The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Alarm Should I Go For!?

Westy

Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade the security on my car and was looking for some suggestions on what alarm I should get fitted!?:confused:

Ideally would like it to have a couple of additional features such as proximity and tilt sensors...but I am open to any feedback/suggestions that you guys could provide.:)

Cheers,

Mark

Clifford Concept 650, with proximity sensors and autoclosure.

Just make sure you have it professionally fitted by someone who knows what they're doing and also have a good reputation.

This was the model i had fitted, Wasn't cheap but gave you piece of mind. Make sure you get a certificate that it has been fitted for insurance purposes.

Does anybody really pay any attention to car alarms now when they go off? The good theives know how to get around most within a few weeks of them going on the market. Why not fit a Tracker system? At least the police will be informed as soon as the car is moved with no keys in the ignition.

Just my thoughts.

Ian

Bare in mind an alarm is for peace of mind, not to actually stop people from stealing your car. If they want it, and they are competent, I can assure you they will have it.

My car hasn't been stolen and I have a 650 Mk1. It also hasn't been broken into or had any attempts to take it. The difference comes when someone tries to steal your car and actually can't acomplish it because of the alarm.

Bare in mind an alarm is for peace of mind, not to actually stop people from stealing your car. If they want it, and they are competent, I can assure you they will have it.

My car hasn't been stolen and I have a 650 Mk1. It also hasn't been broken into or had any attempts to take it. The difference comes when someone tries to steal your car and actually can't acomplish it because of the alarm.

thats very true if they want it they will have away.

its a very good idea to fit a tracker at least then there is a chance of getting it back maybe.

Thanks for the responses guys...the Clifford Concept 650 seems to the most voted for.

I appreciate that the alarm wont stop someone from stealing it but hope that the proximity sensors, tilt sensors etc could deter them a little.

I have looked into this and have been told that Cliffords are a bit of a pain and have been offered the Cat 1 Cobra 4138, but it doesnt seem to compare features wise. Can anyone shed light on any problems with the Clifford or is this just down to the fitting!?

I have looked into this and have been told that Cliffords are a bit of a pain and have been offered the Cat 1 Cobra 4138, but it doesnt seem to compare features wise. Can anyone shed light on any problems with the Clifford or is this just down to the fitting!?

Who told you they are a pain?

Most issues are down to clueless fitters.

Im getting this one fitted next month... :)

http://www.falcon-security.com/products/car_alarms/

Predator GSM Alarm with 2 Way Comms & GSM Tracking

[Product Code: VMOD95A ]

In the event of an alarm activation the alarm will call up to two numbers. From any phone you can also immobilise the engine, listen in and talk into the car. Forget to turn alarm on? No Problem, just call your alarm from any phone to turn it on.

All the features are operated using your mobile or regular telephone, simply give your alarm a call and follow the voice prompts, two standard remote controls are also included for arming and disarming the system.

Using a service such as http://www.followus.co.uk it is also possible to position your car to within 10-300 m (dependent on local GSM network).

The alarm also includes a wireless telephone keypad so you can use the gsm car alarm like a hands free phone using the microphone and speaker.

Unlike other systems on the market this alarm is self contained and does not require you to plug in a mobile phone.

•Modular alarm system for the best in security & reliability

•Includes Loud 118dB siren

•Include two 4 button remote controls

•Control and check the status of the alarm from any phone anywhere in the world

•Voice prompts for ease of use

•Arm/disarm alarm from the keyring remote control or any phone

•Activate alarm & immobiliser from any phone

•Immobilise the car from any phone

•Autodials up to 2 numbers on alarm activation

•Allows you to dial in and listen to or talk to people inside the car

•In car panic switch sends out help signal quietly

•Can also be used as handsfree car phone using included wireless keypad

•Location precision 10-300 m (dependent on local GSM network)

•Self contained unit does not require a seperate mobile phone to plugged in

•SIM Card not included - any contract or pay as you go SIM will work

•Includes shock sensor, other detectors available

•Mute mode

•Panic feature from remote control

•Universal Central Locking Control

•Total Closure Facility (dependent)

•Boot release output

•Engine immobiliser

•Last Door Arming/Passive Arming sets the alarm automatically

•Flashing Hazard Lights on arm/disarm/activation

•Temporary shock sensor bypass from remote control

•Remote anti-hijcak

•Auto re-arm prevents accidental disarming

•Ignition lock/unlock automatically locks doors on first press of break

•Smart chirps intrusion indication

•Smart dashboard status LED

•Arm condition memory

•Car Finder feature

•Over-ride facility

•Bonnet protection where switch fitted

•Door protection where switches fitted

•Boot protection where switches fitted

•Supports 2 remote controls max.

SIM Card not included. Please note: GSM Tracking is not currently available in the Republic of Ireland.

Im getting this one fitted next month... :)

http://www.falcon-security.com/products/car_alarms/

I put this in my last car & tbh i will never touch one again. Maybe i got a bad one but everynight (worse in the frost) the alarm would go off, i was even able to unlock the car with the key, start the car (the alarm would be sounding) & drive the car away. I can't remember now but i know there was more things but as already said maybe mine was a bad one. If you go ahead with it though just make sure you check it all works how it should before you drive away.

I put this in my last car & tbh i will never touch one again. Maybe i got a bad one but everynight (worse in the frost) the alarm would go off, i was even able to unlock the car with the key, start the car (the alarm would be sounding) & drive the car away. I can't remember now but i know there was more things but as already said maybe mine was a bad one. If you go ahead with it though just make sure you check it all works how it should before you drive away.

Really?

WOW....

Well.. IF that happens i will be going back to the dealer thats fitting it for me..

an alarm/immob/tracker combo is sadly what is needed these days and this alarm comes with the lot and is thatcham approved.. So its this or something similar ppl need on a Supra IMO :)

Really?

WOW....

Well.. IF that happens i will be going back to the dealer thats fitting it for me..

an alarm/immob/tracker combo is sadly what is needed these days and this alarm comes with the lot and is thatcham approved.. So its this or something similar ppl need on a Supra IMO :)

Unfortunately i found out the hard way. It was also installed by a falcon approved fitter.

I have a toad at the minute & although it doesn't have as much features as the falcon it has never played up or let me down.