The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

Thought I'd update this a little.

I've almost finished putting together johnnys fuel system. I've got a local hydraulics company that do me great deals on braided PTFE lines.

The setup is consisting of:-

Hybrid Bosch 044 pump (Johnny will be able to supply more info on this),

Modified stock fuel hanger,

Stock fuel rail modded for duel feed and a FPR port (still to be powder coated),

-8AN feed line to filter,

Split to twin -6AN to each end of the rail,

-6AN return line.

Only the FPR line to sort, but I can't size those up until everything is on the car.

Here's a get pics of what I've done with the pump hanger, the rail and the lines I've supplied.

First I milled the beveled end off the side of the rail.

I drilled and tapped out the side of the rail and the FPR port, as screwed some -6AN to m12x1.25 fittings in.

To make sure there would be no leaks what so ever I had them welded in and then blended the weld into the rail, so when it's powder coated you can't tell they have Been added.

Next came the pump. I cut off the boss for the feed on top of the hanger aswell as the pipe for the return.

I then turned 2 bosses, drilling and tapping them out to 3/4UNF and 9/16UNF. I bored the holes out on top of the hanger to 15mm for return and 19mm for the feed and had the bosses welded on, and screwed the fitting in with rubber O-rings.

I then cleaned and polished up the top of the hanger to make it presentable. I know you can't see it when it's in the car but I knew it was untidy lol.

Next came fitting the pump.

I cut off the 90 degree part on the bottom of the hanger as this deplocted where the pimp needed to sit. I then attached the pump with a mikalor clamp yo hold it in place and off to the hydraulics place to have a braided line made up to join the fitting to the pump and hey presto. Nice tidy instalation.

Fuel lines made up with silver crimped ends.

More to come soon.

Would a Moderator mind moving this to the projects section please.

Thanks

John

001_Rail.jpg

002_Rail.jpg

003_RailEnd.jpg

004_Holder.jpg

005_Holder.jpg

006_Pump.jpg

007_Fittings.jpg

008_Hose.jpg

009_AllFuel.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Is the head still being changed an all mate? not be easier to just pull the engine out complete?

My garage is very small and I didn't want to pull the engine and have to push the car outside as I did on mine. I'll be lifting the turbos off with the head and fitting the new head with the big twins already attached just to make life easier though.

I really need to look into a bigger garage.

Got in from work at 5.30am this morning. I was determined to get this stripped down before I had to leave for work again at 3pm, so no sleep for me today.

I've ended up with a nice little pile of bits that arnt being used again in the build.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128181&d=1299869585

By 1pm the car looked like this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128182&d=1299869585

attachment.php?attachmentid=128183&d=1299869585

attachment.php?attachmentid=128184&d=1299869585

attachment.php?attachmentid=128185&d=1299869585

Tomorrow I want the crank pulley off, fuel pump in and a greddy rear strut bar fitted.

More updated tomorrow.

Day3_001.jpg

Day3_002.jpg

Day3_003.jpg

Day3_004.jpg

Day3_005.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

I just don't want it to become 1 of those builds that drags on for months and months. Me an Johnny have planned this for a while now so give or take a few parts and a bit of creative flare things should just bolt together. In theory lol.

Just use a rachet Scotty, old school FTW.

I already have the impact gun now anyway (bought it for a mutlitude of sins). I also have one of those pulley wheel removal tool things (big bar type thing).

It was basically after reading a few threads on here with people struggling to remove the fecker with a 6ft breaker bar. Looking at the manual it says it should be on with 250ish lbs of torque, which for all intents and purposes isn't THAT much. This has lead me to believe that either the thing often ends up siezed or that people are using impact guns to fit the bolts. Nothing better than an impact wrench for removing a siezed bolt.

Read a horror story about the front end of the car lifting doing the starter cheat. I'm guessing they used to small a breaker :D

I already have the impact gun now anyway (bought it for a mutlitude of sins). I also have one of those pulley wheel removal tool things (big bar type thing).

It was basically after reading a few threads on here with people struggling to remove the fecker with a 6ft breaker bar. Looking at the manual it says it should be on with 250ish lbs of torque, which for all intents and purposes isn't THAT much. This has lead me to believe that either the thing often ends up siezed or that people are using impact guns to fit the bolts. Nothing better than an impact wrench for removing a siezed bolt.

Read a horror story about the front end of the car lifting doing the starter cheat. I'm guessing they used to small a breaker :D

What do you mean by the starter cheat.