The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sideskirt advice?

Eddie-S

I'm wanting to get some OEM sideskirts and it looks like the real things are rare as rocking horse s*%t. So

A - do I hold out and keep looking for original OEM skirts as they are worth waiting for?

or

B - get some of the fibreglass ones available on ebay etc. The main thing putting me off is some of the threads I have see where the 'looky likey' parts, bumpers, skirts etc sometimes don't fit properly?

any advice welcome (especially if you have some genuine OEM'S for sale!?)

Ive had ones off eBay from car.mad.stylings for my old car and the bodyshop said the fit was the best they had seen from fibreglass ones. Others have recommended them 2.

I lucked out and snapped up some genuine oem ones Inc spats in the right colour for my uk spec. Was the same price as fibreglass and then painting so that was nice lol

I'd certainly be looking OEM or Ridx. As previously said, car mad styling do decent oem copies from everyone I know who have had things off them. But certainly try Paul Whiffin on here and his company whifbitz who also do good copies.

Nice looking supra by the way :)

Do the fibre ones fit without blending? I.e. the gaps are consistent and no more than OEM, I'm quite fussy about things like that... I'm in two minds at the moment as my car has some sill dings which would be far more cost effective to cover up with skirts than get repaired.

I have previously had fibre ones on my old Supra which ended up a terrible fit and finish (They were not cheap ones either), they needed blending at the front after a few months cracked. They were also showed a bit of a ripple when looking down the side of the skirt, which ruined the look of the car. In the end I took them off and had some OEM ones fitted which are still on the car 6 years later.

If I'm honest my replicas on my na fitted better arround the sill than my genuine ones but that could be because they were fitted by a pro bodyshop not me and a mate on his driveway at 12 at night in the freezing cold. Lol

And that would be me:D hey bud i also had some oem fibreglass skirts and spats of ebay, perfect fit, use the original screw fittings and double sided tape along the sills, no bolts at the bottom. Can be sprayed with cans and you can get a decent job if you take your time, wet sand the lacuqer and buff it up...seriously youd be suprised. And thy arnt to big either when off the car:)

Thanks for the input and comments about the car (Hoff). It seems there's a bit of division on opinions and that it is a bit of hit and miss with the fibreglass ones (which is what I thought and why I wanted some help). I think I will hold out for some OEM plastic ones as it would drive me mad if they didn't fit right.. Thanks guys and if you hear of any come up think of me!!!