The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra Mod Plan

Samurai 20V

Hi Guys..

I am on 2 weeks holiday in SA so I have been searching this forum for some direction on my future Supra Mods..

My plan is BPU, plus water meth when I return to SA finally from Japan and possibly cams and adjustable cam gears..

Below are the details of my proposed mods, I need some conformation from you guys to confirm I am on the right track…

Intake – My car has Apexi Cone already so will keep this..

Exhaust – My car has Kakimoto 80mm already.

Downpipe – Cant seem to find 2.5inch double decat in Japan so going to fit 2.5 inch Garage Whifbitz plus 2inch restrictor.. Hoping this will keep the boost below 1 bar.

Oil Cooler kit – HKS 16 row plus relocation kit - read some bad reviews on the Greddy

BOV – HKS Super sequential 3.

Spark plugs – TRD, gapped 0.8mm

Gauges – Defi Boost gauge/oil temp/oil pressure/AEM AFR/Fuel pressure possibly

EBC – Greddy or Blitz – need to decide

HKS SLD

Greddy BCC.

AEM Water meth – Will fit and setup in SA, using the poor SA fuel and AFR gauge…

Clutch – TRD single plate, will change engine and gearbox mounts to TRD when installing

Suspension – Car is lowered need to check what springs, shocks are OEM.

Wheels – 18 or 19 inch, need to measure my car to check what will fit, since the car is lowered. I was thinking 10J RR and 9J FR, need to confirm.

Brakes – I have UK spec brakes, so will fit TRD discs and TRD red spec pads.. Upgraded brake hoses at some stage as well.

Strut Brace – Cusco FR and RR.

Front lip – Greddy or MVP Urethane, need to decide..

Cams and Cam Gears – Might consider as cheap in Japan, will research..

The items I am not clear about are the following, some help please!

LSD Diff –

Question – Do I need a TRD LSD? I am going to use the car occasionally on the drag strip (Semi slicks and SA heat) and tracks, would the OEM LSD not be sufficient?

Fuel Pump –

Question 1 – Is the UK Denso a straight fit to the J Spec? Could not get a clear answer from the search? I can order the UK spec in Japan so would prefer that to the Walbro.

Question 2 – Do I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? The SARD is quite cheap in Japan. Is there any recommended brand?

Question 3 – Do I need to do the fuel pulsation damper bypass? Is it advisable at BPU?

FMIC – Greddy Spec LS

Question – Why does the power steering fluid have to be drained? The Greddy manual wasn’t too clear..

This is my plan, will get around to doing it in the next year, as the cash comes along…lol..

If there is anything I have left out please advise, thanks in advance for the help.

The TRD LSD is a lot better than the standard diff, well worth fitting if you can afford it.

The UK spec pump fitting is the opposite way around to the J-spec, they can be bodged to fit the J-spec fuel pump hanger.

Don't need adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

No need to do fuel pulsation bypass.

The PAS cooler needs moving when fitting the FMIC.

I'd chose the Carbing front and rear braces over the Cusco ones.

I wouldn't bother with the TRD discs, they are just stock discs that are slotted and are a lot more expensive.

The TRD LSD is a lot better than the standard diff, well worth fitting if you can afford it.

The UK spec pump fitting is the opposite way around to the J-spec, they can be bodged to fit the J-spec fuel pump hanger.

Don't need adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

No need to do fuel pulsation bypass.

The PAS cooler needs moving when fitting the FMIC.

I'd chose the Carbing front and rear braces over the Cusco ones.

I wouldn't bother with the TRD discs, they are just stock discs that are slotted and are a lot more expensive.

Thanks for the reply Nic..

I am getting the TRD LSD at a good price, so I think I will go for it..

If I buy the UK spec hanger and pump, will that be a straight fit into the Jspec tank?

Were does the PAS cooler go to after fitting FMIC?

I will research the Carbing Braces in Japan..

Getting the TRD discs at 13000yen each, so will throw them on anyway..

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks for the reply Nic..

I am getting the TRD LSD at a good price, so I think I will go for it..

Also fit new OEM Toyota carrier bearings and seals, you'll also need the TRD LSD Oil.

If I buy the UK spec hanger and pump, will that be a straight fit into the Jspec tank?

Not sure, I'm not as familiar with the UK spec, someone here should know though.

Were does the PAS cooler go to after fitting FMIC?

FMIC Installation Instructions

I will research the Carbing Braces in Japan..

The front and rear Carbing braces are welded aluminium, they are more rigid compared to bolted type braces such as the Cusco. The front Carbing brace includes a built in stopper for the brake master cylinder, this really helps firm up the pedal feel, the rear brace has 4 fixing points for added rigidity.

I'd also recommend the TRD front brace which is also welded construction, they are made from steal so are a lot heavier than the Carbing, but are very rigid.

Carbing Front Brace

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=6241&d=1173641136 vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=6240&d=1173641121 http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2775/attachment1phpdh1.jpg

Carbing Rear Brace

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9499/p3150092tz6.jpg http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1822/p3310126fu8.jpg http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1295/p3310127nj1.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)