The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pirelli Tyres

T2 MSW

Well the news is now out that Pirelli will be the sole tyre supplier for Time Attack this season. The tyre type has just been announced and from what I gather there are a few people that are not too impressed.

Do any members have any practical experience of running Pirelli PZero's or Rosso's on a supra with over 600hp?

Any opinions welcome.

Surely they will be supplying the replacement for the excellent P-Zero Corsas, the new Trofeo? They are supposed to be very good, but as I found a stash of unused Corsas for sale quite cheap I haven't tried them yet. Would be surprised if they are as good as the Pilot Sport Cups from Michelin though, they were the benchmark by some margin.

I would not be surprised if many cars were not quicker on the current P-Zero road tyre than the basically awful R888's :) The problem with a hugely heavy 2 WD car with a lot of grunt may be just how quickly they go off. Those with good suspension set ups and a smooth power delivery will have less of a problem than those with iffy suspension and a trigger like power curve. Could be quite interesting and technical.

Those that rave about them haven't compared them to Corsas or Pilot Sport Cups. It's then you see how awful they are. Having said that, when they first came out they were very cheap. There may be a glut of them about now, with the sponsorship change, although some sizes were in short supply or unavailable, which was no good at all for tyres mid season for a race series.

With tyres, like brake fluid, oils and brake pads, calipers and many other things, you get what you pay for. As a bonus, given similar usage, the dearer motorsport biased DOT legal tyres last a lot longer, too.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I have always used the N rated Pirelli P-Zero tyres on my Supra. I think they perform very well, although in very wet conditions they can be a bit lively. When I bought a set of new 265/35's last year I noticed that the price had gone up dramatically. Luckily I get them through a friend who does me a very good price.

My car is currently BPU, however by the end of this year it will be around 600bhp. I intend to keep these tyres so will be better informed then.

My experience is that they wear very well too.

I've run the Corsa's on track and give them the thumbs up. They need a small amount of heat in them to perform at their best, but they are in a different league in terms of durability compared to the 888. I've not actually fitted 888 to the Supra, but can compare them to my pals E46 M3 and Corrado VR6 which both virtually chewed through their driven tyres in one 'ring trip whereas mine could manage at least 3 'ring trips at 1-1.1bar BPU. Also worth mentioning I've managed to get away with running 235/45/17 all round.

Mike, I think there needs to be some real evidence for us to see if the Pirelli's are any good.

I'm not knocking the tyre, but I want to see proof in terms of performance on a back to back test with data logging.

Theres a lot of speculation over these tyres, both good and bad, so it needs to be proved before some people will commit to this series....

Chris is right in terms of the R888's performance, as a lot of people state they aren't the best - but I can also add that we can compete on these tyres (forced or not!) for pretty much a complete season of TA racing on one set of tyres.

I'm personally reserving judgement until I see facts, nd try for ourselves - not "they were 1.5 seconds quicker than R888's " without data.

We's also have to use two different tyres (front and rear) as Pirelli don't make the same tyre in our sizes .... again whats the proof this will be ok.

Theres also an interesting point of view about Pirelli being a 'sponsor' - I can order the same tyres from etyres, and have them fitted for the same amount that Pirelli would supply... ( and the fact it increases our running costs for a set of tyres by nearly 50%)

BTW - if anyones interested in a lively debate on this, see the MLR forum :)

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=356152&page=15

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

I'm with you Steve, I'd like to try them or see some data first but I've not got the luxury of being able to test them before the first round, unless you want to lend me your car :)

I'm going to be pushed to get the car ready for April as it's currently got no turbo side on at all and my new turbo won't be here till end of march.

My first test of these tires will be at oulton which I don't like the idea of.

i run a trackday yesterday on p-zero rossos and one thing i will say is that you have to run them hard from the off to get any temp into them, they dont offer much in the way of grip when cold but after a few hard laps they come alive and hang on a bit better. they do wear well though . in the early sesiions i tryed to warm them gently and they just wouldnt come in

i run a trackday yesterday on p-zero rossos and one thing i will say is that you have to run them hard from the off to get any temp into them, they dont offer much in the way of grip when cold but after a few hard laps they come alive and hang on a bit better. they do wear well though . in the early sesiions i tryed to warm them gently and they just wouldnt come in

Any idea of what temps you were putting into them?