The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knocking from Rear

SamuraiFlash

I've recently had my wheel's laser aligned and this knocking started since then, i've taken the car back to the garage and they had a look over and couldn't spot anyting obvious.

Apparently re-torquing of the subframe bolts is a service item. I think it has to be done with the wheels on the ground.

I have read in posts that they can appear and feel tight but are way off when torqued.

I.m sure a more techie member can advise you of the correct settings.

• 5 months later...

Thread revival but would a garage installing a new shock to the rear N/S touch anything to do with subframe bolts?

I had my rear N/S shock replaced with a 2nd hand shock, and now I am hearing what sounds like a knocking from that area. Ive checked that its nothing rolling around in the boot, or that anything has been dropped down the side between the boot and the rear quarter panel..

Seems to be a sound as if something is bouncing around when driving normally, turning, going over bumps etc but just from that corner.

Ill have a go at checking that. I have had a look under it, everything looks intact, but then again I dont know what to look for specifically. Would it be obvious if this was disconnected, or are there any other symptoms I would notice?

It seems to handle same as always, its just this knocking / vibration sound is causing some concern.

Going to take it back in to the garage on Friday I think, as the knocking appears to be getting worse. Would I need to do a wheel alignment after having a replacement shock installed? Really not sure if the sounds coming from the shock or something else. If the garage cant fix it ill start a separate thread and list the problems to try and find its cause.