The mkiv Supra Owners Club

scottish monster attack track day

supratoy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to go into to much depth but if your cars not modified to go faster safely with good quality parts and instead used cheap bits becasue thats all you could get your hands on etc

Would expect at least clean bodywork, uprated chassis e.g (brakes, suspension-set-up properly, tyres) Im sure you get the just of it.

also could you point out which car in the video is badly modified as all the cars in the video have had lots of performance upgrades?

cheers

Edited by supratoy (see edit history)

Not to go into to much depth but if your cars not modified to go faster safely with good quality parts and instead used cheap bits becasue thats all you could get your hands on etc

Would expect at least clean bodywork, uprated chassis e.g (brakes, suspension-set-up properly, tyres) Im sure you get the just of it.

also could you point out which car in the video is badly modified as all the cars in the video have had lots of performance upgrades?

cheers

The ridiculous shark fins on old civics

The rear bumper splitter that is falling off the jordan civic (might not be jordan but it's yellow with baby blue bits "attached")

Just a couple of first class high standard mods right there.

I think I also spotted a yaris at one point, with what looked like some engine paint and a couple of hoses?

It's all in the eye of the beholder of course but to come on here saying that cheap mods won't be tolerated as if the cars won't be up to scratch compared to the CTRs, ITRs and intergalactic EVOs on show in that video is very pretentious.It looks like a Honda day out, other than the odd Evo, Scooby and Yaris (if that is what I saw). To class the old CTRs as high quality modified "Monster" cars is just ridiculous IMO.

No chassis mods no entry? Mental IMO :blink:

Gotta say, seems a bit strange viney. A J-Spec with standard JDM suspension and the larger brakes would corner better and outbrake most of the stuff mentioned at a dry Knockhill IMO :confused:

It's a track similar to a backroad so suspension compliance is a good thing there IMO and it's well documented that the OEM larger brakes give better stopping power than much of the aftermarket 'upgrade' stuff.

Nice idea for a session though. All the Honda ricer stuff would be fodder for a Supra TT, other than the more serious Honda enthusiast driving an NSX or having adopted forced induction.

Cheers,

Brian.

The ridiculous shark fins on old civics

The rear bumper splitter that is falling off the jordan civic (might not be jordan but it's yellow with baby blue bits "attached")

Just a couple of first class high standard mods right there.

I think I also spotted a yaris at one point, with what looked like some engine paint and a couple of hoses?

It's all in the eye of the beholder of course but to come on here saying that cheap mods won't be tolerated as if the cars won't be up to scratch compared to the CTRs, ITRs and intergalactic EVOs on show in that video is very pretentious.It looks like a Honda day out, other than the odd Evo, Scooby and Yaris (if that is what I saw). To class the old CTRs as high quality modified "Monster" cars is just ridiculous IMO.

No chassis mods no entry? Mental IMO :blink:

Ok maybe Ive not worded it very well, all the cars in the video have been tuned towards PERFORMANCE, non of the cars in the video would have any problems getting away from a stock version of its kind etc so they have been tuned to perform better but not just in a staight line but all round so well modified IMO.

If you thinks thats alot of rubbish, no problem dont come as obviously your not in the same lines as what we wont on the track.

However the shark fins lol are aero blades from SARD a japaness company that produce parts used in race cars, ok these might not make much difference but the main thing is they wont make the car any slower in anyway. That civic has 320 plus hp, fully stripped interior, A048 semi slicks, f+R camber kits, coilovers uprated roll bars, host of mugen and carbon bits, takata harness, just a breif list of parts.

If you think because you have a supra and its better than a tuned civic on track as you feel supra's are much superior cars then thats not the attitude we are looking for either, its not about Ive got a stock evo so thats better than your cilo or my GTR has 20ich rims and loud exhaust so your evo has no chance etc etc

In the end if you think your supra's so much faster or better than the cars on the video, no problem bring it on and see how many cars you hold up or prove your point and toost all the evo's and type r etc on track.

Gotta say, seems a bit strange viney. A J-Spec with standard JDM suspension and the larger brakes would corner better and outbrake most of the stuff mentioned at a dry Knockhill IMO :confused:

It's a track similar to a backroad so suspension compliance is a good thing there IMO and it's well documented that the OEM larger brakes give better stopping power than much of the aftermarket 'upgrade' stuff.

