The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Little whistling noise at Idle

Stewart10

Just noticed when I stopped the car yesterday I got out with the engine running I could hear a small s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s noise when parked. It wasn't one of those fan belt noises because it wasn't that loud but just enough to annoy me, I don't really know what it is but it is the first time I have heard it... any clues??

crank pulley , do the tipex test, put a line of tipex on the crank pulley (the larger bottom one that the aux belt goes round) from the centre to the out side drive the car for a bit then see if the line is still complete,

if it is i would then say you have a split vac hose somewhere

Just checked auto data & it says the crank shaft bolt needs to be torqued to 324nm, is this the proper torque?

What's the best way to loosing that bolt if that's the case?

Nice hi jack!

but to get the crank pulley bolt off i cheated massively, alot of people on here will hate the way i done it but its very simple get a long braker bar with socket put in position so that its touching the floor and can not spin all the way around a nice 60 degree angle something like this \ then turn over the engine it may take a couple of times to un lock the bolt but thats it undone :D

( make sure you have it on the correct side other wise it will spin up from the floor and smash everthing in its way) so check what way your engine turns first .

then tighten it back up to touque with correct tool, i did not have correct tool so just tightend mine up as much as i could and its still in place and tight 1year latter

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)