The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What size restrictor ring for my car specifically?

TheTurtleshead

Car is now almost run in after engine build, so I gave it some gas today, and im hitting the fuel cut! My car is a 95 TT Manual, second decat and a blitz nur spec. Im thinking ill make up a restrictor ring tomorrow, just need to know what size hole to put in it to keep the boost to about 0.8/0.9 bar. Thank You in advance for ur answers!

Edited by TheTurtleshead
Mahhh bad (see edit history)

No doubt some nobend is going to moan this has already been posted, but i'd love a quick answer please, and I couldnt find it from a quick search :)

Car is now almost run in after engine build, so I gave it some gas today, and im hitting the fuel cut! My car is a 95 TT Manual, second decat and a blitz nur spec. Im thinking ill make up a restrictor ring tomorrow, just need to know what size hole to put in it to keep the boost to about 0.8/0.9 bar. Thank You in advance for ur answers!

thats one way to start a post with a question. pretty much as scotty said there is no specific size, try and find a ristrictor ring or ask 1 of the traders. are you running BPU or planning to?

Yo, well it got your attention lol! Well im hoping to run the car pretty close to standard at first, as I dont want to blow up the newly rebuilt engine. Been driving it for a few hundred miles before I even let the second turbo kick in :) Only realised this evening I was hitting thr fuel cut, when I really opened the taps ;) Car is an NA-TT conversion....and my god do the turbos go! Im thinking maybe about 350 BHP is a good number to run at first whilst I get used to it. Forgot to mention im also running a FMIC. So reading around a bit more, If I make up a 2" restrictor ring, would that be a good size to start with? If its different from car to car then, im guessing theres a bit of trial and error involved :)

There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to RR's. Some cars run stock boost levels without one being fitted. Others boost really high, even with one fitted. A lot can depend on what exhaust system is fitted to the car.

Just buy a ring from whifbitz, they're not expensive.

You also have the first cat still fitted, so your boost should be staying pretty low anyway.

It might seem edgy, but that attitude won't get you anywhere on this forum bud. You can probably count anyone knowledgeable out from paying any attention to anything you ask or say from now on.

All thanks to being the type of person you didn't want getting involved in this thread.

Ok, I apologise for that. Ill edit it if I can figure out how. Reason for it was that looking around the forum, when a new member posts a question that has been asked before, quite regularly all they get is, 'Zomfg wtf this has already been asked 1000 times, use the search buttom omg!'. I think if someone had piped up with that last night, I would have cried. Was hunched over the supra for far too long yesterday and its problems are starting to get to me lol, I shall 'moderate' my attitude from now on sir! :)

I shall 'moderate' my attitude from now on sir! :)

Nice one :thumbs:

I read your post last night and because of your first sentence didn't bother replying. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable members on the forum who are very willing to help, but sometimes if a member hasn't made an effort to find the answer, has a bad attitude or doesn't explain their question properly they'll just skip to the next thread.

In answer to your question do you still have the second cat? If you do your easiest option would be to refit it to keep the boost in check until you have all the parts to go BPU.

The second cat was from the car when it was an N/A, I dont have a TT second cat. Are they the same? Ou of interest whats defined as a full BPU? I think all I need is a first decat and a Boost controller now. Maybe an FCD? Or is it ok to just do that Free FCD mod?

The NA and TT 2nd cat is identical.

Click -> BPU

Assuming it is a J-spec you will need:

1st & 2nd decat pipes

Aftermarket exhaust

Restrictor ring

FCD

Boost gauge

Cooler grade plugs

Optional/Recommended

EGT or AFR gauge - recommended

Boost controller - optional

New coil pack connectors - recommended if current ones are in poor condition.

Intercooler - check condition before going BPU, replace first if needed.

Seeeeeee :D

Do you have a boost gauge? The reason I ask is that with the 1st cat in place I'm surprised you are hitting fuel cut, just want to see what boost you are running. Are you sure there is no type of boost control on there? I would have a look over the Vac lines etc to make sure that everything is connected up as it should be.

In addition to what Nic listed, I would add a fuel pump. I think the stock jspec pump can just about handle the top end of BPU but it is always better to have some headroom with a walbro.

In addition to what Nic listed, I would add a fuel pump. I think the stock jspec pump can just about handle the top end of BPU but it is always better to have some headroom with a walbro.

:yeahthat: forgot the fuel pump, also worth fitting new fuel filter at the same time if not been changed for a while.

Ok, I think I should detail all the issue im having thoroughly :) car wont boost past 0.5 bar in second gear. after changing to third it boosts all the way to about 1.2 bar( max I have seen on the gauge). Sometimes the fuel cut comes in as I go over 1 bar. Sometimes it doesnt. Car is behaving very weirdly if you ask me. It is also idling high, and inconsistently. I have error code 31, air flow sensor. Is there an air flow sensor on a turbo car? Seems to just be problem after problem :(

Ok, I think I should detail all the issue im having thoroughly :) car wont boost past 0.5 bar in second gear. after changing to third it boosts all the way to about 1.2 bar( max I have seen on the gauge). Sometimes the fuel cut comes in as I go over 1 bar. Sometimes it doesnt. Car is behaving very weirdly if you ask me. It is also idling high, and inconsistently. I have error code 31, air flow sensor. Is there an air flow sensor on a turbo car? Seems to just be problem after problem :(

Who did the transplant and what bits were supplied? I'm not sure on all the codes but the reason I was asking is that it may be a UK spec ECU? If that was the case a MAF is required.

The fact that you are seeing 0.5bar in 2nd is quite strange. Do you not get the rush of the 2nd turbo?

I would advise paying one of the traders on here a visit, to give the car a proper look over. It might cost you a few quid (It won't be 100s unless something is seriously wrong) but IMO it would be well worth getting someone who knows what they are doing to get their hands on it.