The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter Hibernation Over!!!

Jellybean

What do you guys do when you are laying up for the winter? Insurance and tax wise? I've always just paid right through, stupidly, and my car can be garaged for months at a time. Honestly, the pay per mile thing would be fantastic for me in the Supra :D

Here in Ireland its 1400 euro a year on road tax so I just insure her but they are bring in legislation, once you have a vehicle registered in your name regardless if it is on the road or even has an engine in there, legally you will have to tax her even if she is in your garage

If you dont tax her, At the point you try to tax her again you will have to back tax it

thats how bad it has got over here

Here in Ireland its 1400 euro a year on road tax so I just insure her but they are bring in legislation, once you have a vehicle registered in your name regardless if it is on the road or even has an engine in there, legally you will have to tax her even if she is in your garage

If you dont tax her, At the point you try to tax her again you will have to back tax it

thats how bad it has got over here

Oh, what is the tax for in Ireland? In the UK it's for the roads, so if you aren't using the public roads you don't need to pay.

Oh, what is the tax for in Ireland? In the UK it's for the roads, so if you aren't using the public roads you don't need to pay.

The tax over here was for the roads but they are saying now it's a carbon tax. It's a joke is what it is & there is no way i will tax mine to sit in the garage for a few month over the winter.

How can it be for carbon if you aren't producing any? That's just mental. How much carbon does a Supra produce in the garage, idle? Must be high to be paying €1400 lol.

Yeah the irish government is killing this country with all the tax they add to everything. When i moved over here from scotland 11 years ago i loved it, lately though i'm thinking alot about moving back because the cost of having a life over here has just went crazy.

I put my Supe away for the winter and don't take it out in the rain during summer either :D I pay insurance all the way through the winter even though it's locked away in the garage of my house. Because if it's not insured, sods law says my house will burn down with the car in the garage or some how it will get damaged. Better to be safe than sorry ;) Oh and sometimes it's taxed throughout winter, but other times I've sorned it if I remember :D

I'm looking forward to getting the Supe out again now the weathers picking up, can't wait for the Dragonball for some real Supra action with everybody else :)

Since when was our rd tax used for the rd. We would have the smoothest rds in the world if it was. Mine has been off rd for 2 yrs now really looking forward to getting on rd in May

A small slice of it is used for the roads. However, the point is that the reason for paying "Road tax" is to be allowed to keep your car on a public road. If it is kept in private you shouldn't need to pay it.

I put my Supe away for the winter and don't take it out in the rain during summer either :D I pay insurance all the way through the winter even though it's locked away in the garage of my house. Because if it's not insured, sods law says my house will burn down with the car in the garage or some how it will get damaged. Better to be safe than sorry ;) Oh and sometimes it's taxed throughout winter, but other times I've sorned it if I remember :D

I'm looking forward to getting the Supe out again now the weathers picking up, can't wait for the Dragonball for some real Supra action with everybody else :)

Pretty much ditto the above for me.

What if you refurb a car that's been sat for 15 years) 15 years of tax to pay?

No you only have to back tax it if it was in your name when last taxed. Basiclly if you bought it to restore then you would have to back tax it to the date it was signed over to you.

I don't think this law is in yet & tbh i can't see the government getting away with it.

Guest blueangel

mine hasnt been taxed tested or insured for the last 3 and a half years but in the next month or so the mot and tax are being sorted and the insurance has been for awhile now.