The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlamp problem

L18msy

I have tried a search but didn't bring up any answers so im gonna pick your brains.

Both my dipped beam have stopped working all of a sudden and was wondering if any of you lot have had the same bother? I didn't have much time to try and find a fault today only got a quick look in the fusebox under the bonnet. Both fuses were fine, are there any relays or other fuses i need to check. The sidelamps, full beam and fogs are working just the main beam throwing the towel in.

I have HIDs fitted and thought it might be the ballasts away but find it strange that both have went at the same time.

Thanks in advance. There is a pint in it at pod for you.

HID lights need a certain voltage to work, ie. if they are not getting that voltage the ballasts won't light the bulbs, it could be a battery problem or bad earth. Try connecting the ballasts/bulbs directly to the battery and see if the work okay.

It looks like there are two points where a single failure could take out both headlights: The headlight relay and the common ground (G100 at the bottom right).

attachment.php?attachmentid=127008&stc=1&d=1297723708

If you've got a voltmeter, check on each of the terminals of the headlight connectors with the headlights turned on to see if you're getting 12V compared with the chassis. If one of them is 12V it points to a bad ground; if you don't get 12V it points to the headlight relay in the main fusebox.

I doubt it's the 50A main fuse as you don't mention any other failures.

headlights.png

Edited by Andy Blyth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
I feared that might be the case. Which HID kit did you get?

I got a slimline 8000k kit from a seller on ebay can't remember the make. Was only £50, there are cheaper ones but just don't trust them.

Stop hooking your piercings up to the battery terminals while they are still on the car and you won't have this issue. It may be fun but it isn't big nor is it clever.

:p

How is the single project getting on?

How is the single project getting on?

Still married bud :D

Won't actually be starting it until the winter. Going to enjoy my car for a little while, it has spent FAR too much time in the garage. Hoping to get a car seat in soon so that I can use it during the week :)

It ended up my hid kit blew up, i think water managed to get into one of the ballasts. I got power up to the plug on the original harness but nothing after that. So new hid kit fitted and everything is good again.

I spent a bit more time on mine with the multimeter, concentrating on voltage (not just continuity) and found the problem: with a HID wiring harness in place there's nothing between the battery and the ballast units other than the 'new' relay (switched when you turn your lights on); when the meter told me that the voltage at the ballast was just 6V (reading the specs, most need at least 8v to kick), I realised then the rest was across the relay (and the resistance must be about the same as the non-working ballast to half the voltage). The relay looked OK but as soon as I disconnected the socket, I could see pin 30 was completely black/burnt.

Now I'm sure these wiring harnesses are the best way to add HID but for their all-in cost (~£4), they're probably not using the best quality components. The replacement relay (admittedly from from Halfrauds - only place open after work) cost more than a fiver ...

Here's hoping I never have to get that bottom nut on/off the rhs light - without fear of dropping the thing - ever again!

• 3 weeks later...

hey peeps. im running HIDs as well and my main beam and dipped beam has failed. when removing the HID hardness im reading no voltage what so ever from the original light plugs. first thing i changed the bulb and when i checked the voltage nothing was coming out, zero. checked all fuses. i have noticed a clicking when i switch the lights on tho, which means the relay is working but maybe the contacts are gone. have only noticed it due to turning lights on with bonnet up and being able to hear it. havent had a chance to buy a new one yet just thought id see what u lot thought? :-)