The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stuck on the A45 with a very hot supra!!

TheTurtleshead

Thought id take the sup on a nice long run over to bicester village near oxford, as part of its running in :) long story short, its a newly converted NA/TT, and I fitted a front mount with an NA radiator. Ran perfectly up until now, but now im kicking myself for not upgrading that rad :( Hope its ok, shut it off pretty quickly and stopped. Bugger it.

I would be VERY surprised if the N/A rad wasn't up to the job of cruising around in a TT. Granted it would probably overheat if you were caning it everywhere but I can't see that being the root of your problems.

First thing to check is the coolant level, at the same time (as above) check the rad cap is in fine fettle. Next port of call would be airlocks & blockages, easily sorted by sitting on a hill and allowing the coolant to warm up to temp... give the pipes a squeeze and watch for bubbles etc. Next in line would be the thermostat, if the thermostat doesn't open then it will keep all the warm coolant in the engine, overheating it. Last but not least would be the water pump, if that is caned the water won't flow through the rad.

I don't have any experience from the last 2 but in my head I imagine that if either were the case the radiator wouldn't be blistering hot, if the rad IS blistering hot then I would be looking to the other remedies.

Yerp it is red, were you in a supra?! Had to call the AA out in the end. He bled the system properly, and im lucky I spotted it quickly, as I have done no damage to the car. Managed to nurse it home at a solid 50 :) I have a brand new TT rad turning up in the morning. So that should cure it. It only overheated when tonking along at about 90, it had been fine before that.

Yerp it is red, were you in a supra?! Had to call the AA out in the end. He bled the system properly, and im lucky I spotted it quickly, as I have done no damage to the car. Managed to nurse it home at a solid 50 :) I have a brand new TT rad turning up in the morning. So that should cure it. It only overheated when tonking along at about 90, it had been fine before that.

I still don't think the issue is the radiator. Hopefully when fitting the TT rad the actual problem can be rectified at the same time though :)