open. This spins the turbo (and destroys it)

On very old laggy turbos with huge, heavy steel internals this was ok, but reduced life. On modern turbos its not needed and is very bad for the turbo.

2 step is a secondary rev limit. Not so bad for the turbos, depending how its done (Bee R = bad, aftermarket ECU = good)

Why specifically do you think you need it? This may help to guide you.

No no, I don't need it at all. I was just curious about it as the only modified car I have been in was an 87 cosworth which had anti-lag. Anti-lag is impressive to someone who doesn't know much about it (yes, i was impressed)

I gave seen some videos with supra's having both. I figured it caused a hell of a lot of damage though.

When i win the lottery I will have a supra with Anti-lag.

Is anti lag not where the spark is killed completely allowing an unburned fuel mix to hit the glowing hot exhaust manifold causing the bang to keep the tubby going?

I hadn't heard of the spark actually being mis-timed, sound VERY dangerous for the engine as well as the turbo.

Is anti lag not where the spark is killed completely allowing an unburned fuel mix to hit the glowing hot exhaust manifold causing the bang to keep the tubby going?

I hadn't heard of the spark actually being mis-timed, sound VERY dangerous for the engine as well as the turbo.

Could well be, no spark and a mis timed injection.

Anti-lag and 2Step/Launch control work in the same way ;)

Difference being anti-lag is for on the move and 2Step/Launch control is for building boost on the line.

Both can use ignition cut and/or ignition retard, I played a lot with launch control on the AEM v1 units and using just retard instead of cut I could easily build over 1bar boost to launch without any bangs and pops, the ignition cut caused lots of bangs and flames :D

I always knew what anti lag was for and thought i'd love to have that! now i have a supra with anti lag and launch control and here's what i learned. It sounds amazing but the one time i used it i sh*t my pants every bang ( and there are lots) i think oh no its broken!!!! it launched harder than i knew a big car could and went like stink through the gears with a huge bang in every gear but i'm always thinkin i'm hurting it!! of course i am in all fairness but love the car to much and i'm the type that if theres a squeek from somewhere i stop and panic thinkin the worst! I'm always concerned about fuel leaks to as the screamer pipe exits by the offside wheel and my car always stinks of fuel!! the swirl pots are inside the car and the fuel isn't leaking outside but when you have it sat for a while and open the door you always pray there's no spark or Boom!

The turbo i have is the GT4088r for information not the kind that will take anti lag for long i think!