The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Do I Need To Do?

benkei

So after having my Supra for the second week (and still loving every second!) I had help from a member to take a look round it to help me out with what it's got, what it needs, and what my plans to be are...

Firstly, I'd like to get my car to BPU level, so here's how things are at the moment...

- I have an Apexi panel filter in the standard air box, which I'm happy with.

- I have both catalytic converters in, and a HKS Priest Exhaust system. I'm currently running 1.1bar of boost, which I've been told is very bad with both cats in as this can increase temps and cause problems! - So I'll need both decats and a 2" restrictor ring. Garage Whifbitz sells 2.5" decats... So will I still need the restrictor ring if they're not 3"?

- It looks like the heater matrix has been repaired/replaced - though I have a high Pressure Apexi radiator bung, which I intend to replace with an OEM item as not to put too much strain on the cooling system.

- The side-mounted intercooler is flakey and needs replacing - I have seen a front mount intercooler, again on Garage Whifbitz which I can replace this with.

- I have an Apexi FC ECU with Commander Controller - I have no idea what map it is running, nor how to use it!

It looks like the Supra was running big power in Japan due to the Aftermarket LSD, triple plate clutch, and Apexi ECU. So I am replacing the OS Giken clutch with a more suitable one.

How do I know if the Supra has a FCD? Will this be built into the apexi FC, or added seperately? Does the Apexi FC de-restrict the 112mph limit, or is that also done seperately?

Is there anything else I would need to take into concideration which I haven't mentioned already?

Edited by benkei (see edit history)

Very doubtful it was ever running big power, as despite the PFC, its still got std turbos and cats still in along with std SMIC, why get rid of the triple clutch? unless it very on/off although it shouldn't be that bad being a triple.

The map will be near equivalent to std on the PFC being pretty much std,also there will be no speed limiter, and the LSD is quite common option for a Jspec car.

Yes you'll still need a restrictor ring.

The Apexi Power FC is a bit of an unknown quantity if it was fitted when you got it, they can remove speed and fuel cut, when you go BPU I would get someone to check/tweak the mapping to make sure all is well.

You'll also need cooler grade plugs, boost gauge and new fuel pump. I would also renew the coil pack connectors at the same time if they haven't already been done.