The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1UZ V8 Supercharger drift track fast road Supra mk4 manual JZA80

H7ERO

Iv been using a mk3 supra for drifting the last two years with a 1uz and my own manual adaptor plate the time has come to upgrade to the mk4 chassis . . . il miss the pop ups but cant knock the mk4 . . much better upgradabillity and dynamics

Heres the thread to the mk3 and how I made the adapotor plate

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/79508-mk3-supra-1uzfe-manual-gearbox-adaptor-plate.html

Hybrid helped me find this a great car many thanks to John for the car I know he was sad to see it go! need some cosmetic putting back together nothing major!

Amazingly the number plate was only 1 digit different to my last mkiv supra which was also a SZR manual (LSD bilsteins skirts n spats) and also i still had my bucket seat, subframe , harness bar etc to all just bolt back in and the 4 pot brakes off the Ls400 my 1uz is out of . . . . so no money has to be spent yet lol!

Thanks to darren for this whifbits bonnet n boomex lip i love it and couldnt resist as they were already in black!

Engine out ready for its new home . . after an extensive examination of my adaptor plate theres nothing at all out of place worn cracked or showing any signs of not working correctly which is a relief . . after 2 years of hard drift use . . . :)

Cant say the same of the soarer engine mounts il need to use both sheared in half!

Edited by H7ERO (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Morris Sorted me with some sexy manifolds . .

And the engine was promplty droped in the bay! boy it sits far back, had to do interesting things with the engine crane to get it in! and now my supra sits an inch higher so it must be a fair bit lighter . . .cant argue with that an all alloy engine lighter and further back in the bay!

• 1 month later...

Lots of fun as usual with the wiring, had to rebuild the PAS pump too as it wasnt working and fitted a mk3 PAS cooler as its routed to the right side and has propper cooling elements (anyone who uses a supra on track knows how hot the PAS fluid gets and affects the steering) sorted out some guages (to read the tach signal water temp and oil pressure)

Had flanges for the new manifolds lazer cut and made up a y pipe.. ..but its all running and drivng now . . MOT time yay (not)

And these ls 400 brakes ready to go on . .

I drift a Supra but unlike you or others have mentioned, I've not yet experienced any problems from the PAS fluid over heating ?

The STATS team have mentioned the same, although Im not using the standard PAS cooler, Im using a small cooler with fins, like what you have in your picture but just one ;)

All running and working fine now! got the tax and MOT and im really really happy with it its an awsome package a supra which is a great car anyway with a manual V8! the sound is imense when you down shift and floor it! (sound clips coming soon) its the best of all the cars iv had an built befor and saved me a few bob over getting a TVR!

now i can just tart it up and lower it and stuff . . .

I can hold it on full lock all day long and i could from the first day i got the car (that was part of the test drive lol) as could you if you practiced . . . it has got good lock compared to other cars and definatly doesnt need more its just right as standard will hold a nice angle and just that bit extra to slow down whilst sliding, id only put more lock for high speed fast initiations and line options because thats what im inclined to do its not necessary at all.

swampy this is the engine from my mk3 supra which was my car after the aristo (it went to ireland for drifting) i really liked the mk3 but after 2 years i couldnt do anything more to it without big bucks . . mk4s drive better and have so much better suport although this is significantly slower than the mk 3 was. mainly due to weight and final drive ratio . . .a supercharger may cure that

Its not rubish by any means or extent of anyones imagination, the requirement for lock modification its totally blown out of proportion implying you cant drift with standard lock which is 100% not the case

The only reason it ever need modifying is if you are dedicated to drifting at an advanced level, and are at that level. otherwise in my opinion you are doing yourself a disservice

Higher drift angle can be achieved with higher speed also having more lock means your less likly to spin out in a high level move but it will scrub off loads of speed too. its obviouse when you see someone use it and when your in the car you (suprash will know) as the car will slow dramaticaly. this is good especially in reducing radius bends or if you can master an almost backward entry as you can use full lock alsmost instead of a brake (but you can do this on a standard supra too)

youve got about 10 deg more lock than standard and your using 3 -4 deg of it in that pic, (on a very tight corner) its good i like it il alsmost certainly copy you! lol (imitiation is the sincerest form of flatery) you are trying to compete at national level in competition! which is the point im making.

