The mkiv Supra Owners Club

harness questions

ripped_fear

Right so I will try my best to describe this as best as I can.

basically I want to install a set of 3 point harnesses to my seat in the supra. I have electric, leather, non facelift front seats, and really want to mount them to these rather than have buckets.

Similar to the set up on the fnf supra... (waiting for the abuse :p)

would it be legal/safe to feed the strap at the back between the head rest, and the back of the seat rather than putting a whole in to the seats them selves, and then mount the rear of the harness to the car like this? if so where would be the best place to mount the fixings to the car? any ideas?

Thanks...

I think the best way to mount harnesses is at an angle no more than 10 degrees. So in theory there is no other way than to either have a roll cage or to have a rear strut bar.. If I remember correct then they are fine for going through the headrest part. I'm sure mine had them when I first saw the car!

Not sure what you're trying to do for your description, but harnesses NEED to pass over a harness bar or cage after the seat to maintain the correct angle and prevent you crushing your spine in a crash. When you fit harnesses you need to be aware of the impact, IMHO I would not run harnesses now without a cage, and you need to consider the potential for dmamaging your neck in a crash (hence the use of hans type devices and the use of a helmet). It really is a do it all or nothing situation as far as I'm concerned, and since I don't want to drive around with a crash helmet on I'll take my chances in the car as toyota designed it, ie OEM seatbelts