The mkiv Supra Owners Club

i was warned about these failing!!

Crouch

Well got home from some over time today thinkin some extra money will be good for the 800hp project i'm collecting for and noticed that i had a message i missed! Fair enough i check it and its my mate saying "phone me regarding your car" Still not worried as he was pricing some tyres for me and should be giving me the quote. I call him and notice he does'nt sound happy infact a little worried i'd say, now i'm thinkin this is gonna be bad! he starts by the way i'd feared!.. "you know your car well i was driving to get some petrol and erm!" at this point my arse collapsed waiting for the "i was coming round a corner and the next thing!" so he carry's on "i was driving along a sixty road and there was u huge bang then the sound of what i thought was things decintegrating to put it lightly!" anyway at this point i'm thinkin the whole engines let go ( i have aem ems and heard the horror stories) i expected him to tell me about con rods peaking out the side of the block and chunks of piston skipping down the road past him. after he calmed down a bit and stopped appologiesing i find out it's not as bad as i thought but it was something i became more aware about only days ago!! The crank damper bottom puley had exploded... Damn!! a few days ago i read that a screech when pulling away was a sign to check it and i had that. i am in the south east of Germany working and thought the car is only being started to keep the battery charged for the alarm it it will be fine till i get home in a month or so it was'nt bad. however the car needed petrol and the first time it's moved in three months boom!! Aint that some sh*t!!!

So does any body know where i can get a ATI damper or one like it to replace the standard one that gave up for a good price??? :(

And let this be a lesson to others a simple check goes a long way. i don't know how much damage has been caused but it will hold up my build for the sake of a tipex line... bollox!!!

are these the best, the cheapest or just the alternatives. do these last longer than standard? excuse my stupidity but it not something i know about and don't want to have to learn from another mistake! once bitten twice shy and that you know what i mean!

Mr Wilson i have heard from many sources that an uprated one is the best way to go on high power cars. I'm intending on pushing mine to 800hp give or take a few ponies. the uprated one's are stated to be safe to some 1200hp and 10,000 rpm ( i know they'll tell you anything to sell you one) Do you have an example of why you think the standard one is better?? i know that toyota done vast R+D to get the standard one but 800hp is no longer standard so what specificaly is the issue with after market ones??

Please do not take this as an attack just wondering why you came to your conclusion? experiance,preferance, knowladge of harmonics them selves?

http://www.chriswilson.tv/crankdampers.pdf The relevant stuff is towards the end if you are in a rush :) The aftermarket ones are generic and just try and damp a broad spectrum of frequencies, the stock one is tuned (it's dual mass for a start) to excitations the 2JZ is found prone to. With 800 hp as a goal you will no doubt be using a steel crank, which will help.

Might come off as a complete ticket here Mr Wilson but i was gonna have the stock crank checked for flaws and balance then use that! was told it'll take the power without issue as long as these points where sound. Is there somewhere that i can enquire about a steel crank as i can only find stroker cranks and i was informed by Mr jagman that they are a very bad idea!

Mr Jellybean after reading the artical that Mr Wilson has put up i have started to make enquireys as to get a new oem item as the artical states that the long duration high load applications are where the standard one is best and i'm after reliability as much as possible as this is costing me a fortune and i've only just started my build! I've decided to build another engine on the side for the high power i'm after as most of the parts of my car will need changing anyway as my current setup is only 612hp so there's a big gap to jump!!