The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lsd's in the snow question

Blackie

Mine was pish in the snow 2x winters back - TRD LSD but I did also have a hi stall that didn't particularly help matters.

Best advice is go for some snow tyres, a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's or similar would make the Supra drive just fine in the snow:

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/passenger_tires/blizzak/index.html

A Supra I imported had a set of those on, was from the snowy region of Japan. The speed rating on them was like 112mph so they failed the SVA test as being incorrect for the car - I just thought the JDM owner was on something and had fitted the wrong tyres, not realising they served a purpose. Had to replace them with a set of regular tyres.

Lol, I wouldn't even consider it up your road, LSD or not. Your crazy.:-)

Last year we dug ourselfs out all the way up to the road, This year i have been stock pileing grit :D Cheers for the answers chaps, Dont think i will be risking it though, Just a thought i had

Get a 3rd car mate, thats what we are in the process of doing, Supra will be a weekend/summer toy, with the way fuel prices are going and the recent snowy/icey winters it's the only option

Proberbly end up with a Ford Ka funnily

i have a Hilux surf lined up cheap but got to pay for the convertion first sadly :(

In the N/A I have a fancy 1.5 way diff, which properly locks together, which causes down hill in snow to be errrrrr interesting, as the back wheels seem to lock together and the back end slides out, however, after 5 mins, I realised if I gave a slight amount of throttle things got fun, by the end of the night I was drifting my way back home as no other cars seemed to dare be out on the un gritted roads at 2am, it was like one massive private track :D

Tyre tread pattern, tyre width and tyre profile make far more difference. If you had a set of 7 inch rims with proper winter pattern tyres on of very modest size the things would be different animals. Give me a 50's or 60's car on snow any day. Citroen 2CV on snow tyres = snow nirvana.

As above but can't say i'd swap my Landcruiser for a 2CV though :D

Every time I pulled into a fuel station I'd be seriously considering it ;)

You have a valid point Chris, it was £105 to fill it last time and thats gone in 500 miles but i convince myself thats good because my 4.2 TDi Landcruiser was way worse on fuel :D

I managed early last year on summer tyres (in an Auto TT with Torsen) but I did resign myself to taking a few days off work as it was rather dangerous. I decided to try winter tyres at the end of last year and switched to Nokian WR G2's (235/45 all round) - much more confidence on the snow and no problem at all with the large hills we have around here, you just have to be aware of everyone else running summer tyres.

I have Winter Tyres(Hankook W300 235/40 18) on mine and to be honest i've had no Problem with getting stuck, sliding around, oversteering or other bad things whereas the Summer ones are at least to say HORRIBLE in snowy conditions. Didn't even manage to get out of the Garage with them on... :blink:

Also did about 400miles one way in the winter chaos before Christmas and all went very smooth and nice. :)

So my advice would be to try a set of Winter tires and try the Supra again in the snow it is a big difference ;)

225/50/17 and 245/45/17 winter tyres on mine worked very well on solid snow and ice and even better on softer snow. I was without my run around for a couple of weeks during our last cold spell so i had to use the supe and I'm very happy i had the winter tyres as they transformed the car compared to my Eagle F1's and Rossos.

I do remember a post by Thorin a little while back where he said that his Falken 452s were excellent on snow and ice so maybe they'd be a better compromise than true winter tyres. It might be worth a pm to him to ask how bad the conditions were when he was using them - i certainly couldn't make any progress with my normal tyres! Personally I'd go with a true winter tyre where the compound is specifically engineered for grip at very low temperatures.

I drive in the snow and ice every year, with Falken 452's in 275's... they cope perfectly fine, no worse than any rear wheel drive car, you just have to be careful and considered in your driving, and plan ahead so you can keep momentum up.

That said, we don't have any big hills around here.