The mkiv Supra Owners Club

All you hammerite painted car owners

jackso11

I have just bought a crappy old honda civic LSi as a run about and have been toying with the idea of satin black painting it. Found a few videos of people who have done it with hammerite in a compressor (thinned down) rather than loads and loads of cans of spray. Looks very good in the end, but on a very quick search I found hammerite is not petrol resistant in the slightest. So what happens when you go to the petrol station guys? if you get a drop on the car the paint comes off?

I didn't use Hammerite, I used this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chassis-Paint-Satin-Black-5-Ltr-/320638988255?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item4aa792afdf

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Industrial-Xylene-Thinner-5Ltr-/320638988224?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4aa792afc0

Liked the finish but the thinners seemed quite aggressive and evil stuff and I had a nice tan afterwards, the the guy said if I used this thinners I would get the satin finnish I wanted and its true. I had a reaction problem with the boot and did it again using some cellulose thinners I had and it has more of a matt finish and shows all the watermarks, whereas the rest of the car doesnt.

Few more pics in my garage.

Wouldnt even consider rattle cans after using this stuff and a cheapie Screwfix special compressor.

Edited by Shane
pic added (see edit history)