The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn headlight seals!

neo2810

Chaps, looks like my light refurb yesterday was not the success I initially thought it to be. I've now got condensation in both lights. At least the spraying is done, I just need to now strip them, clean off the old sealant, and reseal.

My question is, what is the best stuff to seal the lights back up with? And I assume it's just a case of filling the little duct around the casing and squashing the lens back into it (nowhere else needs sealing)?

Just had the exact same problem. Have taken one back out and resealed and it seems ok. My suggestions are 1) Be very liberal with the sealant! 2) Once you've smooshed the lights back together, put some more sealant on a blunt knife/bit of kitchen roll to smooth all the way round the edges of the light to make it watertight, you might not even need more sealant in places as you'll have a bit of overspill from pressing the lights together 3) Leave AT LEAST 24 hours for the sealant to harden before reinstalling them.

I used Unibond all purpose black sealant, scraped off as much of the old sealant as possible too.

hth

Cheers Rick,

It looks now like only my left light is an issue (condensation on the right light appears to have been on the outside only), and this started happening a few days before I did the refurb on that light so I'm thinking that maybe it's not the seal around the lights, but the bulb holders?

Is it common for the seal around the bulb holes to start going, and can you buy and fit new seals easily or is there an easy fix?

Just FYI, the lights aren't sealed so don't worry about bulb holders etc. If you look at the back of the lights you will see little rubber "U" bends, those are to allow the lights to breathe.

You will probably find that your lights are in fact sealed just fine up the front, make sure that the breather pipes are free and able to do their job then take the light inside and let the condensation inside dry out. It could be damp/moist from when you did the refurb and that is what is now condensating.

HTH

Just FYI, the lights aren't sealed so don't worry about bulb holders etc. If you look at the back of the lights you will see little rubber "U" bends, those are to allow the lights to breathe.

You will probably find that your lights are in fact sealed just fine up the front, make sure that the breather pipes are free and able to do their job then take the light inside and let the condensation inside dry out. It could be damp/moist from when you did the refurb and that is what is now condensating.

HTH

Yup, that makes sense... In fact, I took the breather pipes off and I'm pretty sure I didn't put them back on the left light. They are either still sitting in the battery area where I left them, or lying on a road somewhere :S

Anyone got spare breather pipes :D

In my case, the drivers side definitely wasn't sealed, as within a day of hard rain about a pint of water gushed out of it when I took it out :D

I'm still going to take the other one out as there are little droplets forming around a particular area rather than a fine mist.