The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reconditioned Engines??

Holden1989

Hi Guys,

My friend is after a MR2 engine and has come accross these guys....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDEAL-ENGINES-TOYOTA-MR2-3SGTE-TURBO-RECON-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ220736502399QQcategoryZ10428QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7103556026080974359

Has anyone used them or know of this company?

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Kayla

There was a thread about this company a few weeks back, a member had purchased a 2JZ-GTE engine which he hadn't receive.

£695 for a 3S-GTE engine that has been stripped down and reconditioned with brand new parts, it almost sounds too good to be true..... it is. If you just price up the new parts and the labour involved in reconditioning the engine it would come to a LOT more than £695.

There was a thread about this company a few weeks back, a member had purchased a 2JZ-GTE engine which he hadn't receive.

£695 for a 3S-GTE engine that has been stripped down and reconditioned with brand new parts, it almost sounds too good to be true..... it is. If you just price up the new parts and the labour involved in reconditioning the engine it would come to a LOT more than £695.

Reconditioned by rattle can !!!!!!!!!! These companies just get engines and spray em up, stick a new filter and a couple of gaskets on and sell em as re con, MOST jap engines will be OK because as we know they are so reliable, if you get a bad one they just give you another etc, thats great but you get stuck with the labour bill for fitting and removing, a mate of mine had 3 from a company like this all f*****d.

I have also had a customer who despite my "If it sounds too good to be true it is" advice sent them some money and it took 2 months to receive a dud. He didn't even bring it here, it was so bad.

I have a Gen 1 MR2 turbo engine here that needs a valve in it. It would be a similar price to the one in advert with the valve changed and all others reseated.

Also some scams where you get a super low quote , then they try to get you to have the engine fitted by them ,offering 5 year warranty if they fit or discounted fitting or free mars bars for life etc - then once they have your car they up the quote ,maybe double or add thousands , under it needed X,Y,Z PARTS , or the head was gone ,or .....

then they charge 10 pounds a day for parking,threaten to scrap your car if you do not pay up instantly ....and to cap it all the recon is Sh1t

Ebay is now a gathering place for every pikey,hookey,scumbag,con artist known to man and growing by the day ,an option of last resort ..second thoughts , no not an option at all

Hmmm, he doesnt like the sound of waiting on a engine for 2 months. I was suspicious of the company anyway, the pistons are just 'reconditioned' - hmmm

He is after a MR2 low mileage turbo engine if anyone knows of someone that supplies them, and fitting of course

John I have already pointed him in the direction of AFR but I dont know if you would deal with this? He has already got a quote from ToyotaGT

Thanks for the info Jagman

Hmmm, he doesnt like the sound of waiting on a engine for 2 months. I was suspicious of the company anyway, the pistons are just 'reconditioned' - hmmm

He is after a MR2 low mileage turbo engine if anyone knows of someone that supplies them, and fitting of course

John I have already pointed him in the direction of AFR but I dont know if you would deal with this? He has already got a quote from ToyotaGT

Thanks for the info Jagman

I would imagine Toyota GT will have an exchange engine already built as they deal with a lot of MR2's. How do you recon a piston???? Oh I know hot tank it and put it back in. There is nothing wrong with taking an engine apart and only replacing the worn parts but these companies are buying engines by the container from Japan etc and just spraying them. there used to be a big market for yank V8's, the only garuntee was they were rebuildable so you at least knew where you stood, I bought loads some were perfect others were unusable and were swapped straight over.