Im just Putting MY foot down on the myth of lock mods as a pre requsite for anything but dedicated high level drifting. if you cant learn and be good standard in a standard supra you just are not trying hard enough.

I want to see more people drifting the supra, and drifting in general its a great sport in 8 years im not bored of it in any way. its afordable its fun and a supra is probably one of the best cars out of the box to use. Dont find escuses and forum myths not to do it

You dont need nothing but to get your ass to an event!

other relevant forum myth busting :

contrary to popular forum regurgitation the W58 is an awsome and very strong box with a great shift and perfectly happy behind a V8 (I have had a R154 behind one its character is totally different)you only need to drive a car with a 154 to know youd rather have a w58,

Boxes mainly fail because people use stupid clutches. . . .think about what a clutch is actaully for . . not from a tuner bling super power point of view but the function its designed to perform in every road car . . to put it bluntly the clutch is there to save the gearbox so make sure you use one that will

MR2 flywheel needs a new patern drilled into it and then will fit and function

fine on a 1uz. you want a lightweight flywheel? use a mr2 non turbo one.

The torsen LSD is good for drifting if you cant drift to a good standard with the LSD from a MK4 supra try harder

please escuse my spelling

I totally agree with everything you have said there ;)

Firstly lock, I was never saying you can not drift unless you have modified lock, you can I agree, but once you start drifting, to get big angles and crazy entries you WILL NEED more lock. Modified lock is only needed in 2 circumstances, 1) as a beginner if you spin out a lot, with the extra lock you can recover more, 2) at a higher level/competition/high speed entry corners judges will always be looking for the backwards entry and near 90 degree angle to the direction you are travelling to award big points, its about showmanship. But if you look at my pic about and the angle of the car from the direction I have been travelling from, its about or near on 90 degree's, you just wouldnt be able to do that with stock lock.

Secondly, clutches, this is something I have been discussing about with others, and as you have pointed out, everyone seems to think you need an uprated clutch to drift, you dont, and I have decided to stay with my stock clutch until it can no longer handle the power Im putting through the drivetrain and it starts slipping. I've decided this because there are occassions when I'll need to clutch kick to raise my revs when it bogs down through a corner. If you have a uprated clutch and you clutch kick a lot, your gearbox will be die. Using a softer clutch if you clutch click will take the harshness off the gearbox.

Lastly, the only reason I went with a R154 gearbox over a W58 is because it seems the W58 cant handle that much power. If they break under a certain amount of power on a road car then they would never survive in a drift car with the abuse. Im currently running just shy of 400bhp and whilst a W58 might still be able to cope with this power, it would limit me from getting more power in the future, where as I know I can still put a bit more power through the 154 confidently, and it'll still take the abuse of clutch kicking and general drift abuse.

But Im with you, I totally agree in everything you have said, its all spot on. The same as I have always said you dont need a car with a huge parts list to drift/compete. You dont need adjustable arms, fancy 2way diffs or hydo handbrakes. I run a auto diff, welded. I run stock arms and the stock handbrake. Fancy parts wont make you drift better, seat time makes you drift better, and it pains me to see people spending 2 years building a drift car, spending countless thousands on parts they think they need and then wonder why they arent a pro once they get out there ;)

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

Awesome car. Similar look to the original Thor cars.

I would imagine you are able to use the W58 since you are obviously NA in the 1UZ, Ash with the TT at 400BHP and drifting might struggle with the W58. Its not the power that kills the boxes, its the torque and how it is developed. Smooth V8 torque built from low down and available all through the rev range is a lot more forgiving than manic TT torque dumped in as soon as tubby 2 spools, or worse still, on a single as soon as a huge great efficient turbo spools.

Awesome car. Similar look to the original Thor cars.

I would imagine you are able to use the W58 since you are obviously NA in the 1UZ, Ash with the TT at 400BHP and drifting might struggle with the W58. Its not the power that kills the boxes, its the torque and how it is developed. Smooth V8 torque built from low down and available all through the rev range is a lot more forgiving than manic TT torque dumped in as soon as tubby 2 spools, or worse still, on a single as soon as a huge great efficient turbo spools.

*cough* NA-T *cough* :D