The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To flock or not to flock ?

Dnk

That is the question :)

I've been thinking of doing the dash instrument panels and center console but should i do the main dash as well ?

Will this be too much or should i get the main dash done and do something else on the instrument area ?

Opinions welcomed

Hi Dunk, I would suggest you flock the dash unit & centre console, but paint the dash panels in a nice gloss black :cool:

BTW Who would do the flocking for you?

That sounds superb actually, I'd go with that too Dunk.

Flocking the whole dash looks good rather than doing just a centre console & then glossy black for the dash instrument panels (as mentioned above) will break it up to give is a nice classy look to the interior. I like it when a whole dash is worked on rather than just the centre parts, updates the dash to look more supercar like almost.

Actually on 2nd thoughts, after looking at this: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?211309-Flocked-dash-panels

Is Alcantara an option? (I Know you wanted opinions on flocking).

Unfortunately the camera is lying to you when it comes to these flocking photos as the flash catches on the fibres and makes everything look shiny and speckley when it actually isn't in ambient light.

I've just got my dash panels back after being flocked and will take some pictures with my SLR this weekend without the use of a flash - should show you what flocking looks like to a human eye.

Unfortunately the camera is lying to you when it comes to these flocking photos as the flash catches on the fibres and makes everything look shiny and speckley when it actually isn't in ambient light.

I've just got my dash panels back after being flocked and will take some pictures with my SLR this weekend without the use of a flash - should show you what flocking looks like to a human eye.

thats prob why i think it looks horrible, because all the pics of it on a supra looks like its been attacked by flee's

I am a fan of flocking when done properly to be honest :hide: but does depend a lot on how well it is applied.

My plan is to flock the main dash and then have the dash panels done in carbon wrap with the stainless bits from Thor and air con knobs etc.

At the end of the day it's like fashion mate, not everyone likes the same thing but as long as it appeals to you that's fine IMO.

If we all copied one approach the interiors would be boring!!! :rolleyes::D:d

Good point with regards to a digi cam and flash, hopefully you get some decent light to take the picture with the DLSR. :)

I thought flocking was first (or mainly) used on rally car dashboards, to stop the sun reflecting off and dazzling the driver. I thought the whole point of it was for it not to be reflective? I find it a little odd that it can come out shiny :blink:

I like the idea of a nicely covered and stitched black leather main dash, with nice stitching to match other colours in the car, with alcantara dash panels in dark grey or similar. I've never seen this, but it looks good in my head.

In the February Banzai, there's a nice Impreza with a grey alcantara dash.