The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone run unstaggered wheels???

Kirk

Is there anyone on here who runs the same width wheel and tyres on all 4 corners?

Im after a bit of input on this one as im looking at trying this out with my NA after speaking to a few people stateside who run this setup and like it alot.

Thoughts?

How come you'd want to run non staggered wheels? Cheaper tyres?

Not at all. Even though tyre prices are rediculous, this isnt the issue.

Reason i ask is its been suggested to me by a friend of mine who does alot of track work in his sup, he's not the forum before you ask.

He finds his BPU handles and grips alot better running 255 on all corners with no rear ARB and stock LSD funnily enough,and thinks i should try it to see for myself.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Not at all. Even though tyre prices are rediculous, this isnt the issue.

Reason i ask is its been suggested to me by a friend of mine who does alot of track work in his sup, he's not the forum before you ask.

He finds his BPU handles and grips alot better running 255 on all corners with no rear ARB and thinks i should try it to see for myself.

I'd have thought the wider the tyre on the driving wheels, the better the grip when accelerating on the straights and when cornering. Could be wrong though.

Well sense dictates that response but think about it if you chuck your car into a corner and the skinnier front tyres lose grip causing the car to understeer and make the rear tyres job much more difficult.

What if you put that same size tyre up front? A wider tyre would increase front end grip would it not?

I dunno im just toying with the idea at the minute.

Nope - and I'm sure your insurance wouldn't be overly impressed matey.

My insurance company wouldn't care as long as I told them about it and obviously wasn't going with something really odd like a 215 front and rear. What do you think would not impress your insurance company if you said you wanted to run (for example) a 9.5" wheel front and rear with a 265 width tyre?

On a similar note - I believe the Supra manual states that for winter use the same size tyres (235 width) should be used front and rear.

Well sense dictates that response but think about it if you chuck your car into a corner and the skinnier front tyres lose grip causing the car to understeer and make the rear tyres job much more difficult.

What if you put that same size tyre up front? A wider tyre would increase front end grip would it not?

Loads of guys in the US run same width front and rear, have a look on the road racing forum if you are interested. 275's and 285's seem pretty common :D

Loads of guys in the US run same width front and rear, have a look on the road racing forum if you are interested. 275's and 285's seem pretty common :D

Yeah ive read but 275s on an NA? comeon be sensible :D

There is one on there i know of you runs 275s on all corners but with a much stiffer front ARB, no rear ARB and stock torsen diff aswel... Obviously spring rates come much into play with no rear bar but i like experimenting :D

Oh, I thought you meant to run the skinnier wheels/tyres at the rear too, not fatter tyres at the front! :blush:

The more grip you have at the front the twitchier the rear will be

See im not so sure. I dont doubt your word dude as you know more than me when it comes to track. Ive been out in his car tonight and well its very very predictable and balanced. Again it could all be down to his suspension setup aswel i dont know but im thinking of experimenting :)

Mine was 100% totally stock when I baught it as the 3rd owner and the car was imported new iirc and it definitely had the same width all round. Nobody changed the rears ether. The guy I got it off was an old boy who had the car donkeys years and the first owner was the importer for a few months.