Nice idea for a session though. All the Honda ricer stuff would be fodder for a Supra TT, other than the more serious Honda enthusiast driving an NSX or having adopted forced induction.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hey Brian,

Im not saying a stock supra is not worthy, I had my red supra on KH, bilsteins with uprated spings, uk brakes, cw fast road pads, TRD lsd, good year F1's, yes it was good but after 5laps, brakes started to show overheating, tyres melting, and the suspension was not bad but to soft bottoming out at certain parts of the track. If I had used harder spring rates, better tyres, even better brakes, the car would have been even better and lasted longer before pitting so a stock tt would be ok Im sure but some of the type r's would be right on your tail no problem and still going while your cooling off your brakes etc its a tight track suited to light cars and type'r are probably the only cars Ive seen lasting a whole 2hour session without much rest or problems with anything.

Ok maybe Ive not worded it very well, all the cars in the video have been tuned towards PERFORMANCE, non of the cars in the video would have any problems getting away from a stock version of its kind etc so they have been tuned to perform better but not just in a staight line but all round so well modified IMO.

If you thinks thats alot of rubbish, no problem dont come as obviously your not in the same lines as what we wont on the track.

However the shark fins lol are aero blades from SARD a japaness company that produce parts used in race cars, ok these might not make much difference but the main thing is they wont make the car any slower in anyway. That civic has 320 plus hp, fully stripped interior, A048 semi slicks, f+R camber kits, coilovers uprated roll bars, host of mugen and carbon bits, takata harness, just a breif list of parts.

If you think because you have a supra and its better than a tuned civic on track as you feel supra's are much superior cars then thats not the attitude we are looking for either, its not about Ive got a stock evo so thats better than your cilo or my GTR has 20ich rims and loud exhaust so your evo has no chance etc etc

In the end if you think your supra's so much faster or better than the cars on the video, no problem bring it on and see how many cars you hold up or prove your point and toost all the evo's and type r etc on track.

You're right, you didn't word it well. You are also getting completely the wrong end of the stick from what I wrote. You came on here saying that you only wanted cars to attend that were modified and deemed to be worthy, that is such a disrespectful comment on here that I just felt I had to point it out.... especially when you consider the caliber of the cars that you hold on such high regard. I'm not interested in coming to the day anyway, I just thought you were talking out of turn on this particular forum. If it was a saxo forum, or a Corsa forum then fair enough. How many Supra owners are on this forum that wouldn't fit into the criteria that you are asking? Guys from this very forum get invited to exotica days where most of the cars that you mention and show in the video are strictly banned from.

The facebook page states that the team aren't interested in just high powered cars, they want the mods to be stylish etc. You have just, contrary to that statement, accepted that bits were falling off the Civic but that was ok thanks to the power and chassis mods? Which is it?

As for your last comment to Brian, I think you may find that something was wrong with your car. Bignum on here seemed to manage just fine in all the videos I have seen of him on track racing much higher pedigree cars. A CTR in the hands of a capable driver would be left standing by a Supra TT in the hands of a likewise capable driver. Nothing to do with the cars if you think a CTR will hang off a Supra, even on knockhill. Just have a look at Steve & Paul from the Whifbitz race teams laptimes vs any of the frontwheel drive cars in the time attack series.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

You're right, you didn't word it well. You are also getting completely the wrong end of the stick from what I wrote. You came on here saying that you only wanted cars to attend that were modified and deemed to be worthy, that is such a disrespectful comment on here that I just felt I had to point it out.... especially when you consider the caliber of the cars that you hold on such high regard. I'm not interested in coming to the day anyway, I just thought you were talking out of turn on this particular forum. If it was a saxo forum, or a Corsa forum then fair enough. How many Supra owners are on this forum that wouldn't fit into the criteria that you are asking? Guys from this very forum get invited to exotica days where most of the cars that you mention and show in the video are strictly banned from.

The facebook page states that the team aren't interested in just high powered cars, they want the mods to be stylish etc. You have just, contrary to that statement, accepted that bits were falling off the Civic but that was ok thanks to the power and chassis mods? Which is it?

As for your last comment to Brian, I think you may find that something was wrong with your car. Bignum on here seemed to manage just fine in all the videos I have seen of him on track racing much higher pedigree cars. A CTR in the hands of a capable driver would be left standing by a Supra TT in the hands of a likewise capable driver. Nothing to do with the cars if you think a CTR will hang off a Supra, even on knockhill. Just have a look at Steve & Paul from the Whifbitz race teams laptimes vs any of the frontwheel drive cars in the time attack series.

LOL, bloody hell, so because its a supra forum every supra must be worthy???????? Ive seen a few dodgy ones and just been done to look good etc but dont get me wrong this is not just targeted at supra's, I did this to all the forums I posted on, so if any dodgy cars came they would know they have a chance of being knocked back.

If it was a porsche forums Id still have posted the same thing. I apoligise if you feel I was to being disrespectful but Im not trying to be disrespectful.

