The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie considering a Supra

Guest alcovrugbyfan

Guest alcovrugbyfan

Hi All!!

Just registered to find out a little more info about these cars.

I'm thinking of changing my 325BHP Volvo S80 for a Supra. I was looking at maybe going for a mitsu GTO but the insurance is double that of the Supra!!!

Just wondering what sort of thing I should look out for?

I've never had this type of motor before so it's a step into the unknown for me.

Budget will probably be up to 4500 to start with, and mod as time and funds allow going forward.

Thanks All

Alan

Hi All!!

Just registered to find out a little more info about these cars.

I'm thinking of changing my 325BHP Volvo S80 for a Supra. I was looking at maybe going for a mitsu GTO but the insurance is double that of the Supra!!!

Just wondering what sort of thing I should look out for?

I've never had this type of motor before so it's a step into the unknown for me.

Budget will probably be up to 4500 to start with, and mod as time and funds allow going forward.

Thanks All

Alan

If you drive a 325bhp car now, you'll have to go for the twin turbo model. If you go for the NA then that has about 200bhp whereas the TT has 326bhp.

If you buy an NA, you won't be able to get more power out of it without spending a lot of money. If you go for a TT you can "up" the power quite easily. The automatic 'box can handle about 500bhp tops but the 6 speed manual gearbox can handle pretty much whatever you throw at it.

Oh, and welcome ;)

:welcome:

Agree power wise a TT would be a closer match to your Volvo, but with the budget you have mentioned, it would be an auto and probably in need of some work. The GTO is a good looking car IMO, but the running costs can be huge from speaking to a chap I know who had one. The Supra is more robust but as with all performance cars, the key is frequent servicing. Forum owned cars are generally better cared for but even they can be abused so I'd recommend finding someone on here local to you to take a look at any potential candidates. If you are handy with the spanners yourself, you may be ok going solo but another opinion is never a bad thing.

Lastly, take your time and don't be tempted to go for the first one you look at, most of us have done it because of the excitement clouding our judgement, sometimes it works out ok but other times you end up with a lemon! ;)

I'd go Supra over GTO everytime though! :thumbs: best of luck and any questions, fire away as we're here to help fella.

Pete :)