The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bloody heatshield, easy to take off? Not mine.

BazzaAlpine

Well I went out and bought some ratchet (spelling?) spanners today with the aim of 2 things. Replace the cooling fan that had sezied then subsiquently loosened (think some bearings had collapsed) and to replace the heatshield with this one from my old engine.

Couldn't undo the fan as the bolts were too tight and kept turning the whole thing. Ending up nipping round to the garage and they changed it for me.

Anyway, let the engine cool down then make a start on swapping over the heatsheild. Took the 2 rubber pipes off to get better access and managed to get 3 of the bolts off of the thing (they now sitting in some white vinigar for the night as they were rusted to hell. Thanks to whoever said they had done that with thiers) but could I get the last one off? :( Over an hour I spent on that thing. Soaked it with some WD40, tried the spanner / socket set, hell I ever resorted to pliers in the end as they were all gradually rounding the head anyway. If I move the heatshield the bolt moves as well but thats only a tiny fraction.

Culprit:

In the end I just gave it a scrub with a wire brush to get rid of most of the rust and cleaned up the engine bay a bit. :(

Might give it another quick go in the morning but for all those of you that said it was something easy to do.... YOU LIED!

Okay just tried that and it still not loosening. I think what I'm going to have to do (some other time now) is remove the rubber pipe just above it (arrowed in below pic) and that should give me enough leaverage to get the damn thing off. Anyone know what the part number for that is, or whats good as a replacement, as I looked at getting it off yesterday but it was breaking up as soon as I started.

Remove all the plumbing and gain access for a 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive single hex quality socket and extension. Pray it doesn't snap or the remains will need drilling out the hole Helicoiling. In some perverse way I am glad when people struggle with what they perceive to be a simple job as it helps them understand why garages have to charge a lot, or the estimate is just that, an ESTIMATE of the cost :) Good luck, I think you should make access for a proper socket though, and it MUST be a single hex...

Thanks Chris. That could be where I was going wrong as none of my tools are single hex. Soesn't matter what tools you have you'll never have just the right one :(

Marc I was think that as I was struggling with mine. I was going to try and see if I could get it to slide out under the engine :s Oh and thanks for letting me know about your bots....Sod :p