The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cusco master brake stopper - underwhelmed

downimpact

Fitted the cusco master brake stopper and went out to feel the improvement, was very disappointed didn't seem to make much difference :(

I didn't have the instructions when fitting but wondered if there was any procedure to ensure it's as tight as it should be against the master cylinder. Currently it's as tight as possible using an allen key, should I be doing something more?

I've driven a dc2 before where the brakes were excellent, small pedal movement and really firm. Mine currently have lots of travel, though have a fair amount of pad left. Any ideas?

Current spec:

j-spec brakes

do luck braided lines

cw race pads

Did you get someone to press the brake when you were watching the master cylinder (before you fitted it)? That will show you the amount of movement (or lack of) you are trying feel with your foot

No helpers about, so not sure, wonder if I have it tight enough. Might have a look tomorrow with a helper and see if it flexes with the brace installed.

Fluids only been changed a couple of months ago and I had the same pedal travel before the last fluid change. I'll see how much flex there is in the master cylinder, maybe bigger brakes are the only way to go now.

The size of the brakes isn't what is causing the issues with your pedal though bud. You can't just throw parts at an issue and expect it to go away ;)

The first thing I would do is give the brakes a good bleed, regardless of when they were done that is what it is pointing to. Did you do the fluid change yourself?

Next thing I would be looking at would be the calipers themselves, refurbishing the calipers makes a night and day difference to them :)

The size of the brakes isn't what is causing the issues with your pedal though bud. You can't just throw parts at an issue and expect it to go away ;)

The first thing I would do is give the brakes a good bleed, regardless of when they were done that is what it is pointing to. Did you do the fluid change yourself?

Next thing I would be looking at would be the calipers themselves, refurbishing the calipers makes a night and day difference to them :)

CW did the last fluid change, checked the brakes and did some greasing under 400 miles ago. The pedal travel hasn't changed before or after the fluid change. I think I'm over stating the travel it's no different to other cars, was just hoping that bracing the master cyclinder would improve the pedal firmness significantly.

CW did the last fluid change, checked the brakes and did some greasing under 400 miles ago. The pedal travel hasn't changed before or after the fluid change. I think I'm over stating the travel it's no different to other cars, was just hoping that bracing the master cyclinder would improve the pedal firmness significantly.

Ahh, no. Just FYI UKs won't help either, pedal feel can be a little numb. Major upgrade required :)

Braided lines?

As already said the BMC brace will help under medium to heavy braking, it takes less effort get the ABS to kick in. It doesn't make a huge difference to pedal feel but I definitely noticed an improvement when I fitted mine, although that was with the larger brakes.

The brace shouldn't be moving I would have thought. Surely it is mounted solid onto the strut?

Yes it seems a solid mount right up until depressing the brake pedal, don't want to over tighten the bolts and hence break it.

All bolts are tighten as far as possible and it's connected by all 3 positions.

I believe the brakes are set to be a progressive feel, so a little pressure gets a little speed off and tramping on 'em gets the job done properly.

I have all of those mods, fitted by professionals, and was equally underwhelmed by the difference in feel compared to say a brand new hire Mondeo say., but the performance has gone up. It just doesn't shout out "I'm better".

I believe the brakes are set to be a progressive feel, so a little pressure gets a little speed off and tramping on 'em gets the job done properly.

I have all of those mods, fitted by professionals, and was equally underwhelmed by the difference in feel compared to say a brand new hire Mondeo say., but the performance has gone up. It just doesn't shout out "I'm better".

Exactly how I feel with the UKs. They don't fill you full of confidence with their pottering bite, but if you stamp on them at 100+ you need to watch your teeth on the steering wheel lol.

Exactly how I feel with the UKs. They don't fill you full of confidence with their pottering bite, but if you stamp on them at 100+ you need to watch your teeth on the steering wheel lol.

:( Not quite J Spec then. :D Lovely set of Kads on fleabay for 1500 earlier, I was tempted but they were 6 pot front and back and I wondered about the bias. Brake upgrades aren't bleedin' cheap are they?. :( Who the heck thought of putting small brakes on a 1.5 ton car because the speed was restricted? I could throttle that individual. :D