The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing OEM Skirts and Spats

dandan

Can anyone give me any pointers about removing the OEM skirts and spats as far as avoiding damage to paintwork underneath, any adhesive, is it likely I'll need a bodyshop to respray parts underneath etc?

Hopefully they'll just unscrew/clip/pull off and then with a bit of polish they'll look spot on with the simpler sleek non-skirted setup.

Cheers

Dan

Go around all the edges with the jet wash, especially underneath, to clean out the accumulated muck and also give a good hot blasting on the double sided tape between skirts and top of cills and top and rear edges of spats to try and lift some of it.

When dry, give the fixing screws and double sided tape a blathering with WD40, a generous squib of this on the adhesive tape once a day for a week before you do the job will soften the adhesive and make removal a lot easier.

Plastic window spacer wedges are good for pushing the 'demon' double sided tape off without scratching the paintwork.

With OE fitment this works a treat, but if someone has stuck them on with that Tiger glue shite.......

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies guys -sounds like a job to really take my time with.

I need to get the alternate trim pieces collected from another member and then I'll think about taking these off for a look. They are gunmetal and facelift versions which means the spats have a small half cutout for the rear sidelight.

Thanks for all the advice guys - so far I have one skirt off without any real problems. I may tackle the next one tonight. :)

Perfect colour and model - Can't see why you'd want to take them off but good luck. PM me if you end up selling, will definitely have them

Lovely car btw

Thanks Eddie - I just fancy a change to be honest; I've had the car for roughly seven years and the only thing I have ever changed is various sets of wheels. I'll see how it looks without the extra bodywork bits and then make a decision. I've seen a couple of gunmetal ones with no skirts and didn't think they looked all that good. On the other had my old man's RSP looks excellent with no skirts as does my brother's Quicksilver car. Paint colour, wheel choice and ride height seem to have a large role to play :D