I dont know where you got the stylish bit from and not liking high power from either, facebook is more of just a chat page for people so please dont take everything off that to heart, yes alot chase big brand parts but its always performance based parts, short ratio gearboxs, plated lsd's, or bodyparts that have been based on race products in japan etc

The jordan didnt have hanging off parts????????????? it was tape to protect it from getting million of stone chips...........

OMG they are race cars with lots of money spent on them, look at buddyclubs DC5 you think many road going supra can take that on track??????????

Edited by supratoy (see edit history)

yes its not all about the car but Im telling you my supra would get eaten alive by my evo, would have struggles to keep up with the s2k in the video after say 8laps, struggled to corner as fast as the civic's on semi slick etc.

Again sorry if you feel offended as im just covering my back incase some dodgy cars do come.

thanks

Just to add some fuel to it..... ;)

I'd be more worried about driver's ability than the car.... Doesn't matter what car it is, if it goes screaming off a corner across the track, doesn't matter if it is a corsa, a saxo or a gt3 if it connects something it will cause damage.

EDIT : Just watched the vid, I actually enjoyed it, some very clean cars plenty of shine on them and all. BUT your phrasing about 'Not wanting to sound arrogant but no badly modified car will be allowed on track and if you turn up with one you will receive a full refund on the day.' was bound to get a response. :) I still stand by my above comment, and a stock car would give one or two of those cars a run for their money in the right hands.

I do however believe that a row of shark fins isn't going to make a huge amount of difference and I personally wouldn't class that as a performance mod, that said I have known to be wrong before :)

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

I'm fed up now so I'm not going to pick apart your points. However, you can't compare apples with oranges (race spec cars with road going cars), if you are going to compare cars it's either stock v stock, modified v modified or race spec vs race spec.

You asked for no badly modified cars to apply, you need to at least give criteria on what is classed as badly modified... as I have already pointed out we clearly have differing opinions on what is a bad mod. IMO cars that look like they have crashed into halfords look shocking, but some people will think that is nicely modified. IMO very few of the cars on here fall into a "badly modified" bracket, most of the parts for the Supra are very expensive and very well made.... not to mention how well made the original double wishbone suspension with bilstein shocks/springs is. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and that is what I guess your comment was made in relation to.

You are not the best ambassador for interclub relations if you have put that on lots of performance car forums, as I said it sounds very pretentious and as if you are looking down your nose at other car enthusiasts choices.

I'd be more worried about driver's ability than the car.... Doesn't matter what car it is, if it goes screaming off a corner across the track, doesn't matter if it is a corsa, a saxo or a gt3 if it connects something it will cause damage.

EDIT : Just watched the vid, I actually enjoyed it, some very clean cars plenty of shine on them and all. BUT your phrasing about 'Not wanting to sound arrogant but no badly modified car will be allowed on track and if you turn up with one you will receive a full refund on the day.' was bound to get a response. :) I still stand by my above comment, and a stock car would give one or two of those cars a run for their money in the right hands.

I do however believe that a row of shark fins isn't going to make a huge amount of difference and I personally wouldn't class that as a performance mod, that said I have known to be wrong before :)

From what I understand the shark fin thinks are to diffuse the air at very high speeds. This helps keep the weight on the rear of the car to aid with traction for AWD and RWD cars. No use on a fwd car at all.

Guys,

Viney means well - I've met him in person and know he's just into his modded cars and trying to get across the cars he'd like to see at an event he's arranging is always going to be 'sensitive' to some.

I remember shitting all over some ITR's in my lightly modded S13 at KH. They just looked pedestrian and I was cornering substantially faster on a KYB AGX uprated shocks / springs combo. BPU mods otherwise and not a lot of boost as had some issues at the time (as typically you do with any SX lol!). I know in a stock Supra it'd be all too easy to make stock CTR's and ITR's look silly as a result, nevermind a BPU Supra as you'd most likely have because of the easy gains to be had.

Agree on the braking at Knockhill - have melted brakes myself on the same S13 but they were rubbish standard items. Supra larger OEM should hold up well but only with a decent pad / fluid combo. Handling wise, lowering springs just cock up handling without stiffer dampers. Stock JDM suspension would work well, otherwise I'd say a set of HSD's is about as stiff as you'd want to go at KH.

Anyways, no point doing the vs. thing - just some general observations from my own KH experience. Would be good to see this event being a success. Might be up Geo's street if his car's done by then?

