The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight ?Need Help

chazuk

Hey ppl ,,

Just taken my headlight apart the inside is fine it is the outer edge I have tried loads of cleaning product's to get it to come up nice . It's almost like overspray from paint but it is not the bottom of the headlight is covered in it,, ill take a pic later but what I want to know is there any where I can buy just the cover or do I have to go buy a whole uint costing ££..

Cheers

Charles

Same as Lee said, I'd try different solvents and see if anything will disolve it. Things to try; Celulose Thinners, Acetone (Nail Varnish Remover), White Spirit, Meths, Lighter Fluid. Test them on a very small area first to make sure they don't do anything nasty to the plastic though. If that doesn't work it's time to get the sandpaper out.

Get some 100 grit wet an dry some 200 and some 500. rub the crap off with the 100 (don't be too vigurous and don't allow a grit build up under the paper as you will put scores in the plastic that will take ages to cut out). after the 500 grit proceed to a decent plastic polish and bob will be your dads brother. A micro-mesh plastic polish kit is ideal but a bit expensive (several hundred quid lol). You can't beat varying levels of abrasion.

I tried 1200 wet and dry and it made the plastic go dull and scratched , I suppose if you had the right polishing compand you might be able to polish it back up ..

A friend saw that white stuff over the lights and said its the wax they spray over the car when it is shipped over and the sun has burnt it on the lights ..

Originally posted by chazuk

A friend saw that white stuff over the lights and said its the wax they spray over the car when it is shipped over and the sun has burnt it on the lights ..

I wouldn't have thought so, looks more like overspray of primer to me ?

Paul

Yea that's is what I thought at first but it isnt have to see it really to see that it is not , and my friend imported a intergra type r and he said the same stuff and been cooked on his light's ,, he bought new light's in the end so how much are supra light's brand new then ?..

I got them from a Lexus dealer. Here's the part numbers and prices :

Glass Headlights with no bulbs

81170-1b210 £127.71 +VAT

81130-1b210 £127.71 +VAT

I got 10% off those prices because I ordered them at the same time as SimonB's alloys :D