The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the best way to flatten lacquer for a glass finish?

Scott

Job done, got some 2000 grit and just went nuts. I don't have any pads for my kestrel so I just went nuts with a cheapo one I bought ages ago. They came up absolutely mint. I only had the cotton pad thing to go with but it did a fantastic job.... now like glass!

Cheers

Just got to wait now to be smacked up the arse cause they can't see your brake lights :)

Edit: smoked lenses do look good though on a black car

Had tinted lenses for 2 years now (C-West covers) and not had any issues with MOT, driver awareness or otherwise so I'm not overly concerned :)

You would be surprised how much tinting you can do before the light fades.

Get some pics up then

Will get some pics up in daylight. If I take a pic with the flash you can't see the effect, without it's just too dark to see properly.

Was getting dark when I got in but I managed to get a quick snap of how it looks..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=126590&stc=1&d=1297202517

Very nice. Crackin' job. :thumbs: There's generally not so much info for rear lights. What products did you use Scott? Method? I hate bodywork stuff I'm a tad heavy handed. :D

Also do you know of the LED's mentioned above?

Cheers Scott :D

Very nice. Crackin' job. :thumbs: There's generally not so much info for rear lights. What products did you use Scott? Method? I hate bodywork stuff I'm a tad heavy handed. :D

Also do you know of the LED's mentioned above?

Cheers Scott :D

The method was pretty much brute force and ignorance. :D

1 Can of tinting spray

1 pack of wipes

1 container of isopropyl alcohol

Fairy Liquid

1 tub of water

1 can of lacquer

Masking Tape

2 sheets of 2000 grit paper

1 bottle of Plastix or T-Cut or some kind of light cutting paste

1 cheap ass rotary polisher

1 cheap ass mop

Clean the light as best you can using wipes and hot soapy water.

Rinse off the lights thoroughly with hot clean water

Allow to air dry (hot water means it will take less time)

Mask up the areas you don't want to get covered

Rub over area to be painted with wipe dipped in alcohol

Spray with tinting spray over 3 coats (15 mins per coat) - The stuff goes on great, it's almost like a powder. Cracking can spray to work with.

Allow to dry - Only takes about half an hour to an hour at room temp

Once completely dry give another wipe with alcohol - I left it till the next day, this will dull the finish... don't worry.

Spray with lacquer, 3-4 coats at 30 minute intervals.

Allow to dry and harden - Only took an hour or 2 for me

Rub down with 2000 grit paper and water - the water is important, stops the paper getting clogged and acts as lube :D

Work in some Plastix with a clean microfibre cloth

Polish and buff to an almighty great finish using cheap ass rotary polisher and mop

I could get even better results if I needed it to be honest. Using a decent mop and a good polish would see them come up a little better. Not necessary for the rear lights though, the finish I have now has surpassed what I was after :D

I use LEDs for my front side lights & Indicators (From Si). Don't think I will bother with the rears, I don't think they are necessary and they won't look any different behind the tint IMO.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

The method was pretty much brute force and ignorance. :D

1 Can of tinting spray

1 pack of wipes

1 container of isopropyl alcohol

Fairy Liquid

1 tub of water

1 can of lacquer

Masking Tape

2 sheets of 2000 grit paper

1 bottle of Plastix or T-Cut or some kind of light cutting paste

1 cheap ass rotary polisher

1 cheap ass mop

Clean the light as best you can using wipes and hot soapy water.

Rinse off the lights thoroughly with hot clean water

Allow to air dry (hot water means it will take less time)

Mask up the areas you don't want to get covered

Rub over area to be painted with wipe dipped in alcohol

Spray with tinting spray over 3 coats (15 mins per coat) - The stuff goes on great, it's almost like a powder. Cracking can spray to work with.

Allow to dry - Only takes about half an hour to an hour at room temp

Once completely dry give another wipe with alcohol - I left it till the next day, this will dull the finish... don't worry.

Spray with lacquer, 3-4 coats at 30 minute intervals.

Allow to dry and harden - Only took an hour or 2 for me

Rub down with 2000 grit paper and water - the water is important, stops the paper getting clogged and acts as lube :D

Work in some Plastix with a clean microfibre cloth

Polish and buff to an almighty great finish using cheap ass rotary polisher and mop

I could get even better results if I needed it to be honest. Using a decent mop and a good polish would see them come up a little better. Not necessary for the rear lights though, the finish I have now has surpassed what I was after :D

I use LEDs for my front side lights & Indicators (From Si). Don't think I will bother with the rears, I don't think they are necessary and they won't look any different behind the tint IMO.

Cheers mate. :) All this stuff available from your local Halfrauds? I've got Si's LED sidelights so I'm going to give them the first go. :)

Cheers mate. :) All this stuff available from your local Halfrauds? I've got Si's LED sidelights so I'm going to give them the first go. :)

I wouldn't go with halfords

The tinting spray I bought was e-tech, fantastic stuff. Cheapest price was on ebay.

The sandpaper I also got from ebay, 100 sheets or something for very little money.

Wipes from work

Alcohol I got from my work. (Vodka will do, leave a little longer to dry though)

Fairy Liquid was from the co-op

Water from the tap :D

Lacquer originally from ebay but had to make an emergency dash to my local motor factors after the can had emptied itself in the post.

Masking tape from work (can be gotten from any DIY store)

Plastix I got from my local motor factors but I dare say Ebay might be cheaper, even halfords. Was around £6

The polisher and mop was a cheapo from ebay. I think I got it for around £40. Variable speed one (Important). I haven't had the mezzles to put it near my car though :D

If it's of any interest to you I have ordered up more supplies to tint the UK rears I have for sale. I was going to just put them on ebay as they seem to go for top dollar on there but if you are interested I'm sure we could come to an arrangement :D

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I wouldn't go with halfords

The tinting spray I bought was e-tech, fantastic stuff. Cheapest price was on ebay.

The sandpaper I also got from ebay, 100 sheets or something for very little money.

Wipes from work

Alcohol I got from my work. (Vodka will do, leave a little longer to dry though)

Fairy Liquid was from the co-op

Water from the tap :D

Lacquer originally from ebay but had to make an emergency dash to my local motor factors after the can had emptied itself in the post.

Masking tape from work (can be gotten from any DIY store)

Plastix I got from my local motor factors but I dare say Ebay might be cheaper, even halfords. Was around £6

The polisher and mop was a cheapo from ebay. I think I got it for around £40. Variable speed one (Important). I haven't had the mezzles to put it near my car though :D

If it's of any interest to you I have ordered up more supplies to tint the UK rears I have for sale. I was going to just put them on ebay as they seem to go for top dollar on there but if you are interested I'm sure we could come to an arrangement :D

Cracked up. :D I'll get the supplies and yes mate looking at your work I'd be interested. One thing, two actually car's jspec and I have the fog light conversion so is this a straight in out? Crap at lecky stuff too. :D

Cracked up. :D I'll get the supplies and yes mate looking at your work I'd be interested. One thing, two actually car's jspec and I have the fog light conversion so is this a straight in out? Crap at lecky stuff too. :D

It's even easier. You can sell the fog light mod gubbins with your lights. Only need 1 feed from the switch to the lights without any relays or anything, which you will already have. My car is jspec too.

I'll get them sorted then give you first refusal with info required for the swap.

It's even easier. You can sell the fog light mod gubbins with your lights. Only need 1 feed from the switch to the lights without any relays or anything, which you will already have. My car is jspec too.

I'll get them sorted then give you first refusal with info required for the swap.

:thumbs: Cheers mate.

Lots of info Lol. :D