The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where have you put your egt probe

mikeyh

i need to fit one of these but not sure where to put it before the turbo or after it i know some members have them in cylinder 6 of the manifold but im worried of it breaking and going through my turbo:(

will it be ok after the turbo or will i get complete inaccurate readings,where to most of you guys have them fitted?

I have two in the manifold - one at cylinder 6 and one at cylinder 1.

Make sure you get an Inconel probe (mine are both 3mm) and don't scratch it, it dent it or scrape it and then you can fit and forget in the manifold. I've had one in there for 6 years and the other for about 18months.

It won't melt or break if it's a proper Inconel probe, but they are costly. So are turbos!!! It's entirely pointless having an EGT probe after the trubo unless you are measuring operating temps for a secondary O2 sensor after the catalytic converters for development reasons. The turbo(s) act a a huge heat sink and cause massive lag in the temp changes. It MUST be before the turbos, and although going near an individual port will bias readings to those from that particular cylinder, it will give a closer indication of what the in combustion chamber temp readings are, which is what you are really interested in. Engine manufacturers and high end mappers will use a special probe actually WITHIN the combustion chamber, either a special and mega expensive spark plug, or if coolant passages permit, drilled into the chamber from outside. My Mugen engine has such a facility in the heads.

so lets just get this right everything will be ok with me puting one of your sensors in the manifold chris.

has anybody had any issues with there sensor in the manifold?

That's correct, that's where they should be and with the right type of sesnor there's no issue. Inconel ones are even safe on rotary engines which melt stainless ones for fun with their mega EGT's. I have the same Inconel sensors I sell in the manifold of my RB26 (two of them), my race 4-AGE turbo engine (four of them), and in loads of other engines I have built. Worry not :)