Cheers,

Brian.

ill pass on this, it does sound like a fun day. But also sounds like a bunch of arrogant people standing around a track saying my car is better than yours because it has "performance" mods on it, which going by that video is just sharkfins, stickers, some engine bay paint and some sillicone hoses! There alot of cars on here that are tastefully modified and some that is marmite modified (eg veilside. Not meaning to disrespect anyone on here when i say that lol), but that dosnt give you the right to refuse anyone entry to an event like this, makes it sound like your discriminating because of there choice in mods and how they want THERE car to be. At the end of the day, its THERE car not YOURS so wat give you the right to refuse entry? This is just IMO so hopefully you see where its coming from.

like the video, the yellow S2000 looks nice. Looks like a TypeR day though... maybe I should get one, seems you get an asian chick free with every purchase!

yeah i noticed that aswell. dont get me wrong there were some nice cars in that video, but it did just look like a honda day out tbh, with the exeption of an evo, a scooby and a couple of 200sx S14a's

LOL thanks dude, no its ok its a public forum so of course some people will feel sensitive about things. Driver skills well thats what the marshalls on the day will be helping out with, drivers driving way out of there capabilities.

Its a track day not a race so it doesn't matter who is faster in the end of the day.

I'm fed up now so I'm not going to pick apart your points. However, you can't compare apples with oranges (race spec cars with road going cars), if you are going to compare cars it's either stock v stock, modified v modified or race spec vs race spec.

You asked for no badly modified cars to apply, you need to at least give criteria on what is classed as badly modified... as I have already pointed out we clearly have differing opinions on what is a bad mod. IMO cars that look like they have crashed into halfords look shocking, but some people will think that is nicely modified. IMO very few of the cars on here fall into a "badly modified" bracket, most of the parts for the Supra are very expensive and very well made.... not to mention how well made the original double wishbone suspension with bilstein shocks/springs is. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and that is what I guess your comment was made in relation to.

You are not the best ambassador for interclub relations if you have put that on lots of performance car forums, as I said it sounds very pretentious and as if you are looking down your nose at other car enthusiasts choices.

Your the one that started relating to pauls race cars then slating the cars in the video are rubbish or not to the supra world standards. The funny thing is your not even bring your car on so whats its matter anyways. Me sounding arrogant well I did apoligise and I have said Im not trying to sound arrogant and its just a security measure incase people bring a shed of a car with big rims, stock run down old suspension, knackered brakes, rubbish tyres that even surviving a warm up lap you'd be struggling.

Not everyone on track will be experienced fair enough but if you read it.. ITS A FASHION and FUCTION track day, fashion being race bred aero parts fuction being track based performance parts made for the street.

Its a fairly new track event, I dont see why posting on difference forums is a problem as Im trying to gather as much similar minded car enhusiast as possible.

Guys,

Viney means well - I've met him in person and know he's just into his modded cars and trying to get across the cars he'd like to see at an event he's arranging is always going to be 'sensitive' to some.

I remember $#@!ting all over some ITR's in my lightly modded S13 at KH. They just looked pedestrian and I was cornering substantially faster on a KYB AGX uprated shocks / springs combo. BPU mods otherwise and not a lot of boost as had some issues at the time (as typically you do with any SX lol!). I know in a stock Supra it'd be all too easy to make stock CTR's and ITR's look silly as a result, nevermind a BPU Supra as you'd most likely have because of the easy gains to be had.

Agree on the braking at Knockhill - have melted brakes myself on the same S13 but they were rubbish standard items. Supra larger OEM should hold up well but only with a decent pad / fluid combo. Handling wise, lowering springs just cock up handling without stiffer dampers. Stock JDM suspension would work well, otherwise I'd say a set of HSD's is about as stiff as you'd want to go at KH.

Anyways, no point doing the vs. thing - just some general observations from my own KH experience. Would be good to see this event being a success. Might be up Geo's street if his car's done by then?

Cheers,

Brian.

I know some people might feel abit sensitive but I thought most would either just go and enjoy a relaxing track day or this is alot of rubbish NEXT...:)

A well set up bpu supra with good suspension and brakes would be good yes I had one with those parts and know its good and would be very welcome to come if someone came along with one.

I just wanted a type of limitations so its not like your typical hot hatch track day.

cheers

yeah come with geo if his cars ready.

yeah i noticed that aswell. dont get me wrong there were some nice cars in that video, but it did just look like a honda day out tbh, with the exeption of an evo, a scooby and a couple of 200sx S14a's

The reason for that is because most people in the honda scene go towards performance modifications and go track there cars or thats all they can afford to tune up as buying a gtr for talking sake, they propably would have to go for the cheapest parts possible rather than good track based goods.

Why not just get a stock gtr, it will be faster, ITS about tuning too, if everyone thought that then there would be not many modified cars about.

asian chick free, how is that not looking down on people.. there where scottish girls too!!!!

LOL its not a stuck up nose day if you think thats the case then yes please do not attend.

N/A supra are welcome if you have made it perform better than a stock N/A one and keep it in good condition.

Would this pass your 'good enough' test?