The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have Supra prices fallen?

Guest suprageoff

Guest suprageoff

Hi all - haven't been on for ages.

Question: Have Supra prices fallen?

Looking at Autotrader seems that the TT is now going for about 7K, well a year ago they were 10-11K. So have the prices fallen.

Geoff.

Guest suprageoff

Yeah - I've had another look at Autotrader and the typical TT is around £8-9K. It's only the N/A going for 6-7K.

Geoff.

Originally posted by suprageoff

Yeah - I've had another look at Autotrader and the typical TT is around £8-9K. It's only the N/A going for 6-7K.

Geoff.

That's fairly typical for the ones that are UK owned (imported or otherwise) - I've been looking at a fair old few trying to find 'the one'!. You could probably pop an extra 2g on both models for a fresh import from what I've been seeing.

IMO, I don't think there is too much to choose from quality wise between a fresh import and a UK owned one (just making sure that there's a good amount of service history and the body work is ok). Although for me, a fresh import looks slightly more attractive even with the higher price.

Looks like over time they're pretty good at retaining a good value, so not a bad investment.

Fuuny you say that but a bloke in my street has just bought a 1994 J-spec Supra RZ in silver, thats the colour of my car, 2 the same colour within 100 metres. The bloke is nice enough and I have already spoke to him about the club and the mods for the car.

Now this is the surprise, are you ready for it. He told me he paid £5000, yeh £5000. Not bad for a TT RZ with Advan Racing Alloys, Uk Brakes and a HKS exhaust. Admittely the car needs a good clean but for £5000 that is a bargain, if he spends another £5000 he will have a pucker Soop f10,000.

Bloody hell I hope he was lying about the price but you never know but £5000 did sound very cheap. I to looked on the Auto Trader and I only saw 1 or 2 High milers RZ for £7000 - £8000 so I dont have to start worrying yet.

I think the prices are dropping but not that much, anyway I am not planning to sell my Soop so I am not bothered about the price. The only problem I can see is that they may become more common. When I bought my Soop 11 months ago there was only 1 other in my town i think. I now know of 5 or 6, I think all prospective sellers need to drive the prices up, dont be tempted to drop the price for a quick sell. Supply and demand, the more demand the higher price so start high.

Well I've got my Supra on Autotrader for £9500 and haven't had a single call !

but it does look like the prices are down as there are several traders selling well below that but they're including things like "body coloured bumpers" in the description so probably don't know what they're selling :( - could be some bargains out there for some people but it's not a good time to sell

Originally posted by Vaughany

Fuuny you say that but a bloke in my street has just bought a 1994 J-spec Supra RZ in silver, thats the colour of my car, 2 the same colour within 100 metres. The bloke is nice enough and I have already spoke to him about the club and the mods for the car.

Now this is the surprise, are you ready for it. He told me he paid £5000, yeh £5000. Not bad for a TT RZ with Advan Racing Alloys, Uk Brakes and a HKS exhaust. Admittely the car needs a good clean but for £5000 that is a bargain, if he spends another £5000 he will have a pucker Soop f10,000.

Bloody hell I hope he was lying about the price but you never know but £5000 did sound very cheap. I to looked on the Auto Trader and I only saw 1 or 2 High milers RZ for £7000 - £8000 so I dont have to start worrying yet.

and if it`s the one i think it is.it also has two new turbo`s and a new exhaust.i`m gutted as i failed to leave my phone number with her or else it would have been mine.

Guest suprageoff

Well we're probably going to put our Supra up for sale - £9000, itmay be at Billing. I want to change it for a Lotus Esprit and still keep the ZX TT.

Geoff.

Originally posted by apoc_reg

Is it possible it will get any better?

Well let's face it - very few cars hold their value, let alone go up in price. The big question is if the Supra will become a classic or not, as that will firm up prices quite nicely. All the 'TF&TF' stuff should have firmed up prices for a while, but it didn't quite seem to have the desired effect.

I would expect something like this to happen:

1) Prices drop

2) Once prices go sub-10k, prices will start to drop faster

3) Once prices go sub-5k, prices will accelerate and drop even faster

4) General bottoming out of the market. Cars become difficult to shift as there's so many cheap ones about

5) Cars start to get scrapped and crashed, number in existance start to go down, image (and therefore desireability) rapidly goes downhill

6) As they become rarer, prices start to rise a little.

7) If they reach 'classic' status, prices will start to firm up considerably.

We're probably around the 2) stage at the moment (I'm talking about TTs here). Once there are TTs being sold around the 5k mark you can expect things to go considerably pearshaped :(

Certain things could have an effect though: firstly, depending on what happens with the import laws, Supra imports may dry up. If that happens then all of us will be better off as there are then a limited number of cars available in the UK. Secondly, certain models are rarer already and command higher prices (aerotops for example, facelift NA aerotops, late model tiptronics, etc), and there's no reason to suspect that this situation will change (in other words, I would expect rare models to always command more than the more common ones).

Thirdly, the big question is if we actually skip stages 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 and go straight to 7! At the moment, the original S13 200SX is rapidly reaching the 4/5 stage and as they start to disappear as the boy racers and rust take over anyone who has a decent model will be sitting pretty. Once it's recognised that these are classic (and crucially rare) cars, the prices will start to rise. Hopefully this is what will happen with the Supra.

Lastly, the big question is if Toyota produce a new Supra. Personally I think their F1 involvement means they are waiting to have some success with that and then launch a new wonder car on the back of it (esp. with the new Honda NSX on the way). Looking at how the Mark IV depleted Mark III values you could see that happening to the Supra.... although the S14 200SX didn't have quite the same effect on the S13 version, mainly because the new model was more civilised and thus aimed at a slightly different market (GT versus street racer). If the new Supra is different than the Mark IV, prices won't be hurt as much. Problem is, the Supra is both a GT (UK car) and a street racer (J spec), so how do you design a new Supra to be different? I believe a new Supra could well be the death knell :(

How many old Jap cars are now at classic status? The original Starion, the early ZX Datsuns. So, anything from about 20-25 years ago then. One day the Mark IV will be a classic, but I can't see it happening for some time yet.

Of course, there's also the question of mods. Once you get to true classic status only original cars will count (will a heavily modified car even still be running by then?!). But what the heck... who's gonna wait around for 20 years on the off chance that the value will rise when you could enjoy it now?

Maybe something like mine - original, Aerotop, popular colour - will one day be a classic. Will I be able to afford to keep it running for that long? Probably not. I can see me selling it in 5 years time for a fraction of what I paid for it.

I sold my 93' GZ TT for 7K (on the BBS) and that was in excellent condition and put it on autotrader for 7,700.

my reason was leaving the country, i would have gone for about 8700 otherwise,

From what people told me who phoned me from Autotrader the condition of supra TT's around that price up to about 8500 were awful, even though traders / importers all say "excellent confition" they really were not. One guy was going to come all the way from Ireland to look at it !!!!!!!!

I think you can get a few bargains out there but there's an awful lot of rubbish too.

As for future prices, dont forget fuel prices are massivley high at the moment which can always put people off,

I dont think a new Supra would affect prices too much - in fact people see a MKV and think "my god thats awesome, but i cant afford it.....hang on theres a MKIV !?!?!?!?!!!! sweet!"