The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley de-lamination

Supra_Scott

While out last night for a drive in my Supra i had a bit of a surprise. While going round an island at 30mph i heard a noise of which i can only describe as what sounded like a house brick bouncing underneath the chassis of my car. I pulled over expecting the worst like a wheel hanging off or something, but all seemed ok. I took a look at the island to find the outer ring of my crank pulley in the middle of the road. The crank pulley had de-laminated and the outer (aux belt drive) came off.

Thinking about it in recent weeks there has been a bit of belt squeal on start up which went after a few seconds, and also squeal when maneuvering i.e. parking the car. I dismissed it due to the weather etc but realistically it was an early warning. It could have been a lot worse I know. My 1995 NA has 120,000miles on the clock and has been NA-T for the past 18months/8,000miles.

I urge anyone who hears similar noises under the bonnet or has high mileage to get this checked out as it could be very costly. One of the lads on the Lexus forum found out the hard way as the pulley took out the PAS and Air Con pumps too.

Edited by Supra_Scott (see edit history)

If someone can get a pic up of where to tipex, I'll do this tomorrow :)

Edit: In the explanation of the crank pulley (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35945-Crankshaft-Pulley-Damper) there's a pic of it. So it's just a line of tippex across the diameter of it?

Is the crank pulley the blue wheel or the one to the top left? Can't really see by the positioning of the arrow :)

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

If someone can get a pic up of where to tipex, I'll do this tomorrow :)

Edit: In the explanation of the crank pulley (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35945-Crankshaft-Pulley-Damper) there's a pic of it. So it's just a line of tippex across the diameter of it?

Is the crank pulley the blue wheel or the one to the top left? Can't really see by the positioning of the arrow :)

It's the blue one, it's the bottom centre pulley and just tipex across the diameter and then look at it every so often to make sure the line hasn't become disjointed.

However, I would recommend changing these after every 60,000 to be on the safe side, so if yours hasn't been done yet, it might be an idea to have it changed.

It's the blue one, it's the bottom centre pulley and just tipex across the diameter and then look at it every so often to make sure the line hasn't become disjointed.

However, I would recommend changing these after every 60,000 to be on the safe side, so if yours hasn't been done yet, it might be an idea to have it changed.

Cool, well the car's done 78,000 miles now. I'll have a good look through the history I got with the car and see if I can find a receipt for it, if not I'll get it done :)

Thanks!

now that you mention squeel during parking and such i've got that!!! i was thinkin that sucks... nice car and then scrreeechhh!!! destroys the car in my eyes. i just checked the belt tensions and thought no more of it!think i'll check again! Now where's that tipex??

Anyone know how much a new standard crank pully is? Not technical enough to know the names of them all but seems to be the one to the right of the crank pully that makes the noise on mine, bit of WD40 and it goes away, something must be causing it though.

IIRC, about £240. A lot... for a bit of metal.

If it gets bad enough, you can actually rock the pulley with your bare hands.