The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel grade advise - 99/97/95

mentman

When I got my car, I was told by the garage that if I were to put regular unleaded in it (95ron) would melt the engine as in japan the fuel grade is around 100ron, but if I were forced to just to try and stay below 3500 rpm.

Im cool with that, but is it safer to be using vpower level fuel @ 99ron or is 97ron premium ok?

Alex

Load of rubbish.

95 will not damage the engine

97 will perform a bit better

99 will perform better still

One thing to bear in mind though it 99 is only available from Tesco (I think), and not many of them sell it. Tesco petrol is budget and not as good as better brand Petrol.

I have experienced 2 examples of this, one in an old Nova that was running very badly, always used Tesco petrol and was told to change to a better garage.....2 full tanks of Shell petrol later and all running issues were gone. Second was this month, I thought Tesco petrol would be better by now (nova was years ago) so have been running a new Mini Cooper S on Tesco Unleaded and been having running issues. Again, thought about changing to better petrol, 2 full tanks of Esso petrol later and once again all issues are gone.

So, maybe a 95/97 from a branded garage would be better than 99 from Tesco anyway.

Load of rubbish.

95 will not damage the engine

97 will perform a bit better

99 will perform better still

One thing to bear in mind though it 99 is only available from Tesco (I think), and not many of them sell it. Tesco petrol is budget and not as good as better brand Petrol.

I have experienced 2 examples of this, one in an old Nova that was running very badly, always used Tesco petrol and was told to change to a better garage.....2 full tanks of Shell petrol later and all running issues were gone. Second was this month, I thought Tesco petrol would be better by now (nova was years ago) so have been running a new Mini Cooper S on Tesco Unleaded and been having running issues. Again, thought about changing to better petrol, 2 full tanks of Esso petrol later and once again all issues are gone.

So, maybe a 95/97 from a branded garage would be better than 99 from Tesco anyway.

Indeed. I've been using 95 for ages now, as Tesco 99 is far too expensive, and I've not really noticed any difference in performance, but economy isn't quite as good. IMO.

I run 95 in the uk spec appart from occasionally. Last week I put 99 in from tesco for example. As the ecu had been reset and was running like a dog and the car sat for a while. So gave it a treat.

The jap import mitsi legnum we also have I always use 99/97 but I'm sure it would run fine on 95.

All on tesco and never had issues

The melt engine thing is complete balls. You might get some det if your car is highly modified and not mapped for it (it's a single for example) but if you put 95 in a single mapped for 99 and cane the pants off it your a tool IMO ;)