The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 Twin Turbo Project

Ryan.G

V8 Twin Turbo Project

Very stripped back write up but more to come

As its winter again and my work load drops from stupid to sensiable I always like to have a project which can keep my busy on the days off. Now at Christmas I moved into a nice new property with my Girlfriend and at the end of the garden it happened to have a nice big workshop :D so to make proper use of it I set out to find a nice cheap black n/a. After a few days searching I came across a poor n/a which was very cheap but needed the exterior totally redoing!.

Unfortuantly I didn’t get a pic of it as after 2 days of owning I took it over to Autotec2004 to get a blow over and put it back to standard exterior. Here it is all dressed for its appointment with Steve@autotec.

Put a stock bumper back on it, removed the skirt and spats and got hold of some GS300 Sport 18” wheels to go with it. Just as my first supra looked and I loved it.

The wheels are off being refurbished at the moment but will get some pics of the exterior of the car when I get them back.

Sorted the interior out with new black carpet and headlining and also sprayed the dash piano black and picked some leather seats of ebay which I made some custom subframes for with my new welder which I seemed to have picked up well as got the welds looking pretty good now.

Now to the best bit!

I brought a 1uzfe engine of konrad on here and Tony and Myself set of to pick it up and get it in the trusty passat.

I stripped it down and leakdown tested it to make sure it was all good and spoke to Eric @ TTC performance about adapting it to mate with the v160. He sold me some cracking adaptor plate and I am currently sourcing a supplier of 1uzfe to v160 flywheels.

Now I remembered I had some turbos which would go with this engine a treat.

Anyone guess what they are from this pic?

As I was getting good with the welder I made some manifolds up last week and im just finishing of the wastegate and downpipe plumbing this weekend.

Here is a test fit…. Ignore all the loom at the moment its being stripped back and linked to a syvecs s6.

Will get some more pics next week and hopefully get my SLR fixed soon so I can get some good pics again!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to see you making real use from this engine :)

Got another one yesterday for £175! Spare for if this one goes pop :D

But seeing as Fearless's 1UZ with a T78 and a Syvecs is running 1.3bar now and has done 10 laps of the ring, llandow and more abuse im feeling abit more confident about what the 1uz will do. Has to be the right 1UZ tho ;) One has a much better bottom end as standard..

So is this going to be the 'fast road' project, while keeping the race car?

Well when its all done i want to weigh both the engines and if the 1uz holds up well to my testing then i will put that in the White track car.

Im told the 1uz is 78kg lighter than a 2jz. 1uz has alloy block with iron liners

Variable vane turbos?

:thumbs:

They are sexual!

Roughly able to flow 350bhp each im told but i would be happy with 500bhp and 600+ftlb

Should make full boost around 2000rpm :D Will have to run about 3degrees of timing with an 11:1 compression ratio!

Think Meth is definatly going to be needed with this car.

Ryan

What's the engine out of Ryan, and how does it sit in relation to the stock engine mounting holes on the subframe. I assume your having to make custom engine mounts and brackets.
The Soarer and the Supra use the same crossmember, and the factory put the 1UZ in the Soarer, so...