The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Map ECU System

gurnam

Has anyone heard of this type of ECU before?

http://www.mapecu.com/

Apparently it bypasses the airflow meter & maps by speed density, has launch control built in & can control boost with 2 switchable fully programmable settings.

I need my Supra remapping after just having my old tubbys rebuilt into hybrids & no one has come up with a solution for me & I've phoned the regular traders off here over 2 weeks ago who re-assured me they'd get back to me but haven't done so far apart from Paul Whiffin.

Anyway a tuner local to me who was one of the guys that did the fitting and removal of my turbos said he'd easily map it using this Map ECU system which is a piggyback unit for a price that won't break my bank too much compared to others. Said the unit will need to be imported from OZ.

I'm tempted to try it but just thought I'd stick a thread up to see if anyone here has heard of it or is running it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to the tuner again and he's confirmed that the latest version of the MAP ECU software has full adjustability and total control over the ECU parameters.

No one is getting back to me about mapping an AEM FIC or even supplying one apart from Paul Whiffin.

E-Manage piggybacks have been discontinued long ago so that's a no go.

I'm tempted to give this new ECU a try and report my findings back on here as it seems it's not properly caught on yet.

From what i remember from looking into both Map2 and AEM fic they both have no ignition advance, only retard, you can still advance the timing but it requires fudging other signal to achieve it, i much prefer EMU which does have ignition advance, plus a lots of other useful functions besides basic ECU control.

Are the really no longer made? not heard that.

From what i remember from looking into both Map2 and AEM fic they both have no ignition advance, only retard, you can still advance the timing but it requires fudging other signal to achieve it, i much prefer EMU which does have ignition advance, plus a lots of other useful functions besides basic ECU control.

Are the really no longer made? not heard that.

Would you have to advance base-timing and then retard everything and retard some areas less, to simulate advance?

It is official, and is coming to market in mid-February 2007. We have a limited quantity, so let us know before they are sold out. You can read more about it at http://www.mapecu.com as the website has been updated. MAP ECU will still be sold along side MAP ECU 2. The main difference is that MAP ECU 2 adds ignition timing control and some other nifty features that are nice for OBD2 cars. MAP ECU 2 adds dual O2 sensor feedback maps to "trick" the ECU into thinking there is no GT72 under the hood. Turbo, what turbo? There is also a two-step launch control feature, and loads of other things.

Now, a word of advice on MAP ECU 2. The standard MAP ECU is still the bread and butter of the product line, and is perfect for any mildly modified sub-800 WHP Supra application. As most of us know (and has been debated) there is little to no need for ignition timing modifications on Supra's making 600-700 HP at the wheels. However, if you have need for such, MAP ECU 2 can now perform those tasks. We will have a line of plug-and-play harnesses for MAP ECU 2 available in mid-January to complement the release of MAP ECU 2. MSRP is currently set for $695 USD on MAP ECU 2.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe reckons the ignition timing won't need adjusting much if at all.

Would you have to advance base-timing and then retard everything and retard some areas less, to simulate advance?

Thats one way of doing it, there are others that are slightly less risky, should anything go wrong, but i much prefer to be able to advance directly, then if anything goes wrong with the piggyback it will usually revert to std rather than holding the advance and causing meltdown;)

Joe reckons the ignition timing won't need adjusting much if at all.

Kind of depends on the individual setup, don't think i ran my hybrids sequentially, but its certainly needed in parallel. but in any case its a very useful to have direct advance IMO,

Well I'll be getting it mapped in the standard sequential mode so the ignition timing won't need any adjusting at all.

If you say so, personally after mapping several different cars with either PFC and EMB and EMU i would say you will need to change the timing, with hybrid turbos, however its your call, you asked for advice.

Well so far you've been told the E-manages have been discontinued, you won't need ignition timing adjustment, and the MAP ECU can do everything that's required. All of these are misleading to wrong. I hope you are still confident in your choice of mapper :)

Just spoken to Matt and he has not had enquiries about a map ecu at all, he did chat with someone about piggybacks and was going to try and figure out a very different solution using a completly diff ecu either piggybacked or standalone if it was manual, we are still waiting for calls back etc from these other manufacturers. matt no longer wants to fit/reccomend piggybacks etc and definatly will not entertain a Map, he mumbled something about better off using a Sky remote when I said about this thread !!!!!

TBH and just in our opinion only I would wait a bit longer save up the required extra money and go for either an F-Con Pro or Syvecs

Another recommendation here for the HKS F-con Pro. If going piggyback the Emanage Ultimate would be my choice.

I have one fitted to my car running BPU. Was able to wire it in myself and set it up myself. It does allow the you to bypasses the airflow meter & maps by speed density.

Not heard of it doing this but it may well do :-has launch control built in & can control boost with 2 switchable fully programmable settings.

I got mine for £80 which is what i would of paid for a fcd so thought why not. I have not had any issues with mine and it is running as it should.

You can vary the tables etc but would recommend a pro doing it. I just downloaded a supra file from somewhere and away the car went. AFR gauge showed i was running perfect as well.

That's not correct, the Emanage and Emanage Ultimate are still available.

The Emanage is no longer available new anymore.

Have you thought about the AEM FIC though? These work really well on the Supra, http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-electronics-ecus-fuel-controllers-aem-p-3555.html

Fitting cost for one of these is about £400 approx.

Thanks

Paul

Time Attack Club Pro RWD 2nd & 3rd 2010

Time Attack Club Class RWD Champions 2009

[email protected]

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk

http://www.porterfieldbrakes.co.uk

That's what I received when I emailed Paul Whiffin about it.

I have one fitted to my car running BPU. Was able to wire it in myself and set it up myself. It does allow the you to bypasses the airflow meter & maps by speed density.

Not heard of it doing this but it may well do :-has launch control built in & can control boost with 2 switchable fully programmable settings.

I got mine for £80 which is what i would of paid for a fcd so thought why not. I have not had any issues with mine and it is running as it should.

You can vary the tables etc but would recommend a pro doing it. I just downloaded a supra file from somewhere and away the car went. AFR gauge showed i was running perfect as well.

Mate, can you confirm if the MAP ECU 2 is able to control ignition timing?

Do you have an AFR graph or a RR graph?

Well so far you've been told the E-manages have been discontinued, you won't need ignition timing adjustment, and the MAP ECU can do everything that's required. All of these are misleading to wrong. I hope you are still confident in your choice of mapper :)

According to this it can retard and advance the timing:

http://www.amber-performance.co.uk/product.php?xProd=6813&xSec=78

Just going to get the authorised trader JoeatPHR on here to confirm it and I'm good.

I'm feeling pretty confident lol.

Sorry dude, the HKS F Con V Pro is just too much money and wayyy out of my budget. I'm the guy who contacted you about the AEM FIC by the way.

I understand about the budget dude but we cannot stress enough the difference decent mangement makes to the way the car drives etc, plus something like the syvecs can do traction as well, think of the complexity of your car and you want to fit a very cheap/basic ecu to it, would you go buy a new 3D tv and blueray system and connect it to some really cheap speakers expecting it to sound the daddy, why dont you run lower boost and stock injectors till you can afford a decent ecu even if you go secondhand, there are a couple of AEM's for sale or are you auto????

As said from now on we will not supply etc any piggybacks, the customer is welcome to order themselves and have them sent but will not garuntee you will be 100% happy with the finished article, with a standalone ie syvecs or F-con he will keep mapping for no extra till a customer is satisfied but with the cheaper ECU's it is sometimes like banging your head on a wall and it is costing us far too much time to sort these things and make run as toyota intended.