The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Injured Intercooler - how to check?

James

Righty, I had a bump back in March and the exhaust of the car in front (old Volvo 340) managed to push against my Greddy 2 row FMIC.

It has left an impression on it (I will take pics).

What I'm wondering is how I can check (pressure test or whatever) if it is still usable or if the fin damage is to too high an extent?

When I drove the car to the assessor it was reading the correct values on the boost gauge, but that could mean that 0.8 on the gauge could be higher at the turbos to compensate, right? (bad news if so!)

I read somewhere about plugging the ends and dunking it in a bath or such and watching for bubbling? Problem with this is how much bubbling is too much! :taped:

Sorry for being so clueless! Any help would be great!

Thanks! :)

Righty, I had a bump back in March and the exhaust of the car in front (old Volvo 340) managed to push against my Greddy 2 row FMIC.

It has left an impression on it (I will take pics).

What I'm wondering is how I can check (pressure test or whatever) if it is still usable or if the fin damage is to too high an extent?

When I drove the car to the assessor it was reading the correct values on the boost gauge, but that could mean that 0.8 on the gauge could be higher at the turbos to compensate, right? (bad news if so!)

I read somewhere about plugging the ends and dunking it in a bath or such and watching for bubbling? Problem with this is how much bubbling is too much! :taped:

Sorry for being so clueless! Any help would be great!

Thanks! :)

I need to do the very same thing tomorrow on a car. I was thinking about getting something that fits in the pipe (don't know what yet) & putting a tyre valve on it so i can put about 2 bar into it using a foot pump. Maybe something like a tin of beans without the beans in it & still having the 2 ends would work :search:

Rab, there is a guy in Kilcock (Kilcock Radiators 01-8287435) that does radiator re-cores for us on a regular basis and obviously he needs to check his work before he sends it out.

I'm sure if you asked nicely he would happily test your intercooler in the same way he tests the radiators, provided he has the right bits to seal it up.

HateEvent, could you find a similar business in your neck of the woods?

• 4 weeks later...
I need to do the very same thing tomorrow on a car. I was thinking about getting something that fits in the pipe (don't know what yet) & putting a tyre valve on it so i can put about 2 bar into it using a foot pump. Maybe something like a tin of beans without the beans in it & still having the 2 ends would work :search:

Rab, there is a guy in Kilcock (Kilcock Radiators 01-8287435) that does radiator re-cores for us on a regular basis and obviously he needs to check his work before he sends it out.

I'm sure if you asked nicely he would happily test your intercooler in the same way he tests the radiators, provided he has the right bits to seal it up.

HateEvent, could you find a similar business in your neck of the woods?

Rab, I was at Kilcock Radiators this morning and I can confirm that they will happily test an intercooler for leaks if you are still in bother.

PM me for further details if you wish buddy.

HateEvent, sorry mate, I know this does S.F.A. for your problem. But like I said any radiator repair centre should accomodate you in the same way.